whatever happened to...

nextstep

Reaction score
when i started using propecia 4 years ago I remember reading that there some other DHT inhibtor (of both types of DHT) that was waiting approval by the FDA. Does anyone know what it is called or if/when it got approved? Propecia only blocks one of the types of DHT and I am interested in blocking both.

JJ Gittes

Established Member
Reaction score
I think what you're referring to is a medication that blocks both type I and II of the 5 alpha reductase enzyme. By blocking both enzymes, scalp and serum DHT is reduced to a greater level than what you get with Propecia.

Yes, there is a med that does this and it's called dutasteride (brand name 'Avodart'). It's been approved by the FDA to treat an enlarged prostate, but GlaxoSmith Kline, the pharmaceutical company, decided not to market the drug for hairloss.

Lots of people take it off-label for hairloss, however.

nextstep

Reaction score
thanks for the info. Do you or anyone know if this product works better than Propecia? Are there additional side effects? Is it available by prescription only? expensive?

Petchsky

Reaction score
Hi,

Propecia stops 70/80 percent of DHT while Avodart stops 90% on a 0.5 dose. Therefore Avodart is stronger and blocks both types. This can be bought without a prescription from numerous websites, try http://www.qui.co.uk they ship all over and are really cheap. From what i know there are not any additional side effects but it is stronger than propecia. Like propecia it is most effective of the crown, only more so but does work for ther entire scalp.

KK

Reaction score
Petchsky

Have you tried the Avodart? I am tempted to give it a go.