All about oral spironolactone

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I called up an old friend that I went to college with and
he is now a physician. I asked him if I could pick his brain about
hair loss and we talked for quite a while. He is a NW5 and does not
do anything as far as treatment. Say he just does not have time but
would jump at some of the new treatments that will be available.

I asked him about spironolactone and he had a lot to say about it and he
really cleared up some things for me. After talking with him
I'm pretty sure I would never take it. Here are my questions and
his comments:

Does spironolactone reduce T?

spironolactone does not reduce testosterone directly but it certainly will reduce
testosterone through modifying the feedback loop and the dosage can be very small if taken correctly.

What happens is spironolactone binds to the T receptors leaving an excess of T
floating around un-bound. The pituitary glad which regulates the T production
senses the excess T and tells the testes to produce less T. Over time the
pituitary will continue to down-regulate the T that is produced until the free T
is normal again. If you continue to take spironolactone the cells in the testes that
produce the T will atrophy from non-use and over time (about six months to a
year) will never recover. You will have permanent reduction of T even if you
stop taking spironolactone. By then your testicles will be the size of small grapes
due to the tissue loss.

Why does the effective dosage vary?

The reason that the dosage can vary is that spironolactone can only block a fixed
number of T receptors at one time and it has a very short life. So unless you
took the exact dosage your system needs (which is different for everybody
because everyone has a different number of receptors) to bind to all the
receptors and split it up evenly throughout the day and night some T receptors
are going to be un-bound and allow the free T to bind to them. That in turn
causes the pituitary gland to produce more and your T goes up. So if you
want to reduce T the trick is to find the correct dosage and then spit it up so
that it is not all used up. That being very difficult so instead you take one
large dose per day and overwhelm the system with much more than is needed.
Some patients could take as little as 1mg every hour and totally shutdown the
testes production of T. Others might take as much as 16mg per hour. Ideally
a time release capsule of sprio would be perfect, but no such deliver method
exists.

What about these studies that show it does not change T levels?

Studies are often looking at one focused problem and people tend to
read into them many, many things and come up with totally off-base
conclusions. I'm completely up to date on the effects of spironolactone and prescribe it
to male patients for very specific reasons and I know first hand that and
have no doubt that spironolactone will reduce testosterone at some dosage level. For
some males a very small amount is needed to achieve the desired reduction.
If someone tells you it does not reduce T at any dosage they are
mis-informed.

Can spironolactone hurt you?

There is most definitely permanent damage being done to the testes in the
form of atrophy and after a period of taking spironolactone the testes may not recover
to 100% and if it's been long enough not at all. That period is going to vary
from person to person.

How does spironolactone regrow hair?

The ONLY reason that people see results from oral spironolactone is not magic, they
just reduce there T levels and at the same time DHT. Less DHT to attack
the follicles means less hair loss. spironolactone does not add anything other
than a complete shutdown of T at higher dosages.

How does spironolactone work for transsexuals?

Transsexual also take Estrogen and E actually binds to the same receptors
as the T and has the same effect as the spironolactone. Remember, the pituitary
glad cannot tell a the difference between T and E and E competes with
the T in your body for the same receptors. Everyone is born with a
fixed number of receptors and that number varies.

A transsexual taking E set's up the same feedback sequence of events that
lowers T. T could be reduced with E alone but the E dosage has to be much
higher and there are risks to taking large doses of E. So spironolactone is used to
allow a lower dosage of E to be taken.

Why do guys get gyno?

The breast swelling when taking spironolactone is due to the free T that is not allowed
to bind to the receptors. The body converts the excess T into E to be
stored in fat. The breast tissue in males is a prime area that this occurs
because it is E sensitive. The same thing happens to body builders that take
large doses of T or steroids to build muscle, the excess T is converted to E
and that is why all the body builders wonder why they develop breasts.

Does the same thing happen with finasteride?

The same thing happens to a degree with finasteride which blocks DHT only from
the receptors. The excess DHT is converted into estrogen and depending on
the sensitivity of the mans breast tissue may experience gyno. Over time the
pituitary will down regulate the T so that excess will go away. And the breast
tissue will re-absorb over time. I hear a lot of guys that stop propecia and
after a panic in seeing the start of gyno. If they just ride it out the system will
regulate itself and the gyno will go away. It also goes away if they stop finasteride
but of course they don't gain the benefits of finasteride. At normal dosages a
small percentage of finasteride users get gyno and it will go away even if they
stay on the drug, however the same is not true of spironolactone. Due to total
blockage of T more aggressive breast tissue is developed and will not be
re-absorbed if you stop in many cases. This is also true if taking higher
dosages of finasteride.

Would small dosages of spironolactone be safe?

I would not recommend spironolactone for any male, the benefits are not any
greater than finasteride and there is no reason to even consider it in any dosage.

So there you have it. Take it for what it is, free advise.

We also talked about some of the new things that are coming and he
seemed very informed on them, I'll post more about that in another thread.

Obsidian

Reaction score
Well I will cross that off of 'other alternatives to save my hair' when the big three start going downhill.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Thanks for the post, I'll definitely stay clear of Oral spironolactone.

neis

Established Member
Reaction score
casperz said:
The reason that the dosage can vary is that spironolactone can only block a fixed
number of T receptors at one time and it has a very short life. So unless you
took the exact dosage your system needs (which is different for everybody
because everyone has a different number of receptors) to bind to all the
receptors and split it up evenly throughout the day and night some T receptors
are going to be un-bound and allow the free T to bind to them. That in turn
causes the pituitary gland to produce more and your T goes up. So if you
want to reduce T the trick is to find the correct dosage and then spit it up so
that it is not all used up. That being very difficult so instead you take one
large dose per day and overwhelm the system with much more than is needed.

Some patients could take as little as 1mg every hour and totally shutdown the
testes production of T. Others might take as much as 16mg per hour. Ideally
a time release capsule of sprio would be perfect, but no such deliver method
exists.

casperz, very interesting topic!

casperz,

I currently take 50mg spironolactone/day.
Taking 25mg of spironolactone 3 times a day(I mean: 3x25mg=75mg per day), will be more beneficial than taking 50mg of spironolactone once a day? Will this have any reaction with finasteride?

Many thanks
Chris

Whoop

Established Member
Reaction score
Neis,

How the hell can you think of continuing oral spironolactone after reading this?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
casperz said:
Does spironolactone reduce T?

spironolactone does not reduce testosterone directly but it certainly will reduce testosterone through modifying the feedback loop and the dosage can be very small if taken correctly.

spironolactone certainly _does_ reduce testosterone directly! And more about the "feedback loop" in just a moment...

casperz said:
What happens is spironolactone binds to the T receptors leaving an excess of T floating around un-bound. The pituitary glad which regulates the T production senses the excess T and tells the testes to produce less T. Over time the pituitary will continue to down-regulate the T that is produced until the free T is normal again.

LOL! I have a question here that I'd like you to ask your doctor-friend: how does the pituitary gland "sense" the excess T? Post his answer here for all of us to see! :)

casperz said:
What about these studies that show it does not change T levels?

Studies are often looking at one focused problem and people tend to read into them many, many things and come up with totally off-base conclusions. I'm completely up to date on the effects of spironolactone and prescribe it to male patients for very specific reasons and I know first hand that and have no doubt that spironolactone will reduce testosterone at some dosage level.

Ask him if he knows of a medical reference (textbook or study) proving that only 50 mg/day can lower T to "female levels". Post the medical reference or citation here.

casperz said:
How does spironolactone regrow hair?

The ONLY reason that people see results from oral spironolactone is not magic, they just reduce there T levels and at the same time DHT. Less DHT to attack the follicles means less hair loss. spironolactone does not add anything other than a complete shutdown of T at higher dosages.

Is your doctor-friend completely unaware that antiandrogens can benefit hairgrowth simply by binding to androgen receptors and suppressing the effects of androgens on hair follicles, without affecting systemic T levels at all? Hasn't he ever heard of purely TOPICAL antiandrogens like RU58841, and their effect on hair?? :shock: :) :smack:

casperz said:
Does the same thing happen with finasteride?

The same thing happens to a degree with finasteride which blocks DHT only from the receptors. The excess DHT is converted into estrogen and depending on the sensitivity of the mans breast tissue may experience gyno.

Did he mean to say "testosterone" instead of "DHT"? DHT cannot be converted into estrogen.

Also, I assume he was speaking very very loosely about how finasteride "blocks DHT from the receptors" (it doesn't really do that, of course).

Jack

Reaction score
So according to this doctor , every anti androgen which blocks receptors causes excess T which in turn causes the pituitary gland to lower T production ??
By that logic , even topicals like RU or rivivogen or topical spironolactone would cause testicular atrophy !! They block receptors locally in the scalp/follicles and thus result in higher T overall ?
Also why would finasteride do the same ? In finasteride's case , the excess T IS allowed to bind to androgen receptors , which in turn would negate that whole pituitary gland downregulation thing .

Jack

Reaction score
Petchsky said:
Why are people so quick to judge here ? They read one uninformed post about something and feel all comfirmed about their fear monging about a certain drug.
This doctor doesn't even know how spironolactone works ! spironolactone DOES lower T synthesis directly , not through a feedback loop ! But It's main mechanism of action is the blocking of androgen receptors . Bryan provided plenty of evidence to prove that.
Meanwhile poeple on here smash drugs like flutamide and finasteride and dutasteride on their scalp which DOES get absorbed systemical and probalby has NO local effect at all , yet they feel all warm and cosy because they don't swollow a tablet . :innocent:
If you guys honor doctor's opinions so much , why don't you go on an accutane course ,because according to that egyptian doctor in the large "sebum causes hairloss " thread you will grow lots of hair on it

Jack

Reaction score
seaback said:
I agree with the second part of the post... But how does spironolactone lower T synthesis ???? I would like to know the answer... But I can't find it anywhere !!! God damn it !

Can't find the source behind this , but Bryan posted this in the other spironolactone thread , I'm sure he quotes a study in one of the other threads .

Bryan said:
The reason that spironolactone decreases testosterone production (at least with large doses) is that spironolactone does more than just function as an antiandrogen. It also interferes chemically with the testosterone-producing machinery in the Leydig cells of the testes. If you give a large oral dose of spironolactone to a man, his testosterone will decline despite the antiandrogenic effect of the drug. But I'm unsure about what happens at much smaller doses: does the antiandrogenic effect win out, or does the testosterone-synthesis-suppressing effect win out, or is it a draw? I don't know the answer to that question.

So this is consistent with the anectodes that lower doses of spironolactone decrease T only slightly , or in fact increase it some, and I believe this rather than the loop feedback thing.
IF you take HIGH doses of spironolactone , IMO there may be the possiblity of testicular atrophy , because as Bryan said : The Testosterone synthesis WILL decline at these doses (I'm talking more about doses of 200mg and more)
Nevertheless I will cross of low dose oral spironolactone as a treatment off myself - not because of fear of sides , but because the gains will be too little for it to have much of an effect - I will concentrate on dutasteride or finasteride , it just makes more sense - after 12 to 18 months on dutasteride I will decide if I'm satisfied and the gains are worth it over finasteride - might switch back again. Now topical spironolactone might make some sense , because it's supposedly one of the few topicals which doesn't get absorbed systemical at all (unlike Flutamite :thumbdown2: )

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Jack said:
So according to this doctor , every anti androgen which blocks receptors causes excess T which in turn causes the pituitary gland to lower T production ??
By that logic , even topicals like RU or rivivogen or topical spironolactone would cause testicular atrophy !! They block receptors locally in the scalp/follicles and thus result in higher T overall ?

It all seems pretty silly, doesn't it? BTW, that's not ALL that I found questionable with what the Doctor said. I had problems with some other things, too, but I decided just to hit the high points in my post.

However, we do need to keep in mind that what the Doctor said is being filtered through Casperz. Let's give him a chance to respond before making any final judgement.

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Simply unbelievable. LOL.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
casperz said:
Simply unbelievable. LOL.

That's it? No further comment on the points I raised? Are you going to get further responses to what I said from your doctor-friend?

neis

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan,

I want your opinion on this: (I am sure you the are only pers that can give me an accurate answer)

1) Taking 25mg of spironolactone 3 times a day(I mean: 3x25mg=75mg per day), will be more beneficial(will have a slightly larger impact on testosterone reduction?) than taking 75mg of spironolactone once a day?
2) Does oral spironolactone react with finasteride?

Petchsky

Reaction score
Jack said:
Petchsky said:
Why are people so quick to judge here ? They read one uninformed post about something and feel all comfirmed about their fear monging about a certain drug.

I wouldn't take oral spironolactone because transvestites take it and it lowers testosterone! - I don't see anyone recommending oral spironolactone as a safe hairloss drug.

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
IBM said:
neis

Almost 2 years taking Oral spironolactone and 2 years and 4 months taking Finasteride. From my experience its safe to take it.
neis said:
Bryan,

I want your opinion on this: (I am sure you the are only pers that can give me an accurate answer)

1) Taking 25mg of spironolactone 3 times a day(I mean: 3x25mg=75mg per day), will be more beneficial(will have a slightly larger impact on testosterone reduction?) than taking 75mg of spironolactone once a day?
2) Does oral spironolactone react with finasteride?

Seeing you both are at ground zero here with spironolactone and with all the technical stuff aside, can I ask you both to address the most important thing we are on this forum for, in simple terms, how has oral spironolactone effected the both of you in terms of side effects and hair loss? Did you grow boobs, less body hair, less scalp hair loss, any erectile distinction?

My feeling sometimes is that I have to much test. and surely a small dose (I said a small dose) of spironolactone might be nice to take the edge off, I mean I think this cowboy attitude your gona convert to a women man boob paranoia thing is out of control sometimes.

IBM

Reaction score
Side effects i have were little gyno from time to time and lethargy. So far i didnt had sexual side effects.

neis

Established Member
Reaction score
IBM thanks for the feedback,

I take finasteride in the morning and 50mg spironolactone at night.
Do you take finasteride and spironolactone together or separately?

I just wonder if these two different chemicals may or may not react together.

IBM

Reaction score
neis said:
IBM thanks for the feedback,

I take finasteride in the morning and 50mg spironolactone at night.
Do you take finasteride and spironolactone together or separately?

I just wonder if these two different chemicals may or may not react together.

LIke you i take finasteride in the morning and spironolactone in the night.