Why can't I use nizoral more than 3 times a week?

fallicule

Established Member
Reaction score
I've always have had a dry scalp. minoxidil, not suprisingly, only makes it worse. nizoral is the only thing that really helps it, T Gel a little bit but not really that much. But usually Nizoral is only effective for about one day, the next day my scalp is flakey again... Why can't I use it more? Will it mess up my hair or scalp? Thanks.

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don't know where the 3 times a week "rule" came from. I was advised by my hair transplant physician (whos specialty is dermatology) that I could use it every day if I so choose.

Be especially weary of anyone that is offering advice and makes it sound like it is a set-in-stone rule or something. Hardly anything in the area of hairloss is actually set in stone.

Red Rose

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Nizoral every day won't hurt but it's probably not necessary.

I wouldn't use it every day because

1) It will make your hair look like sh*t; and

2) I have never seen any anecdotal evidence that would suggest
using it more than three times a week would produce better results.

Like social_drinker says though nothing in hair loss is set in stone. God you even have people massaging piss on their scalp and claiming results.

juststarting

Established Member
Reaction score
I used nizoral for the first time last night. Followed it with a good conditioner. Man, it makes your hair look like sh*t the next day. Wow.

Red Rose

Experienced Member
Reaction score
fallicule if you can get hold of any a few drops of emu oil with the nizoral (rub together in the palm of your hand) does wonders for minimising dryness associated with Nizoral.

Red Rose

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My personal experience with Nizoral is that my hair always looks
a lot better and thicker when I leave it on for 10-15 mins (3-4 times a week) rather than the prescribed 5 mins.

Some people also use T-Sal before Nizoral to enhance ketoconazole activity.

Horses for courses.

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I just keep it on for 10 minutes, rinse it out and use my regular AC shampoo. Works for me.

fallicule

Established Member
Reaction score
Appriciate the advice guys. Where do they sell Emu oil? A GNC or a grocery store? Thanks.

misterium

Reaction score
DDM Wholesale ... do a search on google for them, good emu oil source.

:D

gonna_win

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Nizoral 2% is still a prescription medicine in some countries. Look when taking medications that have been specifically designed to modify thing's in you're body you should be careful. Take some time to talk with medical experts or contact medical insitutions and request reports done on the effect's of using things like Nizoral. It can do no harm so get out there and learn.

Red Rose

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Nizoral 1% Study
The effects of chronic use of 1% ketoconazole or a 1% zinc pyrithione shampoo on the general health of hair and scalp.

G. Piérard 1and G. Cauwenbergh2
1. Dept Dermatopathology, University of Liège, Belgium; 2. Skin research Center, Johnson &Johnson , Skillman, N.J., USA

Hundred male volunteers with mild to moderate dandruff and somewhat oily scalp, have used, in a double-blind fashion, a 1% ketoconazole shampoo or a 1% zinc pyrithione shampoo. The test shampoos were applied 2 to 3 times weekly for a total period of 6 months. Several parameters that affect the general health of hair and scalp were assessed at start, and after 1, 3 and 6 months. These parameters included the percent of hairs in anagen phase, the diameter of the hairs, sebum excretion rate at the hairline, and the number of hairs shed in the 24-hour period prior to each assessment. At the end of the study, the participants were asked to complete a questionnaire regarding the cosmetic acceptability of the test shampoos.

Forty-four ketoconazole users and forty-three zinc pyrithione users completed the 6 month study period. Analysis of the different parameters shows that the hair diameter gradually increases with chronic ketoconazole use (+8.46%) over a 6 month period, whereas the diameter shows a trend to decrease with zinc pyrithione use over the same period (-2.28%). The sebum excretion rate is reduced with ketoconazole (-6.54%) while it increases with zinc pyrithione (+8.2%) over the same period of time. The number of hair shed over a 24-hour period is reduced by 16.46% with ketoconazole and 6.02% with zinc pyrithione after 6 months. Finally, the percentage hairs in anagen phase increased by 6.4% and 8.4% respectively during the study time. Except for the percentage of hairs in anagen, which showed no difference between the two groups, all other parameters were significantly different in favor of the ketoconazole shampoo.

Both shampoos have been shown to be good anti-dandruff ingredients. Assessment of parameters than can affect the health of hair and scalp, suggests that both ingredients show distinct differences in the way they affect the scalp; indicating that ketoconazole increases hair diameter and reduces scalp oil, whereas zinc pyrithione seems to yield opposite effects. This suggests that, besides their effect on the lipophilic yeast Malassezia spp, ketoconazole and zinc pyrithione act though quite different mechanisms. An overall analysis of hair diameter changes as a function of changes in sebum excretion rate suggests that a reduction in scalp oiliness seems to result in an increased hair diameter. This suggests that, in people with oily hair, regular use of ketoconazole shampoo may result in overall hair fullness.

misterium

Reaction score
Well I use nizoral and H&S (zinc) about the same amounts each week.

I find the nizoral is good for anti-dht properties and the H&S really does kill off a lot of the itch.

Things are calming down a bit more now, since the finasteride is 'settling' in my system.. the first few months of Propecia made my scalp very itchy though!