Which surfactants to use in homemade topicals?

billythekid

Established Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of using Peg 7 Glyceryl Cocoate. Can anybody suggest if it is sufficient on its own to use with GTE and water?

Peg 7 Glyceryl Cocoate
Glyceryl Cocoate is a nonionic surfactant derived from coconut that is used as an emulsifier and mildness additive. It behaves in a very similar manner to Polysorbate 80.... In lab tests dermal application at a 50% concentration did not produce any irritation, and when injected under the skin at 10% it did not produce sensitisation, or prove to be an ocular irritant....

Or would either of these be more suitable?

Polysorbate 80 vs 20

I got this from another website

.....Both are used in food products as emulsifiers. That is, they bring insoluble substances (commonly fats) into contact with water. They are useful solvents for some organic compounds. On the scalp, they help transport organic compounds into hair follicles. Polysorbate 20 is a clear, colorless slightly viscous (slow-flowing) liquid and polysorbate 80 is a viscous liquid which is clear yellow and sometimes has a greenish cast.....

..... In "Conquering Hair Loss," it is recommended that people rub polysorbate 80 into their scalps. If you decide to do this, consider diluting pure polysorbate 80 with water......

The question I am asking is whether or not do I have to use alcohol when making a GTE topical?