yet another proscar question...

albinoBOB

Reaction score
Will it in any way effect the hair I already have? Lets say I take it for a year. When I get off, Im assuming the hair I had will still be there correct?

For example... Im ordering my pills over the internet and have never really seen a doctor about it. Lets say that my hairloss was/is stress related. If I take finasteride, aside from side effects, will it hurt the hair that Im not really loosing?

gonna_win

Experienced Member
Reaction score
albinoBOB said:
Will it in any way effect the hair I already have? Lets say I take it for a year. When I get off, Im assuming the hair I had will still be there correct?

For example... Im ordering my pills over the internet and have never really seen a doctor about it. Lets say that my hairloss was/is stress related. If I take finasteride, aside from side effects, will it hurt the hair that Im not really loosing?

no finasteride cannot cause you to have hair loss, unless you have some alergic reaction to the chemical, i recoment that you see a dermatologist and discuss treatment for hairloss thought, it's not good to fiddle around with drugs without the advice of a medical expert

If you don't have male pattern baldness. start taking finasteride then stoping finasteride will not make you lose any hair.

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Actually, at the initial start Finasteride can and will speed up hairs that are already headed for termination. This ensues in the "sheds" that are so feared. This is a period that you just have to get through to see the positive effects. It's worth it (well, for me it was).

Also, keep in mind that shortly after stopping the ingestion of Finasteride, you will lose all benefit recieved. This means that if you had hair that was kept in place by the drug and discontinued its use, you would lose that hair. Now, will stopping Finasteride cause you to lose more than you would have lost if you never took it? I don't think so and to my knowledge no researchers or physicians do either.

Molecular Help

Established Member
Reaction score
albinoBOB said:

Well before we get too hypothetical, let me just ask you: where are you losing hair? Stress would cause hair loss throughout the head, including the back and sides. Are you thinning in the crown? Is your hairline receding? If so, is the hair just behind the hairline thinner than the rest of it? These are all signs of male pattern baldness and nothing else. If you go to your doctor without obvious baldspots or noticible recession, then they might chalk it up to stress. All they'll tell you to do is wait it out!

I've also heard people speak of something called a "hair pull test" that derms can do to diagnose male pattern baldness. I don't know about that, but I know anyone who catches it early is met with disbelief, even from doctors. Maybe a good dermatologist is different, but a general practitioner is likely to say something like "is you mother's father bald?" and work off that.