27 yo, where to go from here?

Wiggle

Reaction score
Just turned 27 years old. I've had a receeding hairline for a bit but it has recently started to thin as well. Many of my friends my age are losing their hair, several worse than myself but I'd like to stop or delay this a while if possible. As you can see, the hair is receeding (which I can live with) but also is thinning on the top a noticeable amount (especially compared to how thick it is in back). I was considering going with generic 5% Rogaine. I can't justify much more expense than that at this point, and the side effects seem manageable compared to Propecia. Is my hair loss the type that could show benefit? The research I've done says it will not help the receeding so much but the thickness can improve, especially since I am starting it before major loss has occurred. Am I correct?

IMG_00000091.jpg

IMG_00000090.jpg

IMG_00000093.jpg

IMG_00000094.jpg

Abercrombie

Reaction score
At 27, your hairloss is not that bad. It would be great though if you posted a couple of pictures with your hair pulled back so that we can see your hairline/recession.

If youre a good responder to meds you might be able to keep your hair like that for another 10 years.

antman

Established Member
Reaction score
plenty of people don't get side effects from propecia. i would recommend giving it a go. if u r really against it maybe just nizoral shampoo.

Wiggle

Reaction score
My hairline is pretty far back, but it's mostly the thinning I've been noticing a bit that bothers me. Here's my dilemma, I'd like to keep my hair but realistically I'm not going to spend alot of money if it is a losing battle. I have a 6 month supply of Kirkland generic 5% minoxidil on the way I'd like to try. Once I get that shipment I'll take some good before pics to document my progress, also going to pick up some Nizoral. Is there anyway to reduce shedding during my first test with the minoxidil? Like possibly only applying once daily initially or is there no sense in doing that? I only ask cause right now most people wouldn't notice the thinning. Currently I shed very little hair at all in the shower.

Should I apply the minoxidil to the areas on my temple where the hair is gone? Guess I have no hair to shed there and I may be one of the few who gain back hair around the temples?

I am in Canada, is there a way to get Finasteride cheaply without a prescription? It is not so much the side effects I worry about, it is cost.

Wiggle

Reaction score
I've decided to start with Nizoral and 5% minoxidil. I've been on the 2% nizoral for a couple days and just applied my first dose of minoxidil as well. Applying the minoxidil is not bad but how can I apply it along the hairline without it rolling down onto my forehead? I will get a doctors appointment to try to get a propecia or finasteride prescription as well.

Wiggle

Reaction score
Will any of these DHT inhibitors affect my athletic performance? I'm a casual weight/powerlifter and cyclist.

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interac...just-starting-finasteride)?highlight=peapoddy

No, it won't effect your performance. Go through his story page by page. There are more on the forum, just have a gander at the success stories sub-section.

Wiggle

Reaction score
I've been on the Minoxidil for about two weeks now. I've noticed perhaps a very slight increase in shedding (I might get 5-10 hairs in my hands after shampooing rather than pretty much none) but nothing to get alarmed by. Problem is, it is drying my scalp and I feel like it will give me dandruff, in particular the morning dose right after a shower. Would it be bad to switch to one application a day in the evening? I realize this will not necessarily be as effective but is it still worth doing? Otherwise my scalp feels too dry and I will probably have to drop it entirely. I am also using Nizoral and head and shoulders so already have some anti-dandruff products and still feel itchy.

Wiggle

Reaction score
An update:
I've been on minoxidil and Nizoral about 3 weeks or a little more and figured I'd post what's happened so far. I'm still on same haircut so it's not a great comparison but something. I've noticed an increase in shedding but from almost none to just a medium amount, I might lose 10 of 15 in the shower and about the same if I brush it thoroughly. And I've got pics of my hairline now.

IMG_00000006_zpscdecc146.jpg

IMG_00000005_zps8bad7d38.jpg

IMG_00000004_zpsa98fbcfc.jpg

IMG_00000003_zps303b5d28.jpg

Oddly enough I feel like the front is a little fuller than before. I'm actually ok with how it looks from the front I'd say, if I can maintain I'd be happy. I've got a Doctor appointment in two weeks and I will try to get a prescription for Propecia. Top shows a little bit of scalp in some areas, thats under relatively harsh overhead light.

Here's a question:
Somedays I feel like two applications of minoxidil will dry my scalp too much. Would it better to drop to once a day only or keep doing two on days where I can? Ie is consistency better or getting the most on there than I can tolerate?

I should add that at this point I"m happy with anything that isn't way worse. As it seems minoxidil takes a couple monoths to really get going.

cruyyford

Reaction score
I'm using minoxidil once a day. It still works. About Propecia, the Doctor will tell you better. The main idea is to prevent DHT to attacking to your hair focules and to control DHT in your body, so your diet (Like ZINC + Vitamin H is also good to use) is also important. I think Minoxidil and Nizoral is good for now and you don't need Propecia at all with that hair. With nizoral+Min you'll notice the improvements in up down 6 months i believe, think positive.

Wiggle

Reaction score
Thanks. Yep I'm trying to be positive. Honestly compared to some guys my age I think I'm doing fine. I'm generally not self-conscious about it I just want to see what I can do to slow things down.

Wiggle

Reaction score
Another update here, hair is getting long time for a cut very soon. Figured I'd get some pics before. I'm not sure if I see much improvement but I wouldn't expect much yet, also anything besides a nasty shed is a success I'd say for now. On Monday I have the Doctor appt to see if I can also go on Propecia, currently taking minoxidil and Nizoral only. minoxidil usually twice a day but missed 2 days completely and dialed back to one dose a couple days to allow itchy scalp to recover. I may be crazy but I feel like I see a good number of shorter hairs in my front hair line than before. I don't know if this means new growth or perhaps I just haven't looked closely enough in the past. One thing I can be happy with is that my hair is not so thin that it looks bad at medium length, it seems to still have enough density to pull it off. These pics were taken after walking in the rain and going to gym, not ideal by any stretch.

IMG_00000004.jpg

IMG_00000013.jpg

IMG_00000006.jpg

Wiggle

Reaction score
An update for you guys. I've been continuing on using the general minoxidil. Sometimes once a day and sometimes twice, I'm not super consistent but get at least one application on almost every day. Good news is that most of the irritation from using the minoxidil has gone away so dry skin isn't much of an issue anymore. I just came back from a hair cut so figured I'd check in. Good news is that I'd say I'm certainly not getting much worse, possibly better. One thing I'm noticing is that my crown could use some attention, admittedly I've been focusing more on the front with the minoxidil, I'll try to spread it out more. I may be imagining it, but it seems like the hairs coming in along my hairline are becoming darker and thicker.

WP_20121227_009.jpg

WP_20121227_011-1.jpg

WP_20121227_006.jpg

WP_20121227_014.jpg

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Your hair line is definitely better! also your hair looks darker? Keep it up!

Wiggle

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Yes my hair is probably a good bit darker, it lightens up alot in the summer so now it's returning to normal!

Wiggle

Reaction score
Yep it is in the plan. It's just hard for me to get into see my doctor right now. He wanted me to try the minoxidil alone for a bit first before giving me the prescription.

Wiggle

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been pointed out already but I have looked again at your latest photo and looks like your right hairline side is slightly worst than the other, this was also the case for me before my hair transplant.

Yep that's been the case pretty much since I was a teenager. Haha hence why I always brush over that side rather than the other. Even when I was a teen I had a pretty high hairline, I'll try to find a pic somewhere.

Wiggle

Reaction score
Just wanted to post another update:

My hair has grown out to about the same length as in the original picture. Wanted to provide a direct before and after.

Before:
IMG_00000090.jpg

IMG_00000091.jpg

After:
WP_20130105_005.jpg

Sorry not an exact match for angle but regardless should be pretty visible. I'm quite happy with the results I'm seeing here. Overall I'm seeing some pretty noticeable increase in thickness and density. My hairline itself hasn't moved forward or anything but it seems alot denser. Also on my last haircuit, it was the first time I felt good after a haircut in quite a while instead of panicking over more visible forehead/scalp.