WhatYouEgg's Story - (27 /caught it early)

WhatYouEgg

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been a bit luckier than some, but my hair is starting to go too and this is my story.

It started about this time last year when I thought my cowlick was starting to thin some. I have baby fine, perfectly straight hair so I've been teased about a bald spot since I was 12. I went to a derm and he confirmed I was fine and sent me on my way. There's not much male pattern baldness in my family. None whatsoever on my dad's side, and my grandpa on mom's side had a little bald spot but he died when I was so young I barely remember him. I guess he'd be a 3v-4v or so.

I've been watching my head over the past six months or so - I have a setup in my bathroom where I can see the back of my head easily (and no, I didn't plan it like that, it just happened) and I believe my cowlick is thinning even more. Everyone I've talked to says I'm completely nuts, including my hairdresser. Over the last few months my temples have also thinned considerably. The thinning is all in the NW2 area - i have bangs so no one's noticed this but me. I was able to pull out individual strands of hair that were lighter and finer than the rest of them , though, so my minitaurization was visible to the naked eye.

I went to another derm that said it might be male pattern baldness but it's too early to tell and WOULD NOT WRITE A SCRIPT FOR PROPECIA as far as he was concerned I wasn't "balding" yet (bastard). I really don't want to get my finasteride from anyone but a legitimate Doctor. I don't trust internet pharmacies.

So, I eased into my regimen over the last few months to see if I'd get any sides. About two months ago, I started nizoral (I have dandruff anyhow, so I should have been doing this much sooner). No sides. Hair feels nice.

About a month ago, I started Rogaine foam. No sides, other than the miniaturized hair in my temples shedding. I use it in the morning before work after my shower when my scalp is wet (it air dries totally by the time I get to work) and when I brush my teeth at bedtime.

I'm not hoping for much regrowth or even thickening. If I can maintain a decent head of hair for 10 years (figure the 5 or so years above baseline, and 5 more years as it continues to decay), I can shoot for a hair transplant by the time I'm 40, and if it decays past THAT point.. well.. i'm hoping hair cloning is out when I'm 45-50, heh.

I'm still looking for a finasteride prescription and then I'll feel secure. I really hope I don't get sides from them. If I do get one, can I start at like .25mg for the first week, and just add a quarter of a pill every couple of weeks until I reach the full dose?

Pics are coming but my USB cable is shot and I can't get them off my camera.

WhatYouEgg

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: WhatYouEgg's story (27) - caught it early

i've also never noticed hair on pillow, hair in shower, when i rub my fingers through my hair nothing falls out, so if I am losing it's very very slow.

Abercrombie

Reaction score
well I guess I'm in a somewhat similar situation, , even though I'm younger than you. My hair has been thinning VERY slow since i turned 19, but I realized, after taking lots of pictures from lots of angles, that the best thing I can do is just face the fact that I'm loosing my hair.

One day I would be in denial and style my hair in different ways so it looked fuller and just ignore the fact that the quality wasnt the same anymore, that the hair was thinner over all even though it was impossible for any1 to see without a close look. Next day I could get out of the shower and see my scalp in a lot of places and freak out..

So now (i'm 20), since 4 days, I've been on 1/4 proscar, and it feels great to finally have taken control. What I'm trying to say is if you think you are loosing it, you probably are, even if others dont notice. Try to get on finasteride asap!

WhatYouEgg

Established Member
Reaction score
all photos taken with pretty much the same lighting and an Iphone.

original.jpg

the "original" state of my cowlick, about a year and a half ago. as far as I'm concerned, no loss, or at least nothing significant. i've had this all my life, and this pic has the strongest lighting of the three.

baseline.jpg

start of treatments, you can see it's starting to extend back and forth more than it used to and it's filled in less. hair also felt more brittle and thinner all over my head.

3monthsin.jpg

after 2 months of rogaine and 3 months of nizoral. i shed some when I started the rogaine and got a little worse than baseline, and I don't think the regrowth phase of rogaine has kicked in yet, but look how much lusher and shinier my hair is from the Nizoral (this photo was taken on a Nizoral day). I haven't changed any of my normal hair regimen (same shampoos otherwise, etc) i don't know if it's regrown but it's definitely at least filled in. if it weren't for that thin line shaped like an S I'd even swear it made my cowlick smaller. I'm still looking for a finasteride prescription to keep my gains, I imagine I'll be able to get one well before my 2 year window with rogaine is up.

Reaction score
I think your hair looks good man (no :gay: )! That part in the back didn't even look like thinning to me, but it must've been, because in the last pic, it looks to have filled in; good for you! Are you on finasteride yet?

PEACE

WhatYouEgg

Established Member
Reaction score
not yet. I'm not in a MASSIVE hurry to get on finasteride, I'm super busy with work so I could see myself doing it in the next month or two. i imagine rogaine/nizoral will hold the line till then.

my temples also kind of weird me out, they're still NW2 territory (less than an inch from the highest brow ridge to where the temples start) but they're also kind of thin there too. is it true that it's normal to have less dense hair at the temples? i see it in non balding guys too (and I'm a norwood watcher). the middle of the hairline is perfect, no complains there.

Reaction score
Haha, dude that's a good question, I have no idea; that guy, Dr. Rassman says that hair is slightly thinner towards the edge of the hairline to allow for a transition from the forehead to the rest of the head, I guess?; unfortunately, I am a pretty avid norwood watcher too and I see alot of NW1's with temples that are slightly thin.....plus, I'm a black dude; although, I don't think that there's any difference, one of the hair transplant surgeons, I went to told me not to worry about the thinning in the front as black people's hair grows differently?! (hmmm...really? lol!) That sounded a lil' suspicious to me, but I said to myself "hey man, you're the expert" and tried to get on with my life and forget about things (for a little while), no regrets about going for a consult though, it's either him or another guy when the time comes. I look at old pictures that were taken of me a while back and it seems as though I have been thinning in my temples for a very long time (years) and no hair had actually fell out.

Your guess is as good as mine, tell me if you find out before I do.

PEACE!

WhatYouEgg

Established Member
Reaction score
haven't gotten on finasteride yet - had to dump my g/f and it got really messy. not really a stressor for me, but it was for her.

not a whole lot new here. I bought some of the topical to use in the evening because I'm not so sure I'm penetrating my hair with the foam. the hairline is NP of course but it's so hard to get foam on my crown. with the topical, I can actually put the dropper on my scalp and feel the minoxidil running down my head. feels gross, but at least I'm feeling SOMETHING, and I prefer the contact as I know it's hitting the scalp.

i also have sprouted small hairs all over my NW1 temple area, maybe about half an inch long. they may have been there before but I doubt it.