Yet another Dr Lee Question

G

I am thinking of ordering some of the quick drying minoxidil from Dr Lee, but I do not know which of his products is the quick drying one?

Could someone point me in the right direction please :)

With the current weak dollar coupled with the UK being the rip-off capital of the developed world, Dr Lee's standard minoxidil works out at £8.63 for a 65ml bottle, whilst in the UK Rogaine charges £29.99 for a 60ml bottle!!

Thanks for any input.

Ty

Cassin

Reaction score
Product 500
5% Minoxidil Solution

https://www.xandrox.com/product.php#500Desc

Thats what I use. Nothing added, just reduced PPG. I love the stuff.

and for all of his products

https://www.xandrox.com/product.php

At that price I would go ahead and get a years worth. At least 6 months. I have yet to ever read a post of someone going from Dr Lees regular minoxidil to the regular off the shelf Minoxidil again. Except for some who got irritation from the extra alcohol I suppose. But Your scalp seems to be bullet proof anyway.

And if you order, in the comments section ask for extra droppers. The ones they have seem to wear out fast.

G

Cassin said:
Product 500 5% Minoxidil Solution

cheers for the info cassin.

Just to check this Product 500 is the quick drying stuff (in 30 minutes)?

Product 500
5% Minoxidil Solution

Quantity and Ingredients:
65 mL. 5% minoxidil (50 mg minoxidil / mL) in a liquid base of 50% alcohol, 30% propylene glycol, and 20% water

Also Product 540 (Minoxidil 5% without Propylene Glycol)

Product 540
5% Minoxidil solution formulated without propylene glycol

Quantity and Ingredients:
65 mL. 5% minoxidil (50 mg minoxidil / mL) in a liquid base of 50% alcohol, and 30% glycerin, 20% water

Would this dry even faster as it has no PPG (as opposed to reduced PPG)?

Also does anyone know how much PPG standard Rogaine contains?

cheers

Ty

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The no-PPG minoxidil is very greasy, I'm told.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
regular 5% minoxidil (Rogaine and generic) has 50% PPG and 30% Alcohol.

I hear the PPG-free minoxidil is actually greasier since it uses glycerin instead of PPG.

The Gardener

Reaction score
I confirm... #500 is what you want.

Once you get it and give it a test spin, let us know what you think. It's the sh*t.

G

cheers for the replies ladies.

Quote from Dr Lee's www.xandrox.com website.

It's the alcohol in the liquid base that allows for the absorption and penetration of minoxidil into the skin.

So if the standard Dr Lee Minoxidil has 50% alcohol as opposed to Rogaines 30% will this improve the absorption?

Also everyone seems to say that Dr Lee's minoxidil is expensive, like I said in the post above it will cost me £8.63 for 65ml of Dr Lee's Formula instead of £29.99 ($57.82 USD) for a single 60ml bottle of the slow drying Rogaine, no contest ! :) :)

The Gardener

Reaction score
After discovering Dr Lee's solution, and after learning that if you get a hand-made Minoxidil solution from a pharmacist it comes in a Dr Lee-style combination of absorbtion vehicles, I wrote an email to Dr Lee asking about it. Specifically, I asked why Rogaine continues to have a high level of PPG in it if the lowered PPG amounts were equally effective.

It was a long time ago and I forget the actual wording of the response, but he said the higher level of PPG in Rogaine gave it a longer shelf life and made it more stable over a more extreme range of temperatures. This is important for Rogaine, as it has a massive supply network to maintain, and it has to account for inventory storage at grocers stores. It is not as important for Dr Lee customers, as his product is made in smaller lots and is not kept on a shelf at a grocery store for a year before it finally gets purchased by a customer. Thus, one of the down sides of the Dr Lee mixture is that if exposed to a temperature extreme, there is a chance of some of the minoxidil precipitating out of the liquid although I have never personally experienced this.

G

The Gardener said:
Thus, one of the down sides of the Dr Lee mixture is that if exposed to a temperature extreme, there is a chance of some of the minoxidil precipitating out of the liquid although I have never personally experienced this.

How would one know if the minoxidil had precipitated out of the liquid ?

Would it be wise in light of this information to buy a years supply in advance, or maybe it's best to order every 6 months or so?

cheers again for all the information, very illuminating.

Ty

The Gardener

Reaction score
You'll be fine with a year's supply. I JUST received a fresh shipment of the sh*t from the Man, and the expiry date is 12/06.

I have had no precipitate issues per se, but I have noticed that the stuff tends to dry out a LOT faster than minoxidil. So, make sure to keep a cap on it. I could imagine that if left capless on a hot day, a LOT of the liquid would evaporate into the air... wheras Rogaine would hold its volume. No surprise really when you consider that the liquid is HALF alcohol, and you know how fast alcohol evaporates when in a warm environment. But, if you keep the cap on and keep it at room temperature, you should have no problems at all. I have been MORE than pleased with Dr Lee's product, his service, and the timeliness of his shipping. Trust me, you are really going to love it, especially for that difficult morning application. Thanks to Dr Lee, I have my mornings back.

G

The Gardener said:
I confirm... #500 is what you want.

Once you get it and give it a test spin, let us know what you think. It's the sh*t.

Is this the scalp friendly one?

Damn Revivogen isn´t doing my scalp any good :( It´s impossible to combine with generic minoxidil - impossible!!

The Gardener

Reaction score
Nesta, that is a matter of degree. I believe that Rogaine is 50% PPG (correct me if I am wrong?) Dr Lee is 30% PPG, so slightly more 'scalp friendly' if PPG happens to bother your scalp. There is another variant of Dr Lee minoxidil that is PPG-free, much more scalp friendly... but the PPG is replaced by glycerin, which is just as oily as normal Rogaine.

So, it depends on whatchawant, brotha. If you are looking for quick-drying, non-greasy minoxidil then go for his #500 mix. If you are looking for scalp friendly, then #500 is an improvement, but his PPG-free is best. However, the PPG-free is greasy.

Cheers, Gard

G

The Gardener said:
Nesta, that is a matter of degree. I believe that Rogaine is 50% PPG (correct me if I am wrong?) Dr Lee is 30% PPG, so slightly more 'scalp friendly' if PPG happens to bother your scalp. There is another variant of Dr Lee minoxidil that is PPG-free, much more scalp friendly... but the PPG is replaced by glycerin, which is just as oily as normal Rogaine.

So, it depends on whatchawant, brotha. If you are looking for quick-drying, non-greasy minoxidil then go for his #500 mix. If you are looking for scalp friendly, then #500 is an improvement, but his PPG-free is best. However, the PPG-free is greasy.

Cheers, Gard

Bryan is galactus, you are Yoda.

G

Cassin said:
tynanW said:
Just to check this Product 500 is the quick drying stuff (in 30 minutes)?

Yes or less than that.

From what I understand glycerin can take about 4 hours to dry.

The Regaine branded Minoxidil sold in the UK takes around 3 hours to completely dry (if it ever does) :freaked:

once again cheers for the info, I love you people (not like that)

Ty

The Gardener

Reaction score
Wow, Dr Lee's minoxidil is now $16?!

Rogaine is $25, but with coupon it is $15. Sooo, Dr Lee's is now just a buck more a month than Rogaine!@?

Screw the Rogaine, then. I'm going full time for Dr Lee's.

G

Turd Ferguson said:
Wow, Dr Lee's minoxidil is now $16?!

Rogaine is $25, but with coupon it is $15. Sooo, Dr Lee's is now just a buck more a month than Rogaine!@?

Screw the Rogaine, then. I'm going full time for Dr Lee's.

waahhhhheeeeyyyyyyyy!!!!!

G

does Dr Lee's minoxidil come with a dabber or applicator of some kind or do you just get a bottle with a normal cap on it?

cheers

Ty

Cassin

Reaction score
Well it has a screw on cap like you would find with any large bottle of soda on it at first.

It also comes with a sprayer & dropper in the box.

Again, if you want a dropper you should ask for an extra one in the comments section.

Also, while your at it, you might as well order one or two dauber bottles for .50 cents. Next time I am ordering several for future use and to see if it works well with my Copper-Peptides.