Adam's Story (20 / Propecia 2 yrs., starting nizoral.)

Adam2

Reaction score
I am 20 years old, and have been taking Propecia for around 2 years now. My hair hasn't really gotten any better, but I haven't really noticed it getting worse I guess. I believe I am a "diffuse thinner"... the top of my head is thinning pretty much all over, and I don't really have any specific patches. I tried Rogaine very briefly but quit for that reason. I recently started using Nizoral 1% every other day (about a week ago).

I assume my genes come from my mother's side... her brother and father both are classic "horse shoe" bald, though I don't know when they started losing it. It appears, though, that I'm starting earlier than they did. I was hoping that Propecia and a good regimine would at least let me keep what I have, but I'm sadly thinking otherwise after reading articles such as this:

http://www.regrowshair.com/general-hair- ... ansplants/

"With the more commonly described “diffuse thinningâ€￾ patient, in whom there is an equal degree of hair loss throughout the top, the patient certainly should be told that he will eventually lose all the hair contained within that area, unless he is in his 50’s or 60’s at the time of examination. Even hair loss treatment solutions, such as Propecia (finasteride) and Rogaine (minoxidil), will not prevent it from eventually being lost. It may delay that day by 10 years though."

I took pictures as best I could, hopefully they are clear enough to show where I am at this point. I took them when my hair was unwashed and a bit matted, as the loss is easier to see.

Please respond with any suggestions or comments.

Attachments

• IMG_0051.JPG
    IMG_0051.JPG
    351.1 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0068.JPG
    IMG_0068.JPG
    448.6 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0076.JPG
    IMG_0076.JPG
    528.2 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_0082.JPG
    IMG_0082.JPG
    426.6 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_0086.JPG
    IMG_0086.JPG
    460.8 KB · Views: 247

litcII

Reaction score
Re: Adam's story (20 yrs. old, Propecia 2 yrs., starting nizoral.)

Hi I am just wondering, did you have any periods of increased shedding during your time on Propecia? And if so, how noticeable was it? My hair loss is similar to yours at the moment, except I am 24 right now

Adam2

Reaction score

litcII said:
Hi I am just wondering, did you have any periods of increased shedding during your time on Propecia? And if so, how noticeable was it? My hair loss is similar to yours at the moment, except I am 24 right now

I don't believe I did, sorry.

Adam2

Reaction score

birk said:
"I tried Rogaine very briefly but quit for that reason."

what reason?? get on minoxidil 5% asap if you want to thicken your hair up man

nizoral wont do nothing

Like I said, I quit Rogaine because my hairloss is diffuse and there are no specific patches to apply it on. The whole top of my head seems to be losing hair evenly, making Rogaine very difficult to apply. Plus, I don't think I could handle the commitment when the Rogaine was so hard to apply and the results didn't seem to be any better.

Adam2

Reaction score

Can other posters respond, please? Should I consider using Rogaine? What else can I do?

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score

not sure what the problem is. seems like you've stabilized with a pretty good amount of hair. maybe start foam on the crown, otherwise looking good!

Adam2

Reaction score

Thank you, but I still worry about future loss a great deal. Is the article I quoted in my original post accurate? That is what I am most afraid of... thinking that although my hair loss can stabilize, I will eventually lose all of the hair on top that is diffusely thinning, even with treatment such as Propecia and Rogaine. Is this true?

Adam2

Reaction score

Those results do look promising. But i still don't know. Can more posters jump in with their advice for my situation?

Also, WILL i eventually lose all of the hair on top of my head? Again i'm referring to the article in my original post. I'm really worried thinking about that.

Adam2

Reaction score

Well knowing that really is depressing. It makes me wonder what the hell the point is of doing any of this.

Adam2

Reaction score

It's just very difficult to have confidence in my regimen, when I know I will eventually lose all of it anyway. Why is that guaranteed to happen?

Can others please offer their advice for my situation?

astros148

Established Member
Reaction score

Adam2 said:
It's just very difficult to have confidence in my regimen, when I know I will eventually lose all of it anyway. Why is that guaranteed to happen?

Can others please offer their advice for my situation?
there is no guarantee that you will lose the hair on your top , i have similar hair like you somewhat, my is a bet better , ive always had thin hair so its always been scary because my scalp often shows, thats why i have longer hair. Just stick with propecia and add in Nizoral and add Saw Palmetto and multi vitamins and some fish oil if you want

astros148

Established Member
Reaction score

irishpride86 said:
he shoudl add rogaine to get growth ... finasteride has maintained but now it's time for growth
yeah but it takes alot of commitment and he said he didnt have the time for it. also it doesnt work for many people, ive done alot of research and it doesnt work for diffuse thinners so much

Adam2

Reaction score

I can commit to Rogaine if it really shows results.

Would once a day be effective?

As I recall the foam was difficult to apply. Would it be best to part my hair and apply the foam there, doing this about 4 separate times to cover the top of my head? Or should I apply it after I get out of the shower, with damp hair?

Adam2

Reaction score

Well today I made the decision to commit to Rogaine foam. I just added it on before bed today. I plan on using it once a day like that, and moving on from there in a few weeks, to twice a day.

I tried parting my hair to apply it, but things quickly got messy and I just decided to put the foam in my hands and rub it in to the whole top of my head, rubbing it into the scalp. Is this an effective way to apply it? Please let me know.

Adam2

Reaction score

Should my hair be soaked with it after I apply it? I parted it at first, but it seemed easier to just rub it in all over. My hair was covered in it though, but I tried to really get in on the scalp.

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score

i'd suggest parting the hair and applying the foam directly to your scalp, then let it melt it, as opposed to rubbing it in with your hands then most of it absorbs into your hands and surrounding hair.

i don't really know about applying on a wet vs. dry scalp, but i've always applied when dry, and it's super easy and dries quick.

be prepared for a shed! i went through a pretty dramatic shed around 3 weeks into using foam (just once a day). this is a good thing though, means it's working!

i also think delaying hair loss for 10 years is an amazing blessing, especially if you're in your 20s, not sure why that's got you down so much.

Adam2

Reaction score

I just tried parting my hair several times across the head, and applying the foam right on the scalp each time. I tried my best not to get it on the hair, but I still ended up getting a good amount on. Since I don't want to dry my hair and rub off the Rogaine, I'm forced to let it dry. My hair also dries though, and becomes stiff like hairspray. If I try to dry it even after the stuff absorbs into my scalp, my hair will look like hell from the dried Rogaine. Am I just not doing this right? People say it's easy to apply but it's always been frustrating for me. Also, I had to use at least 6 cap fulls to cover my entire scalp. Please respond with any suggestions or comments if I am doing this wrong.

haunted-ballroom

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Adam2 said:
I just tried parting my hair several times across the head, and applying the foam right on the scalp each time. I tried my best not to get it on the hair, but I still ended up getting a good amount on. Since I don't want to dry my hair and rub off the Rogaine, I'm forced to let it dry. My hair also dries though, and becomes stiff like hairspray. If I try to dry it even after the stuff absorbs into my scalp, my hair will look like hell from the dried Rogaine. Am I just not doing this right? People say it's easy to apply but it's always been frustrating for me. Also, I had to use at least 6 cap fulls to cover my entire scalp. Please respond with any suggestions or comments if I am doing this wrong.

I dont think you can avoid getting it in your hair. It gets in mine all the time and becomes stiff like hairspray, bit of a pain in the *** to be honest but a small price to pay if it works for you.

Adam2

Reaction score

I've been doing the foam once a day for 5 days now... I'm getting into the routine and can continue this if it works.

However, I seem to be using a lot of it. I've already gone through 1 bottle of Rogaine in the 5 days. Is this way too much, or is it about right for my situation (applying it all over top of head, diffuse area)?