38 Year old Norwood 5

adeeb

Reaction score
Hi,
I've been lurking on here for a while and decided to post.
I've been thinning for quite some time, albeit slowly. Something clicked and I decided to do something about it, so hope its not too late. If I look closely at my hairline in a mirror I can see many small vellus hairs where I once had terminal hair on my temples. Many of these are only very short however there are a few that are about 1cm long. Hoping that these will grow after a few "seasons" to terminal hair.

I've been on Propecia 1mg for a little under a month, applying Regaine solution for a fortnight this weekend and using Nizoral shampoo twice a week.

The only side effects I have was that after about a week and a half of taking propecia my skin itched this seems to have passed now - I did take an antihistamine tablet once or twice which helped it subside.

Well I'm going to try and post with photos on here every now and again to keep informed of my progress, or lack of it - time will tell eh?

Ade

adeeb

Reaction score
a couple of photos

What's the opinion - is this going to improve?

Ade

Attachments

• DSC_0233.jpg
    DSC_0233.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 641
  • DSC_0229.jpg
    DSC_0229.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 681

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
It will improve, impossible to say how big the improvement is. You will almost certainly not look like you have a full head of hair, it's too advanced to recover to a NW2 or 2.5, it's all relative though. What kind of end goal would you be satisfied with? Would you consider using concealers with the hair you are going to regrow? Or perhaps a hair transplant along with your medication?

adeeb

Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for your reply and thoughts.
My end game is just to not look as bald as I am - I realise I'm never going to go back to a full head of hair I just want to try and regain some of the losses, the majority of which have been in the last few years. I'm not going to use concealers to be honest and the thought of a hair transplant well that just makes me cringe - I know they are very good compared to a while ago - it's just the thought of the process that's all. I do have thick hair on the back/sides with no signs of any loss so it's an option albeit one I'm not currently overly keen on.

Ade

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well go for it man, just see what you can regrow, you may be pretty happy with your results, best of luck and keep us posted on the forum!

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
I am in pretty much the same boat as you. Just about the same age as you, and the hair left on my head is pretty similar to yours. I have a little bit more, but not much that I can do with it. I am on the same treatments as you are and I would say that is is worth treating your hair loss. You and I both have accepted that we will not regrow a full head of hair. I am personally using treatments to keep from going slick bald. Buzzing my head with at least some coverage is better than buzzing the sides and being slick on top.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
You could get a hair transplant and be a norwood 3 again

adeeb

Reaction score
It's a fortnight and here's the latest photo. Not sure if it's in my mind but as I'm massaging the min in I'm sure I can feel hairs lol
Can't see any difference to be honest it is early days though.DSC_0236.jpg

LionO

Reaction score
I'm younger than you and have a similar level of hair loss so looking forward to your progress.

adeeb

Reaction score
Update

Hi,

It's a slow process, but I feel like I'm making progress. I'll be putting photos on later when I'm back at home and can keep it with the same camera....
I can see longer hairs on my temples, near my hairline, they are still colourless though - some are about 1cm long, previously I just had short vellus hairs, just looks like a few of these have grown in the last month or so. Also there are new hairs sprouting at the front of my head, and in my current hair line, they are quite easy to spot as they are all much shorter than my current hair and these are coloured, so it's looking like things have started to move.
I still have no idea about the crown of my head, it's so difficult to see with 2 mirrors lol. I do notice that it feels spikey when I rub the min into it though.
I've also had a shed a few weeks ago, nothing major, but definitely noticeable in the bath.

Photos to follow this weekend.

Ade

SayifDoit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You could effectively get back to a NW2-1 easy if you had a hair transplant and kept on that medication/treatment.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
yea I really think a hair transplant would be a good option stay on the finasteride though

adeeb

Reaction score
more hairs noticed this morning on the front of my head, they're easy to spot there as it's easy to se in the mirror. I've got plenty of hair around the back and sides of my head so my plan is to stay on the finasteride and mix as they seem to be making a difference albeit a little, whilst I save up for a transplant and see what happens in the meantime.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
I'm delighted with the news of your progress. In more ways than one, your optimism and steadfast realism are key proponents for achieving a more emotionally satisfying outcome regardless of what that might become. In spite of knowing that the odds are against us that we will even place/finish in the bottom tier of this merciless race to save our hair we participate in it anyhow because quitting or giving up now is not who we are or what real champions ever do. We must not forget that very inch of progress is a great victory and a greater testimony to the convicted spirit of the bald/balding man. Keep on keeping on adeeb, your brothers are cheering for you!

adeeb

Reaction score
Latest photo taken last night....I think it looks thicker well I think so - what's the consensus? And someone commented the other day that my hair looked fuzzier lol

The fine colourless hairs are still there and getting longer too that's probably the fuzz effect!!

DSC_0283.jpg

eenrak

Established Member
Reaction score
Definitely something happening. Will be very interesting in 8 months or so. :)

adeeb

Reaction score
Definitely something happening. Will be very interesting in 8 months or so. :)

There's definately something happening. I've tried to take some photos but they didn't come out too well - will try again tonight.
Noticed many small darker hairs, still thin though on the front and sides of my head - areas that were by all intents and purposes bald seem to be sprouting hairs. Can't say much about the crown of my head I try but just can't see it close enough lol.

Ade

kpat

Established Member
Reaction score
It took a while for the small hairs I got from minoxidil to grow, and after a year I'm still getting new regrowth. I only have a receding hairline, though. But it basically only filled in gaps and thickened the hairline a little in one year. But it's still improving. So it could be a very long process for you. I just started finasteride, so hopefully things will continue to get better. As long as things are improving I will be happy. It will be sad once things stop :\