27 yo, where to go from here?

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes it is definitely better! Good for you!

Wiggle

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys :)

The more I look at these pics I'm noticing a significant darkening of my hair, especially I think in the areas I concentrate most on when I apply the minoxidil. Is this normal? I really noticed it after my last haircut, all the "fresh" hair that had been hidden was really coming in darker. At first I passed this off to summer hair but it seems more dramatic than that. I do like it, for one, my facial hair is darker so this matches alot better.

Here is a good new pic and under pretty harsh lighting too. I can still catch glimpses of scalp from some angles but I gotta say I'm quite happy with what I've achieved:

WP_20130108_001-Copy_zps8e8e381e.jpg

Wiggle

Reaction score
Here's a set of pics from a few different angles. I am very pleased. The top isn't perfect and my right temple in particular is pretty exposed but I'm quite happy with this level of coverage and even if I could maintain I'd be thrilled. This is using minoxidil and Nizoral only:

WP_20130112_001.jpg

WP_20130112_002.jpg

WP_20130112_003.jpg

Compared to before I see significant improvement and it has helped my confidence a good bit. Thank you guys for all the helpful information, I am glad that I am responding to the meds so far without any bad sheds or anything. I realize I should add propecia soon just for maximum effect but this initial positive transformation makes me feel good :) Only real trouble is that the minoxidil affected hair seems to be darker which is fine but it shows some places where I'm not getting a good application (you can see them in the pic, esp near the top right), so I'm going to make a concsious effort to spread it around more, admittedly I tend to focus more near the front.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
good on you! keep it up!

Going2beBald?

Established Member
Reaction score
You are correct, minoxidil may and can change your hair color. Same happened to me. I'm only happy about it because before ( from 15 year old to 23 year old ) I used to dye my hair dark brown / black but there isn't that much need anymore :)

Wiggle

Reaction score
Another check in for you guys. More good results, I'm probably starting to peak but I'm very happy with what I've achieved. I'll add propecia soon as well I think. Hair is darker, fuller. I was getting a bit of darkness under my eyes but found that went away when I was careful not to let the solution drip down my forehead.

WP_20130212_003_zps703a98e7.jpg

Wiggle

Reaction score
Another update for you guys. I've pretty much leveled off I'd say. Not seeing much change maybe small improvement, not that I'm disappointed cause I'm quite happy with how it looks generally. Note this is under slightly brighter lighting than the others, I added an extra lamp to my bathroom vanity. My hair is lightening a bit since I am finally getting more time in the sun but it's definitely still darker than the baseline.

WP_20130406_001_zpsf4bc20c7.jpg

WP_20130406_002_zpseb0037d4.jpg

I will be trying Propecia eventually, but I am in a new relationship so I'd like to wait a little longer before I try something that could have sexual side effects (even if just temporary).

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
looking good!! May I ask you how your hairline and temples are doing?

Wiggle

Reaction score
Just a mini update, holding steady! Today I had a pic pop up of me and have to say that it was nice to get a result I actually liked, my hair looked quite good IMO. Certainly not a teenagers hairline but nothing to be embarrassed of. This was on the side where the hairline was slightly better but regardless I am quite happy with how it looked:

Wiggle

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just an update. I feel like I've reached the limits of what I can get with Minoxidil alone. I'm still happy enough with my results but they are not as strong as the best photos I have posted here yet stronger than baseline still. Overall this is quite positive because I am still better than 2 years ago but I feel like I've losing ground. As a result I have just started on finasteride. I will post an updated set of pics soon and then more progress pics to see if the finasteride has any effect. Dosage I am using is 0.5 mg instead of the standard 1.0 mg because I am nervous about side effects and from what I have read the 0.5 mg is nearly as effective.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Wiggle. Just saw all your pictures. I am 29 and a similar hair loss pattern. I have just started on finasteride myself at a similar dose. I also ordered minoxidil but not sure whether to start it. Rather focus on one to begin with and add another treatment later down the line if required. Hmm so minoxidil is losing effect? Not the first time I heard that. Any obvious thinning at the crown or hairline going further back?

Still you are better than 2 years ago. I guess you have to continue with minoxidil because it's still doing something.