2% spironolactone and Hydrating Shampoo

JesusFreak

Established Member
Reaction score
First, spironolactone is a godsend for people who can't or don't want to take propecia. Actually, on paper, it should be more effective than propecia, because it blocks ALL androgens-85%-at the receptor sites on the hair follicles. People dont realize that there are several other androgens besides dht that can "dock" at the receptor sites and cause hair loss. This is the big reason propecia alone doesnt work for many people. BTW, spironolactone converts testosterone into estrogen, which is a growth stimulator. As I say all the time, my experiment with using topical spironolactone 2% for only 3 months gave me propecia result, with moderate to dense regrowth.

One of the drawbacks of using Dr. Lees 2% is that it contains alcohol and can dry out the hair, causing it to look thin and flat. The best remedy I have found ist to use a Hydrating Shampoo and Conditioner. There are several good hydrating shampoos out there. My personal favorite is the Crew all in one shampoo/condtioner hydrating shampoo. Another is Alterna, both the shampoo and conditioner. Almost every company makes their own hydrating shampoo. Most work because they contain wheat proteins that pull in and retain water in the hair. Great stuff and it make your hair seem thicker, because it doesnt dry out. Do a search on google and google groups for ideas on which brand that my work best for you.

Also, although i think the 2% spironolactone works best, i do alternate with the 5% to keep my hair from drying from the alcohol.

viperfish

Reaction score
Jesus,
Do you use the spironolactone 1x per day or 2x per day. Right now I'm using it twice per day but thinking about cutting it down to once, which I believe should be efficient. Were you using spironolactone as a single agent with propecia like results in 3 months?? Thanks. I'm also trying the American Crew spray as my aunt runs a salon and gets them for me for free. I'll give it a try seeing as you swear by it and for free yeah. Been using them the last couple of days and have had some crazy shedding, but will see what happens.

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i actually use loreal vive shampoo and conditioner for men...and that seems to keep the greasiness down ...but smart thinking using the 5% aswell to kick a handle on it

Seattle

Reaction score
JesusFreak said:
BTW, spironolactone converts testosterone into estrogen, which is a growth stimulator. .

Sounds like finasteride? spironolactone lead to gyno? Call me ignorant, but don't call me stupid.

George Costanza

Established Member
Reaction score
Sounds like finasteride? spironolactone lead to gyno? Call me ignorant, but don't call me stupid

Yes if you took it oally but not the topical version.

I've been using 2% spironolactone for the last 3 weeks 2x/day. I used 5% spironolactone for about 8 months without much success. Hopefully the 2% will work better.

viperfish

Reaction score
I agree the American Crew Revitalize Shampoo also makes my hair look like sh*t. makes it look really thin and I can't use it either. I prefer the revivogen shampoo and conditioner does a great job for my hair. Although probably not the same for everyone, but I do have shitty thin hair.

bluenun

Reaction score
Thanks for the link.

I could only find the 5% on the site, not the 2%.

Jesusfreak do you apply the spironolactone 2 times a day?
Are you washing your hair and conditioning every day?

If I was to start using topical spironolactone 2% (without minoxidil) should I expect to shed some hair if I am not losing any at the moment?

I think topical spironolactone might be suitable for my hairs that have become progressively finer in texture.

Dice_Has_Hair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
bluenun said:
Thanks for the link.

I could only find the 5% on the site, not the 2%.

Jesusfreak do you apply the spironolactone 2 times a day?
Are you washing your hair and conditioning every day?

If I was to start using topical spironolactone 2% (without minoxidil) should I expect to shed some hair if I am not losing any at the moment?

I think topical spironolactone might be suitable for my hairs that have become progressively finer in texture.
The 2% is on there, just keep looking. Shedding with spironolactone, yes you probably will. Especially if you use minoxidil with it.

viperfish

Reaction score
Yeah......you might notice some shedding but nothing ridiculous. I use spironolactone without the minoxidil and having experienced minor shedding if any associated with the spironolactone.

bluenun

Reaction score
Kalika I was thinking of using the 2% spironolactone without Minoxidil.

Thanks Chujgcha, I found the 2% in the link you posted.

Viperfish I see you are using the spironolactone 2%, how long for? Do you apply all
over your head? Are you on anything else like Propecia?

JesusFreak

Established Member
Reaction score
American Shampoo and conditioner made my hair look so thin.

I'm not referring to the American Crew revitalizing. I'm referring to the regular shampoo/conditinoer "All In One" moisturizing shampoo. I have a lot of hair, but it is naturally very fine, and this stuff makes my hair look and feel great.

http://www.americancrew.com/products/cl ... hampoo.htm

Yes, I used topical 2% spironolactone as a "single-agent" for only 3 months and obtained "propecia" results. I could comb my hair back in any place and see hundreds of shorter new hairs sprouting out.

It was so apparent that I watched the girl who cuts my hair do a double take, squinting her eyes and inspecting closer "did you know you have a ton of new hairs growing on your scalp?"

I've been using spironolactone for about 2 years and have not had any shedding, after that first initial one.

My case is significant because it has been typically thought that anti-androgens are not great at regrownig hair. And it is further significant because of the onset of my hairloss: 20 and the age I began using spironolactone: 33.

I apply the spironolactone mainly 1X/day, sometimes 2X.

viperfish

Reaction score
I've never tried that shampoo, but in the past have been pretty dissatisfied with American Crew products in general.
I apply the spironolactone 1x per day, but sometimes twice. I use revivogen 1x per day at night and recently have added in the American Crew Revitalize spray not because I think it's gonna do something for me. I get the spray for free so why not. I've been on this regimen for about 2 months.

kamui

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been using 2% spironolactone for two months...One bottle only last me about 3 weeks! Very expensive....it seems to be maintaining my hair with a little regrowth thanks to minoxidil 5%. I'm just thinking about quitting spironolactone and getting on proscar since spironolactone is costing me about 40 bucks a month anyway. Lower your price DR LEE!!! :-x :evil: :-x

JesusFreak

Established Member
Reaction score
Damn, a bottle of 2% spironolactone last me at least 3 months. You must be dousing your scalp with it. Youre probably using more than you actually need. If you want to continue the mega dose, then you might consider buying the spironolactone tablets, crushing them into a cream, for pennys in cost. Recipi's for homemade spironolactone can be found all over the net.

viperfish

Reaction score
One bottle of spironolactone lasts me about 5-6 weeks I am usually using it twice a day. The stuff is only $20 per bottle, that's not all that bad in the realm of hairloss products.