What's going on with my hair? Please help

elmechanico

Reaction score
Hello community, I have finally mustered up the courage to register here and would like to know your opinion.
This is my story from start to finish.

I have had a high, uneven hairline since birth but my hair was always thick and never thinning or anything.
In summer 2013 I started weight lifting and eating a 4000 kcal diet. I also smoked a lot of weed during that time.Before that I was often depressed and didn't sleep a lot, so basically I was living a very unhealthy lifestyle.

During this time I took Minocycline, an antiobiotic, to treat my acne. I have read that constant antibiotic use kills off your good gut bacteria and have read anecdotal stories of Minocycline causing hair loss.

Anyway, so after summer I went lifting less and less and also started eating a lot less. This led to me losing a lot of weight. I lost even more weight when I was sick once for two weeks and couldn't eat anything but soup. During this time I also started taking high doses of Vitamin B5 for two weeks to combat my oily skin and acne. (This was in October 2013) After two weeks I noticed increased hair shedding and immediately stopped.
I have read on many forums that B5 causes either Telogen Effluvium or some other sort of hair loss. The hair loss was diffuse and I lost hair all over my head, most noticeably though on my hairline. The hair that I shed were long, thick hairs with keratin bulbs on them. I was shedding quite heavily during this time, every time I ran my hand through my hair multiple hairs came out.
I quickly concluded that it was Telogen Effluvium and started taking supplements(Omega 3,Zinc,Copper,Biotin, Vitamin B Complex, Iron, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12) to improve the health of my hair.
I have read that Telogen Effluvium can be caused by psychological stress(which I had because of my acne) and sudden weight loss/crash dieting.

Anyway, the shedding continued and it caused me to stress a lot. I would often stay home instead of going out and was always worried about my hair. These last few months the shedding slowed down a bit but I experienced a severe itching and burning situation on my scalp as well as dandruff(which I never had before in my life) and flakes on my scalp. Does this indicate psoriasis or seborrheic dermatitis?
I've also had a blood test done two weeks ago.
I have a low red blood cell count, high white blood cell count, low iron and ferritin(despite taking iron supplements) and a TSH(thyroid) of 3.13, which is on the high side.
I have an appointment with an endocrinologist next month where I'll further get my thyroid examined and also have an appointment with a dermatologist next month to rule out scalp issues.

Yesterday I started using Nizoral 2% shampoo. It's gotten rid of my scalp itching but also accelerated the shedding a bit.
When I run my hand through my hair a lot of dandruff flakes and what seems like tiny peach fuzz hair as well as normal hair come out.
When I inspect my scalp I can see dandruff everywhere on my scalp.
I'm not sure if the short, thin hairs on my hairline are regrowth or miniaturization. I'd say my hairline has receded by about half to one finger width since October. My hair has been getting thicker again though.I've also noticed my eyebrows getting thinner
Do you guys think it's something scalp related, Telogen Effluvium, male pattern baldness or something due to a deficiency? Here is a pic of my haurline now.
hairloss.jpg

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
if your diffuse thinning is on the sides and back of your head equally to the top it is not male pattern baldness. If your defuse shedding is on the top of your head but not on the sides than it is definitely male pattern baldness.

elmechanico

Reaction score
How can I tell if the thinning on the sides and back is equal? These areas naturally have more hair don't they?
My sides have definitely thinned though, I can now see my scalp on the side and my vertex has thinned a bit as well.
I have read that hair loss caused by stress(Telogen Effluvium) primarily affects the hairline and top of the head

Diffuser44

Banned
Reaction score
Stop spreading your stupid hair replacement propaganda all over these forums! To hell with your hair replacement crap.