All vitamins are lies

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I happened to watch the film Supersize Me last night in which a healthy but receding man insulted and patronised fast food junkies by doing an extreme version of their diet for a month. The fact that all these desperately unhealthy slobs had mammoth and full heads of hair seemed to escape his attention. It did not escape mine.

I have become so disillusioned with the spite and contrariness of the health/food/hair lobby I could cry. Vitamins are sh*t, smarties are prettier.

I feel better after getting that off my chest - now I can enjoy my cornflakes without pouring flax seed all over them...

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
tylerg6 said:
I have been having a good reaction to Biotin.

I don't doubt the efficacy of vitamins from food - I just think the supplement thing is hyped out of all proportion.

We should be studying the DNA markers of most hamburgers.

tommyblah

Reaction score
tylerg6 said:
I have been having a good reaction to Biotin.
My sister said her hair was getting thin from alot of color treating and Biotin has made it thicker & grow faster. Is that the same result you're getting?

tommyblah

Reaction score
tchehov said:
I happened to watch the film Supersize Me last night in which a healthy but receding man insulted and patronised fast food junkies by doing an extreme version of their diet for a month. The fact that all these desperately unhealthy slobs had mammoth and full heads of hair seemed to escape his attention. It did not escape mine.
I'd rather be the receded intelligent guy who questions things and has a well-rounded understanding of the world rather than one of the big dumb mammoths that has to spend 30-40% of their day cramming their face with food.

Solo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
That documentary is bullshit.

Eat oranges for a month.

In two weeks you´ll be probably death.

Oranges are the worst. Oranges are wicked. Shame on you, orange collectors, you are poisoning our sons.

IMHO, vitamin suplements are unnecessary unless you have a specific deficience. And deficiences are caused by the organism´s biochemistry malfunction, mainly, not for dietary reasons.

We should be aware that the variety of foods we have now was unthinkable 100 years or less ago. People had restricted diets, due to availability reasons, and they got all the needed from little types of foods. Not to talk they had a poorer ratio of intake/use of food.

Felk

Reaction score
Solo said:
That documentary is bullshit.

Eat oranges for a month.

Oranges are the worst. Oranges are wicked. Shame on you, orange collectors, you are poisoning our sons.

IMHO, vitamin suplements are unnecessary unless you have a specific deficience. And deficiences are caused by the organism´s biochemistry malfunction, mainly, not for dietary reasons.

We should be aware that the variety of foods we have now was unthinkable 100 years or less ago. People had restricted diets, due to availability reasons, and they got all the needed from little types of foods. Not to talk they had a poorer ratio of intake/use of food.

But the difference is no one puts out the image of a reasonably well balanced meal/diet coming solely from oranges.

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Solo said:
Eat oranges for a month.

It's strange you should say that, Solo. Last year I got a taste for oranges real bad and laid into them big time. I mean four, five, six oranges a day for about six months. And I felt like sh*t the whole time as well as losing a gaggle of hair. Now I've got the same craze for grapes (have you noticed it's getting increasingly difficult to locate grapes with seeds, yet we're all out for grapeseed extract).

The point of my above post was just to indicate the extent to which I've lost faith in supplements/healthy eating as a partial remedy for hair loss. I've hoped it wasn't all genetic and there was a lifestyle choice I could make which would empower me a little regarding my fight for hair...but it's not the case unfortunately. I think I'm a little jealous of the slobs because many of them have that choice.

I guess there are a number of hard truths to be learned over the life of a regimen and this is one of them.

tylerg6

Reaction score
I have been using biotin for around a month. My head feels better (as in i dont have that itch or burning feeling) and my hair is definatly looking and feeling thicker.

All i am doing is 2% nizoral and T-gel with these biotin pills and have actually been seeing results lately. It has taken a while though for everything (4-6 months) but creating a good scalp environment helps a lot.

I take 2.5mg - 3 mg of biotin a day. I swear to god it works. You just have to be patient and stick to it.

Solo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
But the difference is no one puts out the image of a reasonably well balanced meal/diet coming solely from oranges.

Well, so you say the hamburger restaurants are wicked as they state eating a hamburger meal every day is healthy.

Do they really say that?? I´m not sure if I´ve seen it in any McDonalds promo. Really, I can´t say it properly.

Anyway, McDonalds can only do promotions, not nutritional or medical advices. People should be aware about this when dealing with advices coming fromm companies.

They could make a promo saying that you could eat fast food and be healthy, and include nutritional opinion and stuff, but it is a promo. Just as cologne seller´s advices imply that you´ll be able to shag fantastic women if you spray their sh*t on you.

If you go and base your diet on hamburgers it´s because of weakness of your judgement, not because McDonalds gives bad nutritional advice, anyway, who believes anything McDonalds says??

I think that everyone who eats fast food has very clear it´s not good stuff for everyday.

But going from there to blaming McDonalds as child corrupters, liars, fattie people abusers, evil hearted company as if they´d sell dope there´s a huge step.

A step called oportunism, demagogy and mass stupidity.

People should be focusing his critics efforts in destroying power abuses from goverments and erradicating hunger from earth, not pointing with his finger a company that sells burgers. We all now burgers are full of fat and bad sh*t, damnit, that´s why we like it.

CCS

Reaction score
If you eat too much, you can get dehydrated. Just drink water while you eat. I love oranges.

Artista

Established Member
Reaction score
Vitamins and supplements are not hype. Biotin and MSM specifically improve hair growth for many. If you are able to get all you need every day from your diet, then great. Some of us can't or can't afford it- so vitamins and supplements are for those of us who simply can't. Thank God too because my hair shedding problem has decreased since going on a good multi-vitamin, upping my iron intake, and increasing some of the B Vitamins which are the first to go when under stress. 8)

grantepalmer

Reaction score
oranges

Eating too many oranges may have been giving you too much vitamin A. Excess vitamin A has shown to cause hair loss.

Nick4441

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Its wierd you say this.

But how many bald tramps and down and outs do you see?

They are unhealthy and eat poorly yet keep their hair...we spend all this cash and get vitamins and supplements and look where it gets us....

sublime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: oranges

grantepalmer said:
Eating too many oranges may have been giving you too much vitamin A. Excess vitamin A has shown to cause hair loss.

Toxicity only occurs if you eat to much liver. Vitamin A from fruits and veggie's are usually eaten as beta-carotene (carotenoids) and then the body converts them to provitamin A. When the stores of Vitamin A become fuller the body begins to convert less and less beta-carotene to pro-vitamin A.

Either way one would have to consume tons of Oranges as the amount of calcium is equal to the carotenoid level, which is not much.

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: oranges

grantepalmer said:

You mean Vitamin C. C is water soluable so the worst case scenario is that you have expensive urine.

G

Sublime, how much is your regimen a month and how long do you spend just taking it? Curious..... :wink:

CCS

Reaction score
vitamins can save your life. So can anti-oxidants. The tittle of this thread is stupid. Vitamin C megadoses don't work because you need the bioflavonoids as cofacters. You can buy vitamin C with bioflavonoids, though I think you need less than 500mg per day. Pomegranate juice can reverse vein plaque. Anti-oxidants slow the build up of plaque. Vitamin K deficiency causes the simultaneous calcification of the veins and decalcification of the bones, and I don't know how anyone gets enough vitamin K unless they are eathing lots of leafy greens each day and their body can separate the K from the chlorophil, which is easier to do if you eat them with some fat. So salad dressing does have vallue after all. I'm buying pills, though, to make sure.

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm not really slagging off vitamins wholesale, well, I am a bit. It's a very confusing marketplace - I've just come from another thread detailing a study claiming green tea INCREASES DHT. I mean, WTF, for months/years green tea has been highly recommended here, now a little doubt creeps in and no-one knows what to think.

Next month we might have a study debunking Turmeric, or MSM or God knows what.

I never touched a vitamin pill in my life until a couple of years ago when I developed an eating disorder and started taking one of those pro-biotic/friendly bacteria multi-vitamins. I wouldn't touch one of those now.

I just don't think vitamins & supplements stand a chance against your genetics and the toxin DHT - when I think of what DHT is doing to my hair I imagine someone pouring salt over a slug. Nothing's gonna bring that baby back again...

Edit: Yes, College, the title of this thread is annoying, deliberately so - it reflects my utter confusion about the pro's and cons of supplementing.