What Vitamins, supplements should i take

ugem12

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am at 20th month of mine regimen with big three. I hav't yet used any supplements or vitamins, and don't know much about. Please guide me bit how they help and which should be supplements i should add to mine regimen.

Thanks a lot,
ugem

CCS

Reaction score
just get the nutrition the FDA recommends and you won't get loss from deficiency. If you want to protect your hair a bit more, get arginine. And if you want to give it more builing blocks, which may or may not do anything, take MSM. Some guys on here say it is good. I just take it for my joints, though mine is very cheap and maybe synthetic. I don't know if that is a problem.

ugem12

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks collegechemistrystudent,

Sorry for mine ignorance but, if arginin or msn is igridient or name of suppliments ? if igridients then which suppliment should i better take for them and if some online resource than plz let me have.

Thanks a lot,
ugem

CCS

Reaction score
they are names of supplements.

you can also get arginine from vegetables, especially the grean ones. I don't know how much though.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's what appears to be a legitimate study with biotin that was published in a European medical journal. I'd certainly like to see other corroborative evidence for their findings, but maybe there's some truth to it:

Authors: Floersheim GL.
Institution: Dermatologie FMH, Rennweg 15,CH-4052 Basel; Switzerland.
Title: "An examination of the effect of biotin on alopecia and hair quality"
Source: Zeitschrift fur Hautkrankheiten. Vol 67(3) (pp 246-252+255), 1992.

Abstract: "The effect of a daily oral dose of 2.5 mg biotin was studied in 93 patients with the symptoms hair-loss (mostly androgenetic alopecia) and reduced hair quality. The mean duration of treatment was 7.9 +/- 2.8 months. An obvious improvement of hair-loss was reported in 64%, and a slight improvement in 9%. Hair quality was clearly improved in 70% and slightly in 12%. Brittle finger nails as an additional complaint were improved in 80%. If alopecia, decreased hair quality and brittle finger nails occurred in combination, improvement was observed frequently collectively. The study allows - as already shown in a previous investigation concerning brittle finger nails - to suggest biotin as an effective and well tolerated therapy in cases of alopecia and decreased hair quality."

Bryan

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
What is the recommended dose for MSM?

I'm thinking of adding it to my regimen.

My local herb store sells...

Glucosamine MSM Complex Tablets
Glucosamine, Chondroitin & MSM Complex Liquid
Glucosamine, Chondroitin & MSM with Omega 3-6-9 capsules
Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM tablets
MSM 750 mg. Capsules
MSM Powder

Which would be the most effective to add to my current regimen?

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
go for the straight MSM. Look for it in 1000 mg bottles and take at least 2 per day, taking 1 each with or immediately after a meal.

(I personally take <2> 1500 mg daily - available at vitacost.com>

Glucosamine is good stuff too - but you probably won't need it until you're well into your 40's.

mgmt

Reaction score
hair_tomorrow said:
go for the straight MSM. Look for it in 1000 mg bottles and take at least 2 per day, taking 1 each with or immediately after a meal.

(I personally take <2> 1500 mg daily - available at vitacost.com>

Glucosamine is good stuff too - but you probably won't need it until you're well into your 40's.

Weight-lifters use a similar pill as a joint/cartilage supplement. As about 50% of the guys at my gym have some sort of shoulder issue's, they lean on this stuff for a little relief.

The only thing I don't like is the rumored, faster growing body hair :(

G

Just to clarify,

straight up MSM doesn't have to be taken with a meal. Just with a full glass of water.

G

How many mg do you guys recommend taking of biotin a day for hair?

Thanks.

G

JWM said:
2.5 mg of Biotin a day Jay.

Hey JWM,

all i see on online sites for biotin are mcg, which i assume are micrograms. there are 1000 micrograms in a milligram right? So that means I need 2500 micrograms of biotin a day?

Or is it 2.5 mcg a day that I need?

THanks.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
2,500 mcg (micrograms) = 2.5 mg.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
JayMan said:
Just to clarify,

straight up MSM doesn't have to be taken with a meal. Just with a full glass of water.

Better on a full stomach as it is a sulphur based supplement and is reported to have the capability of causing gastrointestinal distress if taken on an empty stomach.

~ h_t

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
JayMan said:
How many mg do you guys recommend taking of biotin a day for hair?

Thanks.

I'm doing 5000 mcg daily - broken up in 2 doses during the day.

G

hair_tomorrow said:
JayMan said:
Just to clarify,

Better on a full stomach as it is a sulphur based supplement and is reported to have the capability of causing gastrointestinal distress if taken on an empty stomach.

~ h_t

so that explains that yesterday. btw those msm pills taste disgustinggg. lol.