3 MONTH UPDATE

Bone Daddy

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, before I started finasteride I was losing alot of hair. Hair was a constant presence on my pillow, keyboard, shoulders, desk, and comforter. I was losing so much it's a wonder my Norwood isn't higher than it is. I'm very lucky I went and got checked. If I hadn't, and listened to everyone who said I was crazy, who knows where I'd be about now.

I started 6 months ago (2 months after diagnosis) using Nizoral shampoo 2-3 times a week. I couldn't afford finasteride just yet, so it would have to do. It cut down on my shed by a good margin, and made my scalp feel alot better. I had alot of buildup on my scalp that I used to scrape with my fingernails for hours on end. (I know, damaging) The Nizoral got rid of all that in a few washings. My hair seemed thicker, and with the decreased shedding, I was convinced I was on my way to "recovery".

When I finally bought my finasteride and started taking it, my hormones fluxuated like you'd expect, as well as my labido. I had heard you either get a dry face or scalp from finasteride, or you get a oily face and scalp. THANK GOD I was one of the dry/dry people.

But, in adding finasteride I was shedding as much as I was before diagnosis. I would also get large painful burning spots on my scalp. After some research I figured this was from either the multi-vitamin (with saw palmetto) I was taking, or the Nizoral.

I dropped Nizoral and the multi too just to be sure. After I did, the painful burning spots and extra shedding went away. My theory is that with finasteride drieng my scalp and face up, the Nizoral even at 1% is too harsh. Makes sense, as I had exactly 0 problems before finasteride.

I had a shed about 4 weeks in, and it lasted about 2 or 3 weeks. This is when finasteride started to "kick in" for me. My usual shower-hand count of hairs went from 30-52 :freaked: to around 15-25, and the keyboard count dropped to 0. Instead of 6-8 on my pillow, I went to 1 or 2 a day. Then about 2 weeks ago, finasteride settled in to it's new home. My hormones leveled out, and my hairloss dropped even more. I got a haircut about this time, as god, I needed it badly.

At present:

1-2 every so often on my pillow
5-15 in the shower (per 2 days)
0 on the keyboard
0 on the comforter
1 or 2 if I tossle the hair

I have itching, and it's driving me batty. I tried to use Nizoral again to see if it would take it away, but only the pain spots came back. Even with heavy conditioner and only 1 time a week.

I've also noticed that I'm itching where scalp pimples are, on my crown and in my receded hairline area. Well, I swear where I used to have scalp pimples, I now have some minor fill in. So it's another theory that the itching is because of finasteride, and the pimples (or ingrown hairs?) are old dormant hairs coming back to life. Where I also had pimples on my receded hairline area, I now have some new vellous hairs I believe. Plus, I never itched before taking finasteride, it's a new development. Yes it's possible the new hairs were always there, but the crown additions and fill in, tend to disprove that.

So my hair is doing good, and so am I. I still have bad days where I panic, but they are nothing compared to a few months ago. I considered going to propecia for peace of mind, but it seems the Fincar is providing that for me. I still may switch down the road, but I'm good until 6 months.

After that time, I'll re-evaluate and decide. I'm on 1.25mg, which will have a shorter effective timeline than 1mg. So I want to go to 1mg and add some time. We'll see.

1.25mg Fincar
One Source Men's Formula Vitamins
NO STRESS!

I'm wondering what growth stimulant to use later on, but I don't want the hassle of minoxidil..

:hairy:

21gone

Established Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the improvement so far B-diddy. Have you ever tried using T-Gel or T-Sal. T-Sal seemed to help my stubborn itch.

Bone Daddy

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks 21.

Not yet, I'm going to pick some up when I get my check this weekend though. But, if my theory is correct, it won't help.

*shrug*

Brasileirao

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Great job main!!!

What you describe, I have been through......

Keep up the good work!

Tony

rescue hair

Reaction score
I'm on 1.25mg, which will have a shorter effective timeline than 1mg. So I want to go to 1mg and add some time

I've never heard this before. Where did you hear this? Why is it a shorter timeline?

Bone Daddy

Established Member
Reaction score
I've seen countless posts of people on 1.25mg having 4-5 year effects, versus 5-7+ on 1mg.

I have no studies to back me up, but it's a gamble that can't hurt. I have noticed that the more mg I take the less hair I lose, and I am concerned about the step-down, but like I said time will tell. It's all about what works for you in the end.

G

Good work, every day is a good hair day for me now, come wind rain and shine. I'm very happy right now....

DarklyCharming

Established Member
Reaction score
traxdata said:
Good work, every day is a good hair day for me now, come wind rain and shine. I'm very happy right now....

Trax, that's so excellent to hear because it sounded like you were having a bad time for awhile there. congrats!

Same to you B-Daddy. So excellent to hear great results. I can say that as I'm approaching my 3 month mark, I've noticed a decrease in shedding and that my hair is actually having more better days than not recently. :)

G

DarklyCharming said:
traxdata said:

Trax, that's so excellent to hear because it sounded like you were having a bad time for awhile there. congrats!

Same to you B-Daddy. So excellent to hear great results. I can say that as I'm approaching my 3 month mark, I've noticed a decrease in shedding and that my hair is actually having more better days than not recently. :)

Yeah, I went through a bad time at the end of last year but things seem to be looking quite good right now. I'm quite happy with my hair.

Bone Daddy

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks chuj, glad to see some people are digging my theories. Or, at least not thinking I'm nuts.

misterium

Reaction score
Bone Daddy said:
Or, at least not thinking I'm nuts.

Off topic but I think all officers who harass & arrest harmless marijuana smokers are nuts. Call me crazy :x

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ivan Maiyr said:
[quote="Bone Daddy":2bc0f]Or, at least not thinking I'm nuts.

Off topic but I think all officers who harass & arrest harmless marijuana smokers are nuts. Call me crazy :x[/quote:2bc0f]

You crazy f****r! Put the gun down! You don't wanna end up in Oz, man!

Bone Daddy

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd say he does, lots of man love in thar.

:freaked2: ) ) <==8

Iwan meet bubba, bubba meat Iwan!

misterium

Reaction score
That's not me in the avatar.

Anyway, going to jail for not breaking any laws would be kind of typical in America wouldn't it.

Gay cops and their friend Bubbah, wtf.

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
LOL

Red Rose

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think three month updates should be banned and replaced with 12 month updates at the very minimum.

Brasileirao

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Red Rose said:
I think three month updates should be banned and replaced with 12 month updates at the very minimum.

and why is that? Why is it that we must now regulate what can be said and what can't be said. Does that mean that going forward we should only have "hairloss" related posts. If someone wants to post their 3 month update, as lame as that may be to some of you, they have all the right in the world to do so.