6 Nations Champions!

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
For all the rugby fans out there!

IRELAND are 6 Nations GRANDSLAM CHAMPIONS!!

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

340x.jpg

WOOOO!

dimitar_berbagod

Established Member
Reaction score
Fair play to the Irish.

I'm not really much of an egg-chasing fan but they deserved it!

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sure did after 61 years!

And I won €400 euro on it! , What a day!

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
decro435 said:

What a very quaint way to say it! Sounds very very odd to American ears...

ali777

Reaction score
Bryan said:
decro435 said:

What a very quaint way to say it! Sounds very very odd to American ears...

At least they don't call it the World Series :whistle:

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
ali777 said:
At least they don't call it the World Series :whistle:

I hope you know what I'm talking about. "Ireland ARE..." Here we would say "Ireland IS..."

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Really?

Never knew Americans did that. Another thing that annoys me is when people (not just Americans) say Persons instead of People.

12 persons/12 people. I know it's correct in both terms , but it just doesn't sound right.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
decro435 said:
Really?

Never knew Americans did that.

People in the UK seem to be accustomed to thinking of groups of people (like countries, governments, corporations, and sports teams) as being PLURAL entities, whereas we usually think of them as SINGULAR entities. It would sound peculiar to us to hear somebody say the following things:

Italy have won the World Cup.
France produce good wines.
Japan make good cars.
Ireland are the rugby champs.
Merck make good hairloss drugs.

decro435 said:
Another thing that annoys me is when people (not just Americans) say Persons instead of People.

12 persons/12 people. I know it's correct in both terms , but it just doesn't sound right.

I agree with that. That bothers me, too!

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
The French do produce good wine, I'm with you on that one, Italy has won the World Cup (more than once), Ireland are (not is) Six Nations Grand Slam Champions (well done to them by the way), and, ah, I've read the other two so many times I can't work out what sounds right.

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
"People in the UK seem to be accustomed to thinking of groups of people (like countries, governments, corporations, and sports teams) as being PLURAL entities, whereas we usually think of them as SINGULAR entities. It would sound peculiar to us to hear somebody say the following things:

Italy have won the World Cup.
France produce good wines.
Japan make good cars.
Ireland are the rugby champs.
Merck make good hairloss drugs."

Ireland isn't in the UK just to make that clear.

That's crazy , all those sentences seem completely normal and correct to me.

The Gardener

Reaction score
What about the term "heats up" versus "hots up"?

When a game is getting intense, is the game "hotting up?"

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
decro435 said:
Ireland isn't in the UK just to make that clear.

Right. I also overlooked the fact that aussieavodart also speaks that way.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Slartibartfast said:
...Italy has won the World Cup (more than once), Ireland are (not is) Six Nations Grand Slam Champions...

Why are you inconsistent in those usages? :) The part about Italy is written the same way we Americans would say it, but not the part about Ireland!

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Slartibartfast said:
Because I wouldn't pair 'is' with 'champions'.

But I didn't EXPECT you to do that. Obviously, I assumed that you would have changed it to my way: "Ireland is Six Nations Grand Slam Champion..."

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
I'd more likely go with: "Ireland is the Six Nations Grand Slam Champion..." I just fancied being ultra picky when you didn't specify dropping the 's', saying only that: "Here we would say 'Ireland IS...'" :)

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
So nit-picking aside, do I assume correctly, Slarti, that judging by your comments earlier in this thread, your OWN speech patterns are rather more akin to the way an American would speak? The original poster seemed surprised to hear that we Americans would never EVER say "Italy have won the World Cup." What would you say is the relative proportion of Brits who _do_ say it that way, versus the other way?

iwantperfection

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I dont know why an american would question how the ENGLISH make use of the ENGLISH language.. :whistle:

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I do it quite a lot! :)

iwantperfection

Experienced Member
Reaction score
lol. Im not surprised quite frankly how its a hard language to learn. As shown here its a language that can be used quite loosely and differs between dialects. anyways..way off topic. Well done Ireland.