Finally here's one from the front with my hair sticking up
http://screencast.com/t/nyHGGWdWW

I've read different terms used for different types of balding, just wondering:

What type of balding am I?

:laugh:

MoBishop

Established Member
Reaction score
Diffuse thinner with slight temporal recession. Your hairline is still in tact though, which is good. I second Swoop, have you thought about finasteride?

afferd

Reaction score
wow, your hairloss is only a little worst than mine at 23... feelsgoodbrah
Thanks GI Joey - that gives me some comfort brah ;)

Are you on finasteride?
I second Swoop, have you thought about finasteride?

Yeah tried finasteride a while back but got sides so since then I've just done nothing and as the thinning was very gradual I didn't really care too much.

I read about people scaling back the dose at the start and then working their way up, but to be honest the sides kind of scared the **** out of me, so I don't think I'd consider finasteride or dutasteride again in a hurry.

My main issue is the itching over the past couple of weeks, I've woken up every night scratching my head.

What's weird is I haven't noticed any shedding like some people (either on my pillow or in the shower - literally nothing).
My scalp is in good condition, it's not even red, so I don't think there's any weird infection like some have.

I'm 34 so my hair loss has been very gradual and so wasn't worrying me much, but with the recent itching I'm guessing what I'm feeling is DHT finally kicking my *** and I've lost quite a bit on my crown since the itching began (although I haven't seen the hair fall out anywhere).

So I'm gonna try topicals first (RU and CB I feel are a little too experimental for me, and to be honest I can't afford them). So from what I've read that leaves me with:
1) topical spironolactone (S5) to block the androgen receptors that DHT normally attacks
2) kill or remove some of the scalp DHT with azelaic acid and/or keto (Nizoral shampoo)

I realize 1 and 2 will never be as effective as lowering DHT from within, also I'd much rather take a pill for $1/day, but finasteride and dutasteride aren't really an option for me.

So I've already started Nizoral twice a week and my S5 arrived today. In order to aid applying it, I'm gonna get buzzed and think it's easier to take photos for comparison after buzzing it the same length each time.

I'll try the nizoral and S5 for a few weeks and see if that at least stops the itching, then I may add minoxidil for a bit of regrowth on the crown.

So my questions are:
1) With my type of balding (diffuse thinning) would I be a good candidate for topical S5?

2) Can anyone point me to any threads showing whether azelaic acid is effective or not?

(obviously it won't come close to finasteride/dutasteride, but if it's cheap and does something it might be worth a try)

kmm179

Established Member
Reaction score
To be honest I havent heard anyone really have success with S5 spironolactone.

maxou

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
looks like mine, start finasteride or dutasteride... you'll be fine

rebuv

Reaction score
Just like the others said it looks diffuse thinning toward NW4 or NW5 , same here but in younger age (21) , do u remember when it started ? and which areas did it attack first when it began ? how long did it take to reach this situation now ?

MoBishop

Established Member
Reaction score
Afferd,

I think the nizoral will help with the itch a bit. Switching from a traditional shampoo to a ketoconazole shampoo (Regenepure DR) has greatly reduced it. I used to wake up scratching and had issues with dandruff, but Regenepure has totally eliminated the dandruff while also greatly relieving the itch

afferd

Reaction score
do u remember when it started ? and which areas did it attack first when it began ? how long did it take to reach this situation now ?

Looks like I'm a diffuse thinner and it's been very gradual over the last 10 years, so there was no day that I can pinpoint as being the start.

But my crown being visible has happened rather more quickly accompanied with "The Itch" - that only took a few weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

I used to wake up scratching and had issues with dandruff

Good call, been on nizoral for a few weeks now and it hasn't helped much. Did you start nizoral, Regenpure and Proscar all at the same time?

Maybe your itch went away because of the Proscar?

xmerc

Reaction score
You have some recession with diffuse loss and hair quality loss all over your scalp (mainly centered around your crown).

Are you on finasteride?

Agreed. It does not look bad at all - you can slow down and possibly stop the process with the right regimen.

MoBishop

Established Member
Reaction score
Looks like I'm a diffuse thinner and it's been very gradual over the last 10 years, so there was no day that I can pinpoint as being the start.

But my crown being visible has happened rather more quickly accompanied with "The Itch" - that only took a few weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

Good call, been on nizoral for a few weeks now and it hasn't helped much. Did you start nizoral, Regenpure and Proscar all at the same time?

Maybe your itch went away because of the Proscar?

I've never used nizoral before because I hear that it's pretty harsh and I've always had a dry, sensitive scalp. I started Regenepure pretty much at the same time as Proscar back in October 2015.

I still have the itch here and there, but not as bad. Either one may be responsible, but I'm leaning toward the shampoo. It's done wonders to relieve my dry scalp and dandruff is no longer an issue.

KO21

Established Member
Reaction score
I've never used nizoral before because I hear that it's pretty harsh and I've always had a dry, sensitive scalp. I started Regenepure pretty much at the same time as Proscar back in October 2015.

I still have the itch here and there, but not as bad. Either one may be responsible, but I'm leaning toward the shampoo. It's done wonders to relieve my dry scalp and dandruff is no longer an issue.

Mo,

I've been on Proscar 1.25 and nizoral since December 2015.

Similar regimen and timeline.. How's it's going for you?

MoBishop

Established Member
Reaction score
Mo,

I've been on Proscar 1.25 and nizoral since December 2015.

Similar regimen and timeline.. How's it's going for you?

Hard to tell to be honest with you. I feel that using a keto shampoo (I use Regenepure instead of nizoral) has done some to relieve scalp itchiness and has done even more to get rid of dandruff. The jury is still out on Proscar. Haven't had any sides, which is good. However, I feel like I've receded more at my temples. Could just be in head though.

How have you been progressing? Any noticeable changes?

KO21

Established Member
Reaction score
Nothing really.. I think the hairline is getting worse though. I swear it depends on the day and my mood. Sometimes I think it's getting better, sometimes worse. I have a lower libido and scalp itch (comes and goes). Crown depends on lighting lol , sometimes looks fine, sometimes looks terrible, and a lot of time time it just looks like mediocre.

Still too early in the game for us I guess. All the best man. Cause this is a nightmare.

MoBishop

Established Member
Reaction score
Nothing really.. I think the hairline is getting worse though. I swear it depends on the day and my mood. Sometimes I think it's getting better, sometimes worse. I have a lower libido and scalp itch (comes and goes). Crown depends on lighting lol , sometimes looks fine, sometimes looks terrible, and a lot of time time it just looks like mediocre.

Still too early in the game for us I guess. All the best man. Cause this is a nightmare.

Oh man, that sounds exactly like me. Like today, I feel like my hair looks great. Two days ago, the opposite. I have the scalp itch too (not as bad as it was), but I've been (so far) lucky with the libido. Being a younger guy may help my cause a little bit, but who knows. Light is deceptive--try to avoid looking at your hair in harsh lighting if you can. It messes with your psyche.

All the best to you too brother, male pattern baldness really is a curse. Keep me posted on your progress too, we are in a very similar situation so it'll be interesting to compare.