When is a good time to start minoxidil ?

misterium

Reaction score
So a few months back I gave minoxidil a try.. and went through about 4 bottles worth, before stopping due to irritation.

In that short period of time using those 4 bottles worth, I saw no benefits, and I believe that stopping was for the better. Now I rely soley upon my current regimine as shown in my signature.

I've been on Propecia a little over 3 months now (zero side effects, just hornier believe it or not).. I have NO intentions to get on minoxidil again anytime soon. If I do get back on minoxidil, it will be a Dr. Lee PPG free version as I must be allergic to PPG, since I had such horrible itching with minoxidil 5% AND 2%.... even while using nizoral.

I'll be 27 soon, and I don't have visible bald spots, just that thinning 'stripe' kinda look on my crown, which is easily fixed by using hair gel and slicking all my hair back.

Anyway, I was wondering.. since I'm a thinner at the crown/vertex with a full head of hair still and good hairline... when would I really want to start on minoxidil again? Should I wait a year to see if Propecia is helping me or not ?? (I think it is helping, even this early into treatment)..

Molecular Help

Established Member
Reaction score
IwantMyhair said:
I'll be 27 soon, and I don't have visible bald spots, just that thinning 'stripe' kinda look on my crown, which is easily fixed by using hair gel and slicking all my hair back.

Here's my theory on minoxidil:

Since the mechanism of minoxidil stimulates hair growth despite your male pattern baldness, it is essentially a cosmetic coverup. Sure, it's your hair, but you continue to bald at whatever rate your programmed to and your minoxidil regrowth just covers up areas where it is noticible. Since you can hide you thinning, I don't think it's necessary.

Minoxidil is demanding- instructions specify two applications a day, and you need to wait four hours before shampooing it out after an application. Many people have irritation issues and flaking as well. Also having to stare at your thinning hair up close in the mirror while applying it sucks!

The finasteride you're using has around a 40% chance of giving you noticible regrowth in the crown/vertex area. It may work for you- give it a year or so.

Minoxidil is the best growth stimulant known to man... but it's hassle and if you don't need to hide anything don't bother because it's not stopping you from losing your hair in the long run.

Good Luck!

MH

Molecular Help

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry if that post sounded like I was talking to a newbie.... I overlooked your previous experience with minoxidil. Well you know the fun of applying that stuff.

Still though I don't think anyone should worry about minoxidil until their hair loss is noticible enough to bother them.

Peace!

MH

DC

Reaction score
I am about the same age as you. I also have wondered about minoxidil and the best time to take it. I have been on propecia since I was 21 and definitly think it has at least slowed down my hairloss. Personally, I think you should give it some more time. It took me over a year to start seeing results from it..

misterium

Reaction score
Thanks MolHelp Thanks DC

Yeah man I do agree, I mean I'm not going to touch the stuff anytime soon.. I just wanted some others' opinions...

I figure, when I have a REAL bald spot to think about, THEN I'll hop on the minoxidil train again..

Til then, let this Propecia do its thing... and I think I'll be a good responder.

I suppose I hated minoxidil because it burned me, but when the PPG free version is tried, I don't think I'll mind so much.. I'm pretty good with a 'quit shot' of the stuff onto my thinning area.. I mean it wasn't so much a hassle to apply but it was a true painful itchy experience.

Thanks to emu oil, jojoba oil, Folligen, and a certain few shampoos, I now have my irritation under control. :)

Oh yeah, I wash 2 times per day.. A.M. & P.M. I wear gel during the day so when I get home I use a mild Baby Shampoo to get it out... I like to add 1 or 2 drops of pure Jojoba oil into my shampoo before letting it sit for a minute or two on my scalp.. it comes out VERY soft, which is strange for my thick Italian wolfman hair...

:)