23 years old, losing ground on treatments.

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello again!

I seem to have such whispy thin hair. And even at low light you can see often scalp. The thinnest hair I have on these two red lines

I've bought a digital microscope and I made a picture of this thinnest spot and one of the back of my head. But actually, I don't see (that much) miniaturisation or do you? Actually I do see thin hair, but I don't see a lot - or any - difference between the so called thinnest zone and the back of my head (under the crown, the zone where there should be eternal hair). What if this is really some tellogen effluvium (Telogen Effluvium) ? Cause you might think these red lines are genetically sensitive areas, and thus ongoing Androgenetic Alopecia, but it's also the part line where the hair on the top of my head stands up (curly haircut) and the hair on the sides of my head lays down. So that might just be the most obvious place to spot some general thinning of all of my hair.

Microscope picture of the thinning zone

Microscope picture of the back of my head

EDIT: I do have to mention I'm under the craziest stress of my life. And not work related. My long-time, very serious relationshippy girlfriend broke up with me in May and it totally wrecked me, even lost over 20 pounds in less than two months. We got back together at the end of July and last week she broke up with me again.. So emotional stress wise, this is without doubt the most difficult period of my life.

- - - Updated - - -

This is where the most of my thinning is going on and this is is where the picture is taken from. This is NOT me by the way, but the actor Josh Radnor. My thinning is more apparent and visible at much lower light too. But you guys get the idea. Red is the kind of thinning (yet more) I want to show, blue is the general area where my scalp is most visible.

Captain Hook

Established Member
Reaction score
Have you gone to a dermatologist at all? They can give you a better idea as to what's going on in terms of procedures such as trichoscopy, scalp biopsy, etc. If it is Telogen Effluvium, it will go away on its own, it's not really something to worry about, in the meantime I'd just focus on getting your life back in order, not surrounding yourself with toxic people is a good way to start (if this girlfriend broke up with you twice, you really should consider the fact that she may not be for you, only prioritise people who prioritise you too). That being said if your hair did get thicker while being on finasteride it is likely Androgenetic Alopecia but it's always best to get a professional opinion, us forum members can only tell you so much.

How about blood tests? I remember reading somewhere about how you mentioned you went a certain period of time with very little food due to stress (which is extremely unadvisable, if you can't take care of yourself, make sure someone is there to look after you in the future). You might want to get a few blood panels done like iron studies, serum magnesium, serum zinc and a thyroid function test panel performed to rule out additional causes of hair loss. I have no doubt that you probably have Androgenetic Alopecia but you also could have a concomitant issue making it worse, the only way to find out is to see your GP and have these tests performed.

Let's just hypothetically say that you go through the above channels and everything checks out as it should and you only have Androgenetic Alopecia. Assess how things are after being on finasteride for 2 years and if you're unsatisfied go on dutasteride, if even that doesn't halt things after another 2 years you can always consider a hair transplant. Hopefully Kythera's setipiprant will prove to be a good alternative to our current treatments if and when it is marketed. If you're more daring then check out SwissTemples' blog and see if any of his experimental treatments appeal to you, especially if you've reached the point where your Androgenetic Alopecia isn't controlled to the extent of where you want it to be after being on dutasteride for 2 years. So as you can see you have a lot of options, you can worry all you like once you've exhausted them all.

On another note, did you buy a digital microscope just for the purpose of examining your hair? I honestly thought I was obsessive about my own hair until I came on this forum and saw sad boys like you and nyjrb going above and beyond when it comes to being paranoid and hysterical.

Regardless, good luck mate. Keep your chin up and stay the course.

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Yes, I bought the digital microscope mainly for this purpose after reading on the BaldingBlog even doctors and derms use it as a fairly accurate measuring method for hair and scalp problems. I do believe finasteride helped me, but it's been a bumpy road. I've had periods in which my hair looked so much better, but I've had times it looked worse as well. I have very curly hair but you can often - even at low light - see scalp. That wasn't an issue a few years ago. Funny thing is I'm constantly doubting whether the hair on the sides of my head is thinning as well; cause if the entire scalp has thinning hair it's most likely not pure Androgenetic Alopecia.

I've had blood tests a few years back and everything was fine (just a vitamin D deficit), I had a diagnose of Androgenetic Alopecia from my derm as well. Anyhow, I'll start popping a multivitamin (Centrum Men) and take better care of my diet. By the way, I keep taking pictures of my wet hair every few months or so: one with the hair combed back (wet), one of my crown (wet) and one where I make a part in my hair to assess possible thinning. (I presume if my curly hair is thinning I would see a wider parting when it's wet, right?) I might put these pictures up here and hear your opinions.

Thanks!

DrDog

Reaction score
If you haven't started already, I'd encourage dermarolling once a month with a 1.5mm roller. It's helped me out a lot, that I'm certain.

Also, if you can, work in 1% nizoral 3 times a week to reduce inflammation (especially if you do pick up dermarolling).

Also remember that flash-sheds do happen, but that simply means stronger, more resilient hair will be grown back in.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you haven't started already, I'd encourage dermarolling once a month with a 1.5mm roller. It's helped me out a lot, that I'm certain.

Also, if you can, work in 1% nizoral 3 times a week to reduce inflammation (especially if you do pick up dermarolling).

Also remember that flash-sheds do happen, but that simply means stronger, more resilient hair will be grown back in.

Better to use a dermastamp/derminator imo. Dermarolling could actually damage your hair.