2 types of ALPHA

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
airtas said:
what does the type one enzyme do? its purpose?

It converts testosterone into DHT. DHT makes sebaceous glands nice and big and fat, and produce lots of sebum! :(

Bryan

George Costanza

Established Member
Reaction score
dutasteride blocks both types but does it block any more type 2 than finasteride? I wonder.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
George Costanza said:
dutasteride blocks both types but does it block any more type 2 than finasteride?

Absolutely! At the standard Avodart dose of 0.5 mg/day, dutasteride inhibits around 98%-99% of the type 2 enzyme. Finasteride at 5 mg/day inhibits about 90% of it. That's what I feel is the likely explanation for dutasteride's somewhat better performance against hairloss.

Dutasteride is an absolutely BUTT-KICKING type 2 inhibitor! :freaked2:

Bryan

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Is there evidence that dutasteride at, say, three times a week, inhibits type 2 better than finasteride taken every day? Would it make any sense to take dutasteride three times a week, propecia on the off days, on the theory that propecia would "catch" some of the type 2 that the reduced dosage of dutasteride misses, and that the combination would be more effective than finasteride alone every day? I'm a bit concerned about the possible neurological effects of dutasteride mentioned in past threads on this forum, but I'd like the most effective male pattern baldness treatment available.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
According to the Gisleskog et al dutasteride/finasteride studies which I've been posting about for more than the past two years, 0.1 mg/day of dutasteride was very very similar in its ability to reduce DHT as 5 mg/day of finasteride. Therefore, taking an Avodart three times a week would be the equivalent of taking 1.5 / 7 = 0.214 mg/day of dutasteride, which should easily surpass any REASONABLE quantity of finasteride that people would be likely to take.

I'm not a big fan of taking both drugs simultaneously or on alternating days.

Bryan

George Costanza

Established Member
Reaction score
dutasteride inhibits around 98%-99% of the type 2 enzyme
:shock:

That's a lot. Got to cause some shitty sides.

airtas

Reaction score
Bryan said:
George Costanza said:
dutasteride blocks both types but does it block any more type 2 than finasteride?

Absolutely! At the standard Avodart dose of 0.5 mg/day, dutasteride inhibits around 98%-99% of the type 2 enzyme. Finasteride at 5 mg/day inhibits about 90% of it. That's what I feel is the likely explanation for dutasteride's somewhat better performance against hairloss.

Dutasteride is an absolutely BUTT-KICKING type 2 inhibitor! :freaked2:

Bryan
now do u need all 98% of type 2 to be blocked

im sure all of type 2 isnt just hair loss

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
I noticed that. Is that because the dutasteride three times a week makes the propecia superfluous (i.e., wasted), or do you believe that there may be some health reason not to do so? Is it possible that more type 2 escapes the dutasteride at an equivalent of .214 mg/day dosage, that 1 mg propecia taken on alternate days would "get?" I don't see any reason to take them simultaneously. I guess the two options I'm considering are dutasteride by itself three or four times a week, or dutasteride three times a week, propecia four times a week.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm having some computer hiccups! Keeps double-posting on me! :x

Bryan

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan, did you mean to post the same thing twice? I meant by questions as followups to that post. Did you think your first post answered those questions? If so, I'm sorry to bother you with them. I like to understand the reasoning behind claims, not just get the claims, because no matter how much more knowledgeable someone is than me on a topic, I have to decide for myself what to do, and so I want their reasoning, not just their conclusions. I don't mean to be disrespectful, only inquisitive.

Edit: Ah, I see, never mind. <g>

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Ever since I got DSL recently, my computer has been occasionally losing connectivity to the Internet for god-knows-what reason, and to fix it, I have to put it in "StandBy" mode, then bring it right back. But when it does that, it usually re-posts the same thing I previously posted!! This is getting VERY annoying! :evil:

mvpsoft said:
Bryan said:
I noticed that. Is that because the dutasteride three times a week makes the propecia superfluous (i.e., wasted), or do you believe that there may be some health reason not to do so?

The first one: it makes the Propecia superfluous. There is also some mild little suspicion buried deep in my mind that there _may_ be some kind of incompatibility between the two molecules, that they may interfere with each other, etc., but mainly it's just that first issue you mentioned.

mvpsoft said:
Is it possible that more type 2 escapes the dutasteride at an equivalent of .214 mg/day dosage, that 1 mg propecia taken on alternate days would "get?"

Oh, I dunno... I suppose that's possible at a low dose, but my attitude is, why pussy-foot around with finasteride if you're gonna use dutasteride at all??

Bryan

Bismarck

Reaction score
Bryan is telling you bullshit.
The finasteride-dutasteride combination reduces DHT by 160%.

G

Bryan said:
There is also some mild little suspicion buried deep in my mind that there _may_ be some kind of incompatibility between the two molecules, that they may interfere with each other, etc.

because finasteride and dutasteride are doing a similar job in the body, prehaps they compete with each other.

G

airtas said:
what do u guys think of this product?

Ingredients
Water, Decyl Glucoside, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Cocamide DEA, Glycol Distearate & Laureth 4, Phenoxyethanol Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Saw Palmetto Extract, Azelaic Acid, Soybean Protein, Hydrolized Silk Protein, Silk Amino Acid, Hydrolized Wheat Protein, Panthenol, Vitamin E, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Ginko Biloba Extract, Ginseng Root Extract, Aloe Leaf Extract, Zinc Sulfate, Fragrance.
Directions
Wet hair, wash, and rinse. Do not repeat.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
Oh, I dunno... I suppose that's possible at a low dose, but my attitude is, why pussy-foot around with finasteride if you're gonna use dutasteride at all??
Two reasons. First, dutasteride also inhibits the type 1 enzyme and perhaps lowers DHT levels in the brain, which may be a bad thing. Taking less dutasteride may ameliorate those effects. At least, that's an unknown, possibly negative, and I would like to lessen the odds of bad things happening. Second, I still have, oh, 70 propecia pills, and I want to use them up. <g>

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
mvpsoft said:
Two reasons. First, dutasteride also inhibits the type 1 enzyme and perhaps lowers DHT levels in the brain, which may be a bad thing.

Hey, it's even worse than that, I'm afraid. Testosterone isn't the only substrate in the brain for 5a-reductase! For example, it also converts progesterone into dihydroprogesterone (DHP). It performs other conversions, too.

mvpsoft said:
Taking less dutasteride may ameliorate those effects.

One problem here is that I don't know if the OTHER conversions are performed by only one or the other of the isoenzymes, or by both of them. If it's performed by the type 2 enzyme instead of the type 1 enzyme (or even both), this issue may be fairly moot.

mvpsoft said:
At least, that's an unknown, possibly negative, and I would like to lessen the odds of bad things happening. Second, I still have, oh, 70 propecia pills, and I want to use them up. <g>

If you're really adventurous, you could also try emulating dutasteride's incredible ability to inhibit the type 2 enzyme by using much larger and more frequent doses of finasteride. Just as a wild guess, I figure taking a Proscar tablet four times a day (spread throughout the day, of course) might come fairly close to that.

Bryan

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Why isn't there topical versions of dutasteride and finasteride?