Who has actual experience with Saw Palmetto

Guy Legend

Established Member
Reaction score
So I've read the article posted at this site, but I'm not truly convinced against using it.

Everything I've read seems to indicate that it does lower DHT levels, without garnering any side effects. As a natural supplement, I don't think there could be much harm. I've seen it mentioned in a lot of theraupetic books.

So my question (since I couldn't find much by searching) is that how many people have actually tried it for a prolonged period of time? I've seen a couple of people post here with positive impressions....

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
I took it orally off an on for a few years - no help.

I mixed some in w/ some polysorbate 80 and rubbed it into my scalp for about 8 months daily - no help.

I recently backed off from super zix (dropping the saw and poly 80) and am going w/ classic zix.

I honestly can't recall any instances from forum members where saw actually helped their hairloss. (now that I've said that - the positive reviews should come pouring in :)

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Another user, Boru, said he grew vellus and attributes it to SP. See his story here -

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... t=palmetto

I'm using it topically at the moment but it's too soon to report. Wikipedia refers to SP as a 'potent' inhibitor of both forms of reductase. Most people here are very sceptical of it. I'm willing to give anything a try, short of castration.

TAINTED-MEAT

Established Member
Reaction score
I used hair loss products that contained saw pawmetto as their DHT inhibitor for four years. I lost a lot of hair in four years. If you want to waste hair and money go for it. Had I known about other treatments, I would have more hair, but that's how it goes sometimes.

misterium

Reaction score
what about the Saw Palmetto inside of American Crew Revitalize spray?

is that a good addition to the formula or could it possibly be harmful?

Guy Legend

Established Member
Reaction score
TAINTED-MEAT said:
I used hair loss products that contained saw pawmetto as their DHT inhibitor for four years. I lost a lot of hair in four years. If you want to waste hair and money go for it. Had I known about other treatments, I would have more hair, but that's how it goes sometimes.

But you never took an oral dose, that theoretically would affect DHT levels in the blood, correct?

CCS

Reaction score
if this says anthing, i have have a lot of saw palmetto and will sell it to you for half the price of any place you can find it on the web.

I don't think it will do much. but you are welcome to use it if you don't mind the smell.

iamnaked

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I took oral saw palmetto for something like 3 years from 16-19, and i continued to lose ground. A BPH treatment does not an male pattern baldness treatment make.

CCS

Reaction score
the SP in AC spray is harmless, if not extremely weakly effective. I would disregard it completely.

Guy Legend

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm convinced now that its worthless.... :wink:

I hope you guys are making progress with Propecia/equivalent.

calgary2800

Reaction score
I took it for about 3-4 months, I got nothing out of it except for a fast receding hairline and it got so bad I had to see Bosley and than a derm md for propeica and Hair transplant options.

It is snake oil.

I'm on the real deal Propecia which I will stay on through the shedding phase because I trust the FDA more than something without fda approval.

CCS

Reaction score
Guy Legend said:
Ok, I'm convinced now that its worthless.... :wink:

I hope you guys are making progress with Propecia/equivalent.

It has kept me from loosing any hair in 2 years even though i was loosing fast right before. And it made my hair darker.

i did waste $22 on saw palmetto, but at least I did not loose any hair over it. the day after I bought it Bryan indicated to me that it was worthless.

Damn it stinks. Sure you don't want to buy it off me for $5? hehe.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I took it orally for over a year, no help.

TAINTED-MEAT

Established Member
Reaction score
Guy Legend said:
[quote="TAINTED-MEAT":cb571]I used hair loss products that contained saw pawmetto as their DHT inhibitor for four years. I lost a lot of hair in four years. If you want to waste hair and money go for it. Had I known about other treatments, I would have more hair, but that's how it goes sometimes.

But you never took an oral dose, that theoretically would affect DHT levels in the blood, correct?[/quote:cb571]

The saw pawmetto that I took was an oral dose....4years of lost hair.

cw37

Reaction score
Saw Palmetto does work. The only problem is the concentration of beta sitosterol in Saw Palmetto is very very low. I was redaing about a few of the prostate formulas on the market such as Prostate Miracle etc. The formula some of these companies offer has 300 times the beta sitosterol which, if my understanding is correct, is the key to blocking the DHT. I have done loads of research about enlarged prostate and some of these formulas seem viable to me. If you are just concerned about hair loss, I think beta sisterol is available as a supplement on it's own. One site said that even eating 1.5 pounds of Saw Palmetto doesn't give you as much beta sitosterol as some of these formulas do with just 2 pills. I think that's the key to why Saw Palmetto doesn't work in most cases. The berry itself just doesn't have the concentration needed in most cases to jump start hair growth. (Stay away from fatty greasy foods as well. These increase DHT levels dramatically).