21 yrs old and already failed.

RoyD

Established Member
Reaction score
It all started back in 2010-11 when I was in my final year of high school. I began noticing a lot of hair on my hands in the shower while I shampooed. At first I didn't bother about it much since at that time I thought it was highly impossible for me to be balding since my dad wasn't really bald (He was around 55) and I was so young anyways.

However as I came to college I began losing more hair until the hair on my vertex/crown seems slightly thinner. I began using some coconut oil, olive oil with pepper, rubbing onions and all sorts of weird 'home remedies' for baldness to no avail. Then in December 2012 I finally went to a doctor who prescribed me 2% minoxidil. I had read about it online but didn't think it was available here in India. It was like a little Christmas gift and thought my problems would be solved.

Fast forward to July 2013 and after going from 2% to 5% and having various cycles of shedding and stable or low hair loss I realized the treatment was going no where. So after being scared enough by forums and horror stories I decided to go on 1 mg Finasteride daily along with the 5% minoxidil. Once again I thought the combination of Finasteride and Minoxidil just wouldn't fail and my hair loss would stop.

Fast forward to December 2013 and after shifting from 1 to 2.5 mg of Finasteride daily I realized that my hair wasn't making any progress again. Finally I thought 'screw it' and bit the bullet to move to 0.5 mg Dutasteride. I stopped the finasteride and Min and began with 0.5 mg dutasteride everyday. For the third time I thought that dutasteride would answer my prayers since I've read it blocks almost 94% DHT. But alas! It's September 2014 now (9 months on dutasteride and over a year on DHT blockers) my hair loss is progressing at a steady pace.

Over the months there have been so many false dawns where my hair would stop falling out for about a week to 15 days only for it to start falling out again with vengeance! Almost in bulk.

I'm guessing I'm one of the 10% of the minority on whom no treatments are strong enough to work. What are the odds of being bald when your parents' families have reasonably good hair and plus being in the small minority which are not affected by any treatments?

Probably I have too many receptors in my follicles or my body produced too much testosterone and hence DHT since I've barely had any side effects while being on the medications. Whatever it is I think I am doomed.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do next? I am on a Norwood 3v.

CarlJohanson

Established Member
Reaction score
The only thing you can do now is stay on dutasteride. You might start seeing progress in the next few months if you stay on it.

Im a total optimist on hairloss and treatments. So something to hope for is RepliCel and Histogen becoming available on the future. Im very excited myself. I dont think you're doomed.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
Looks like you have tried the best we have. Only thing left are experimentals. Personally I agree with CarlJ. You are using the strongest med we have at the moment and if it at least buys you a little more time, it might be worth it. Hopefully better/more effective treatments will soon become a reality.

Theedge

Reaction score
Dude lets be honest there are some of us no matter what kind of wall you put up its going to fall and your hair with it.
Just do what you can bro if its goes all they way back do yourself a favor SHAVE it off get a good tan roll with it . Some people look cool being bald it much better then the I'm trying to look good with 20 hairs on my head .

- - - Updated - - -

The only thing you can do now is stay on dutasteride. You might start seeing progress in the next few months if you stay on it.

Im a total optimist on hairloss and treatments. So something to hope for is RepliCel and Histogen becoming available on the future. Im very excited myself. I dont think you're doomed.

Carl what are these treatments I'm hearing that some people are pumped over are they legit or more take a pill and your nuts fall off ?

RoyD

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I'm quite positive there'll be nothing close to a 100% effective treatment which can stop, let alone reverse male pattern baldness in the next 10 years and with my situation right now I don't think I can even hold on to a Norwood 3 for more than a year.

idunnolol

Reaction score
Have you considered taking spironolactone? The sides can be nasty but it's something like a last resort to people who've failed with everything else.

RoyD

Established Member
Reaction score
Never heard of it. What does it do exactly? I live in India so not sure if it would be able here.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
spironolactone is the strongest hair loss medication by far. However it is literally simulated castration inside the body. Also, it is extremely dangerous for your health if you aren't monitored properly because of it's ability to alter potassium levels in the body to damaging or even lethal levels at doses at which one would need to take it for hairloss.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
Carl what are these treatments I'm hearing that some people are pumped over are they legit or more take a pill and your nuts fall off ?

This is the internet just give it time. Once these treatments come out there will be guys coming out of the wood work claiming it effed then up, doesn't work, is a scam, gave them cancer, etc. Just wait.

RoyD

Established Member
Reaction score
There's no way I'm going to take oral spironolactone and mess up my system for hair. I promised myself that dutasteride would be the furthest I would go in terms of treatments with major side effects. I'll probably have to consider the price of topical spironolactone and then decide.

Koseu

Reaction score
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interac...0-5-1?highlight=oral+minoxidil+spironolactone

This guys story is kind of similar to yours. Everything failed, but he didn't give up. He tried all kinds of crazy stuff like oral minoxidil and oral spironolactone and it worked for him! No sides as well. I'm not saying that you should do this, because it's pretty dangerous, but it's good to know that there are options :D

RoyD

Established Member
Reaction score
Sounds good but I'm just not willing to take that risk. The side effects of spironolactone are not just limited to sexual side effects but increase the potassium levels dangerously high also. Especially the dose he takes is quite high and the long term effects of that cannot be safely estimated. Besides I have kidney problems running in my family so I'm just not going there.

I'd rather lose my hair than have my vital organs or health get adversely affected. Although I don't have any sides now I can't say for sure that my body or sexual function won't be affected in the long term being on Dutasteride and that itself is scary enough.

eenrak

Established Member
Reaction score
Sounds good but I'm just not willing to take that risk. The side effects of spironolactone are not just limited to sexual side effects but increase the potassium levels dangerously high also. Especially the dose he takes is quite high and the long term effects of that cannot be safely estimated. Besides I have kidney problems running in my family so I'm just not going there.

I'd rather lose my hair than have my vital organs or health get adversely affected. Although I don't have any sides now I can't say for sure that my body or sexual function won't be affected in the long term being on Dutasteride and that itself is scary enough.

That guy eventually switched from oral spironolactone to 5% RU which supposedly has no/very few side effects, based on anecdotal evidence. He still went strong, and he had a serious case of aggressive hairloss.
So, if you start 5% RU topical, you would only be oral minoxidil away from the strongest regimen I have seen to date. But oral minoxidil is not easy to get, and probably not very healthy.
So, if you want to do one last attempt, I suggest you look into RU and oral/topical minoxidil. That is basically the strongest regimen you can find.

RoyD

Established Member
Reaction score
Could you help me with details about what RU is? I've read that it's not easy to obtain and even more difficult to mix it because apparently ready made RU is useless. I was considering RU but I'm not sure since I have limited info on it.

eenrak

Established Member
Reaction score
There is a very well written guide with all details, written by hellouser. I don't remember if it is also on this site, but I found it on the other major hairloss website. For some reason, it isn't allowed to link to the site. So I have pm'ed you.
Good luck.

RoyD

Established Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think I should stick with Dutasteride 0.5 mg or just move to 1.25 mg Finasteride and Minoxidil. The latter will probably be more expensive for me.

isishearmyplea

Experienced Member
Reaction score
stay with dutas and add minoxidil. The RU guide is at bald truth talk dot com or Search for hellousers ru guide on google. What Norwood are you? Can you show pics? You shoudnt have quit minoxidil. Try 10% this time. Did you not get ANY side effects on anti androgens? What brand of finasteride/dutasteride?

RoyD

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I don't think it's viable for me to start on RU atm. Like I said I am an Norwood 3v as in most of my hair loss is in the vertex area and somewhat diffused although recently I've noticed some thinning in the temples as well. My pics aren't that good since they've been taken with different lighting, cameras, hair styles and lengths although you can see that the hair loss is quite evident. Strangely enough I have had basically NO EFFECTS being on Finasteride or Dutasteride, either positive or negative. If anything Dutasteride has given me an increased sex drive but I'm not too sure about that. It's somewhat starting to give me the feeling that maybe these pills I've been taking are not legit or poor quality since it just isn't making a difference. Since I stay in India I've used Dr. Reddy's Finasteride (can't remember the exact brand name) and Dr. Reddy's dutasteride (called Dutas) both the times. It's even strange because Dutas has a lot of good reviews both here and internationally. Anyways do look at he pics and give me you opinion on whatever it may be.

3 month Minoxidil (1).jpg3 month Minoxidil.jpg
3 months only on Minoxidil (Mar 2013)

3 month finasteride and Min.jpg
3 months on Finasteride and 9 months on Minoxidil (Sep 2013)

6 month dutasteride.jpg
6 months only on Dutasteride (June 2014)

Present.jpg
Present (9 months on Dutasteride) (Oct 2014)

Attachments

• 1 month finasteride with Min.jpg
    1 month finasteride with Min.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 206
  • 6 month Min and start finasteride.jpg
    6 month Min and start finasteride.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 201