Whats a good regular shampoo to use?

Iggy

Reaction score
Whats a good regular shampoo to use when your not using Nizoral? I heard that Herbal Essence is good.

Also whats the effect on products like styling mousse and gel on the hair? I heard that staying away from alchol based products is best and when using mousse, avoid applying it on the scalp and the root of the hair itself.
Is this ok, or should I avoid these products altogether?

Last question, where does one buy Nizoral? Do you need a prescription for it?

dudler

Reaction score
No one answer...

As with most things on this forum, you'll get a lot of varying opinions to the questions you've posed.

Re: shampoo to alternate with Nizoral. I've read every shampoo-related discussion on here that I could find, and the majority seem to recommend using a mild, thickening shampoo on the non-Nizoral days. A lot of people like JASON Thin-to-Thick shampoo, which you can get at health food stores, some GNC stores, and even the occasional Wal-Mart (or so I hear, haven't ever seen it myself). There are many who advocate against using shampoos that have Sodium Laureth Sulfate in it. That's a sudsing agent that is used in floor cleaners and engine cleansers as well. Yes, Nizoral has SLS in it, so that's another good reason to go natural and mild on the off-days. I happen to like a natural shampoo for thinning hair called Victorian Cypress by Nature's Gate. You can find it at health food stores or various online stores.

Styling products? It's wonderful if you have enough hair to make use of such things. Personally, I'm a diffuse thinner, so there's no way I touch styling products, because they tend to mat the hair down and expose bare areas of scalp. The days of spraying back the hair are gone for many. Also, I think many don't want to throw any unknown variables into our hair loss regimens. The philosophy being that the fewer things that you put in your hair that aren't proven to be effective against hair loss or scalp treatment, the better.

Do a search here on the term 'Nizoral' and you'll find a wealth of information. In a nutshell, you can get a non-prescription (blue bottle) version of Nizoral at any drug store and Wal-Mart. It's got a 1% concentration of the main ingredient thought to help with hair loss, or you can get a prescription for the 2% version. Most posts on this site will recommend using it only every 2-3 days.

avri

Established Member
Reaction score
It's not necessary to shampoo every day. Not only that, but because Nizoral is much more powerful than a regular shampoo (has a drying effect that's sucking all natural oils), the problem of excess shampooing is even worse if you use nizoral at least twice a week as you should. Because I like to shampoo daily despite all that, I'm using the mildest shampoo I can find for the off-Nizoral days. Which means a baby shampoo. Works great for me.

avri

gonna_win

Experienced Member
Reaction score
my doctor says that baby shampoo is good

haircameback

Reaction score
I've been using Dr Lee's shampoo 2x week for 6 months & I like it-No idea if it's effective vs hairloss because I'm using other products-but my hair feels thicker after I use it...

marsbtchsx

Established Member
Reaction score
im with gonna_win....when im not on nizoral days i use baby shampoo with a cinditioner

Petchsky

Reaction score
I always use a conditioner after using Nizoral... think everybody should. Health stores and alternative medicine shops sell some excellent natural oils shampoos and conditioners that i think are good for the scalp... and one thing i noticed is that after shampooing and conditioning my minoxidil application feels like it just soaks in to my scalp and dries quicker than normal.

Recently bought aloe vera with Keratin shampoo/conditioner from Holland and Barrets which is great along with a jojoba conditioner which makes my hair and scalp feel great. Alternatating these with head and shoulders and baby Johnsons baby shampoo keeps things fresh

misterium

Reaction score
Try Mane & Tail brand conditioner .. it's great for horses and humans !

I use it after Nizoral and let it sit for a couple minutes, good stuff.
Big bottle too.

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Here is my hair routine that has really been helping me:

day 1: First wash with Vive thickening shampoo for men, leave it on for 1 min, then rinse. Then I apply Nizoral 2% and leave it on for 10-15mins (take shower at this point) and rinse. Get out of shower, spray folligen on hair, use folligen lotion on front, use Vive thickening mouse, and blow dry.

day 2. First wash with Vive thickening shampoo for men, leave it on for 1 min, then rinse. Then I use Selsun blue. Leave it on for 5-10 mins and rinse. Get out of shower, spray folligen on hair, use folligen lotion on front, use Vive thickening mouse, and blow dry.

day 3. First wash with Vive thickening shampoo for men, leave it on for 1 min, then rinse. The use Vive conditioner and leave on for 3-5mins and rinse. Then I spray folligen on hair, use folligen lotion on front, use the Vive thickening mouse, and blow dry.

Repeat days 1-3.

The Nizoral and Selsun will make your hair a little flatter and thinner looking but the vive shampoo and mouse helps counter it a little... However, in the long run the Nizoral, Selsun, and Folligen keeps your scalp and hair nice and healthy.

misterium

Reaction score
^ Is it really necessary to shampoo once, then again ?

I think you could probably go straight into the Nizoral THEN condition.. and skip the Vive.

However you should probably rotate the Vive with the Nizoral and the others... just one type per day instead of two, would be my way.

I think over shampooing is a bit harsh.

ACT10Npack

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Any shampoo is good that will give you a more body or thicken to your hair and it's good to use a conditor that protect your hair from UV and other stuff that you do to your hair that can damage it.

Everytime I use Nizoral 2%, I appeal it first than VIVE shampoo and than PM green tea.

misterium

Reaction score
Yeah but why not just Nizoral then condition ?

Why 2 shampoos in one shower ??

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
IwantMyhair Writes:

Yeah but why not just Nizoral then condition ?

Why 2 shampoos in one shower ??

First, you want to use a cheap *** thickening shampoo to get the oil/dirt off your head. Second, you want to try to offset the flattening effect of Nizoral.

Second, Just washing once, isnt always a good idea. If you have dirt/oil on your head the Nizoral may not penetrate as effectively. So, instead of wasting the expensive Nizoral washing/rinsing and repeating you save some $$$ by using another shampoo.

So, at this point we are having nizoral contact a clean scalp for full absorption and we are off-setting the flattening effect, AND we are saving $$$.

Lastly, I personally do not recommend conditioning your hair after Nizoral unless it is a leave on (meaning you dont have to rinse the conditioner out). You dont want to do anything that might in any way reduce or interfere with Nizoral doing its full 100% effect :)

RBK Writes:

Why such long contact times [10, 15 minutes] with nizoral?

The basic idea is the longer the chemical Ketoconazole (the active ingredient in Nizoral) has contact with your scalp the more the Ketoconazole that can be absorbed.