Who started these myths about hair loss?

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I was stupid not to question the myth that "hair loss comes from your mother's side of the family". My dad passed this one on to me. He is balding, so had I known it was a myth, I could have begun treatment earlier.

Does anybody know how that myth was started? Just curious.

pleasehelpme

Established Member
Reaction score
yea i'm curious too but i know for sure that's bullshit because my grandfather has a shitload of thick hair with no balding whatsoever and he's 77.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
It was a guy named Steve from Toledo, Ohio.

hair mchair

Established Member
Reaction score
elguapo said:
I was stupid not to question the myth that "hair loss comes from your mother's side of the family". My dad passed this one on to me. He is balding, so had I known it was a myth, I could have begun treatment earlier.

Does anybody know how that myth was started? Just curious.

Probably someone observed this happening in a number of cases and made an unwarranted generalization.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
My hair growth, loss, shape, and hairline look identical to my mothers father. It is common enough that possibly someone made a generalization. But there are always exceptions.

HairLossTalk.com

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I guess the next question might be, are we doing anything to put an end to these myths?

I think the topic of hair loss should be taught in schools at an early age, say junior high. There is too much ignorance in this world, and when you're growing up you don't know what the f*&# is going on!

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yep, I remember that one. Too bad I didn't see it years and years ago. The pro would have been an earlier jump onto propecia, but the con being, of course, that I would have worried about it that much sooner, too.

This quote taken from the article:
"Studies of the genes (on chromosome Xq11.2^q12) encoding the two 5alpha-reductase isoenzymes show that they are not the genes associated with male pattern baldness."

It this pretty much the proof or explaination that although finasteride slows hair loss, it is not the end-all cure? And do you know if scientists are looking for the genes associated with male pattern baldness?

Also, if you haven't done so somewhere on this site already, ever thought of colocating all the hair loss myths into a link or something? Just curious.

Final question: why is it you don't advertize, even on the radio?

Thanks.