Why Can't We Use This Method To Get All Our Miniaturized Follicles Back To Terminal??

Nadester

Experienced Member
Reaction score
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12734505

In this study, doctors transplanted MINIATURIZED follicles from bald men into immuno deficient mice and these follicles went terminal in a span of 22 weeks.

My question is why has no one thought of replicating this method AND THEN re-transplant(from the mice) those follicles BACK to their bald scalp(to the male scalp).
The follciles are in a healthy state, so we can use finasteride or any antiandrogen to stop DHT from screwing the follicles up again.

IvanXproject

Established Member
Reaction score
Interesting, you should post this in the New research, studies and technologies sub-forum so more people can see it

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think I can give you an explanation for this wouldn't be practical for humans.

When removed from the human scalp, the follicles aren't being attacked by DHT in the mouse, so they can recover.

You often cannot transplant hair into scar tissue, which would form after taking the grafts. Thus, the hair may be regenerated, but you cannot get it back. Maybe, with extremely strategically placed FUE, you actually could do this but the cost would be astronomical and the procedure would do nothing to give you back hair you've already lost.

Also, PETA already b****s about chimeras to grow human organs, so you know they'd be up the scientific community's *** about this.

InBeforeTheCure

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think I can give you an explanation for this wouldn't be practical for humans.

When removed from the human scalp, the follicles aren't being attacked by DHT in the mouse, so they can recover.

This isn't a likely explanation IMO. How often do you see fully miniaturized vellus hairs become terminal with just dutasteride, or with castration? And the other side of the coin is that in that study, fully terminal hairs actually shrunk, and after six months the hairs that were formerly vellus (average diameter 24 um) and the hairs that started terminal (average diameter 151 um) ended up at basically the same size (99 um average for the vellus, 93 um for the terminal). There seems to be a partial breakdown of donor dominance in this case which doesn't happen in human to human transplants.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
Even if the terminal hair did not suffer from DHT again when planted back in the human, how much vellus hair is is plausible to harvest from a balding man's head? Would that not leave a lot of scarring exactly in the area that (opposed to donor area) is not "protected" by surrounding hair? Would one have to wait for 22 weeks before the scarring is covered by the new hair?
What if the miniaturized hair doesn't grow? You are scarred forever on the TOP of your head?
Too many variables IMHO

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score

You often cannot transplant hair into scar tissue, which would form after taking the grafts. Thus, the hair may be regenerated, but you cannot get it back. Maybe, with extremely strategically placed FUE, you actually could do this but the cost would be astronomical and the procedure would do nothing to give you back hair you've already lost.

Also, PETA already b****s about chimeras to grow human organs, so you know they'd be up the scientific community's *** about this.
Well TBH the only drugs that FDA approved for hair loss were detected after studies on humans (the minoxidil patients and the guevedoces; Brotzu may ensue). This might mean animal hair models are not helpful for human hair loss studies. I think only some apes lose hair on their head as humans do.