White Tea Extract

A

Administrator

Was interested in getting people's opinion on this particular question.

I've been doing a lot of research lately on the health benefits of White Tea. There seems to be some signs that it vastly surpasses Green Tea in anti-viral and anti-bacterial and many other properties. The data is still slim but promising.

My question is regarding extract versus actual tea leaves. They always talk about the “extractâ€￾ being obviously more powerful than just “drinking the teaâ€￾, but I was looking at this page: http://www.lef.org/newshop/items/item61479.html and trying to determine exactly how much of the white tea and green tea is in there.

When they say 1000mg, what does this equate to as far as a typical "cup of tea". Would a cup of tea have ... say .... 50mg?

Appreciate any input.

oyo

Established Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen anythign that indicates the catechin composition of white tea is all that much different from green tea. For that matter, different types of green tea, and different locations where it is grown, different harvest times, etc. will change the composition. It probably isn't worth worrying abotu since the stuff is really cheap and healthy and its easy to use plenty.

I think the usual amount of (extractable) catechin is in the range of 100mg/g of tea leaf (and a normal 'cup' - 6oz-of tea is made with 3g of tea.)

A

Administrator

So the above link with 1000mg of extract would be equivilent to over 300 cups of tea?

Admin

CCS

Reaction score
Depends how strong you make your tea. Some tea houses give a big fat bag off loose leaf, while other places just give you a standard tea bag. But I read somewhere that 120mg per 8oz cup is typical. So that would be about 8 cups of tea in 1000mg.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
I know that Nioxin Hair products got White tea in it...They put that in there for a reason.

JayBear

Established Member
Reaction score
How much white tea is in white tea? confusing. maybe if we isolated a specific chemical or substance we could figure it out.

RAKBS

Established Member
Reaction score
I know a study was done that found 217 mg catechins in one cup of green tea from a standard Celestial Seasonings green tea bag. It also found 203 milligrams in Lipton green tea bags, and 175 mg in Wal-Mart store brand black tea.

So a 1000mg supplement is about 5 cups of tea.

Cassin

Reaction score
RAKBS said:
I know a study was done that found 217 mg catechins in one cup of green tea from a standard Celestial Seasonings green tea bag. It also found 203 milligrams in Lipton green tea bags, and 175 mg in Wal-Mart store brand black tea.

I have seen that same study. I wish they had tested more products. Pretty limited.

CCS

Reaction score
Cassin said:
RAKBS said:

I have seen that same study. I wish they had tested more products. Pretty limited.

i'm sure it depends on the size of your tea bag. Just look at the ounces. If you are really that concerned about penny pinching that you won't just use an extra bag a day, you can get fresh green tea in bulk at http://www.beyondacenturyonline.com. I think 1 pound costs $7 or something like that. Maybe it was $3. I forget.

Cassin

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
i'm sure it depends on the size of your tea bag. Just look at the ounces. If you are really that concerned about penny pinching that you won't just use an extra bag a day, you can get fresh green tea in bulk at http://www.beyondacenturyonline.com. I think 1 pound costs $7 or something like that. Maybe it was $3. I forget.

No penny pinching. I buy pretty expensive tea's as I enjoy the taste and I want quality.

A

Administrator

Turns out RAK was the correct one.

The 1000mg capsules are equlivilent to 5 cups of tea.

Not 300 :)

Admin

A

Administrator

oyo said:
I haven't seen anythign that indicates the catechin composition of white tea is all that much different from green tea. For that matter, different types of green tea, and different locations where it is grown, different harvest times, etc. will change the composition. It probably isn't worth worrying abotu since the stuff is really cheap and healthy and its easy to use plenty.
Given that they've begun proving that the less you mess with the leaf (drying, whithering, etc) the more health benefits it retains, white tea would be the holy grail in the health department, as it is the least processed type of tea on earth, even less than green tea. But I am still learning about all this...

purecontrol

Established Member
Reaction score
They are the same plant, it is all in the time they harvest it and prepare it. Exactly same plant, the white tea dose in deed end up with more polyphenols ect.

Your best bet would be to get the green tea and back tea in lose powder form mix them and cap them youself.

Also I don't suggest high doses, the point is to take a smaller dose over a long duration of time, not a high dose for a short duration of time.