2 types of ALPHA

airtas

Reaction score
ok im a lil confused PROPECIA only blocks one type of enzyme?

is the other necessary to be blocked?

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I had read somewhere that type-I was responsible for 30-40% of DHT related hairloss while the other 60-70% is type-II.

finasteride doesn't necessaryly block type-I, I believe it causes the body to produce less of it (don't quote me on this)

airtas

Reaction score
hmmm

so based on that, finasteride wont stop hair loss if there is still dht in the body

G

Re: hmmm

airtas said:
so based on that, finasteride wont stop hair loss if there is still dht in the body

you need some DHT for other body fuctions.

gonna_win

Experienced Member
Reaction score
im pretty sure when i say this but i recomend you do some research yourself. finasteride works in type 2 DHT not type 1, it is type two that causes the hairloss. it works by inhibiting the enzyme 5-alpha reductase which converts testosterone to DHT

airtas

Reaction score
gonna_win said:
im pretty sure when i say this but i recomend you do some research yourself. finasteride works in type 2 DHT not type 1, it is type two that causes the hairloss. it works by inhibiting the enzyme 5-alpha reductase which converts testosterone to DHT
what is type one enzyme for then?

George Costanza

Established Member
Reaction score
"Recently, two isoenzymes of 5a-reductase have been identified in human tissue. The type 1 isoenzyme is found in scalp skin, whereas 5a-reductase type 2 is the predominant form in prostate.
If that's true then drink your green tea because it's suppose to be a type 1 inhibitor! :D

HairlossCA

Reaction score
Hey jimmystanley:

You have a very similar regimen to what I am trying, I just added Revivogen about a month ago.

How long have you been on Revivogen and how is this regimen working out for you? Are you at least maintaining?

Thanks-

jimmystanley

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i have been on finasteride for about a year now, i started to maintain after 8 months...so i lost for 8 months. however, i still continued to shed day by day. I've only been using revivogen for about 3 weeks. i know it's too early to make an assesment but i would say it has seriously slowed down the shedding. i'll see around 10-15 a day now. before it was a lot more. My goal (hope) is to stop dht related shedding and regain what i had 2 years ago when it looked like everyone elses. How are u doing after a month?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
The bottom line is that the type of 5a-reductase in hair follicle dermal papilla cells appears to be almost exclusively the type 2 version. That's why finasteride works against hairloss, and why specific type 1 inhibitors haven't worked very well in either human or stumptailed macaque tests.

Bryan

airtas

Reaction score
Bryan said:
The bottom line is that the type of 5a-reductase in hair follicle dermal papilla cells appears to be almost exclusively the type 2 version. That's why finasteride works against hairloss, and why specific type 1 inhibitors haven't worked very well in either human or stumptailed macaque tests.

Bryan
ok so type 1 doesnt reallt need to be blocked?

HairlossCA

Reaction score
Revivogen: It's very hard to say at the one month point. I want to beleive that it's working and it does seem like I am losing less hair, but this is totally inconclusive. I will take a more intensive look after the 6 month point and then the year point and thereupon decide to shelf it or not. If I can simply maintain my haircount then I will be thrilled.

Please let the forum know how it turns out for you at the 6 month/Year periods. Let's hope we fall into the lucky 70% responder category!

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
airtas said:
ok so type 1 doesnt reallt need to be blocked?

I'll hedge my bet just a little by saying that it isn't nearly as important for hairloss as the type 2 enzyme! :)

Bryan

Whoome?

Established Member
Reaction score
bryan thats what i thought too. but then what is Chujgcha talking about?
Quote from regrowth.com:

"Recently, two isoenzymes of 5a-reductase have been identified in human tissue. The type 1 isoenzyme is found in scalp skin, whereas 5a-reductase type 2 is the predominant form in prostate.
according to his post its exactly opposite.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
The statement "The type 1 isoenzyme is found in scalp skin..." is rather outdated information! :)

BOTH types are found in human skin: type 1 in sebaceous glands, and type 2 in hair follicle dermal papillae. For hairloss specifically, the type 2 form is much more important.

Bryan

Whoome?

Established Member
Reaction score
ahhh i see.. since type 1 is found in the seb glands, would that explain these numerous claims that dutasteride acctually cleared away acne, and a few who saw better results from dutasteride rather than finasteride.

airtas

Reaction score
Bryan said:
The statement "The type 1 isoenzyme is found in scalp skin..." is rather outdated information! :)

BOTH types are found in human skin: type 1 in sebaceous glands, and type 2 in hair follicle dermal papillae. For hairloss specifically, the type 2 form is much more important.

Bryan
what does the type one enzyme do? its purpose?