Am i balding ? or is it maturing hairline. 20 years old

James333

My Regimen
Reaction score
Could this be what is called maturing hairline ? or am i balding. Baldness runs through my mother's side her father and brothers started losing their hair when they were around 25 years olds. My father started losing hair lately 50yrs+. From what i know baldness comes through our maternal side.

I was thinking about getting on finasteride but long term side effects(gyno, prostate cancer) scared me.

At the age of 20 is not it little bit early? body is not fully developed and i am afraid hormone blockers might ruin everything .And what about the sides how common are they : Gyno, Breast/prostate cancer and is it possible to control them before they go too far ? like what can be the signs that i am developing gyno

Would you recommend starting finasteride ? if yes, is it okay if i take Proscar instead ? wherever i am currently its kinda hard getting Propecia.

And do i have to take finasteride my whole life ?or i can stop it at some point from what i know doctors usually prescribe it after hair transplant but i have not heard anyone taking medication their whole life to keep their hair.

Sorry for the bad picture quality. Also please note that pictures on my crown area are taken with flashlight and it makes it look worse than its actually is.

Any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• crown1.jpg
    crown1.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 276
  • crown2.jpg
    crown2.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 219
  • crown3.jpg
    crown3.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 231
  • frontmain.PNG
    frontmain.PNG
    353.3 KB · Views: 233
  • left1.jpg
    left1.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 250
  • top1.jpg
    top1.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 266
  • top2.jpg
    top2.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 273

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Firstly, well done on being so young but well aware of how dangerous using Finasteride can be. Blocking 70% of DHT which is the second most important hormone in males is obviously going to cause bad side effects in a LOT of men.

Secondly, genetic hair loss is not linear, meaning just because your dad started losing hair at 50 + doesn't mean you will follow that exact path.

Infact, I've noticed that this generation starts to lose hair even faster than the previous generations.

Also, I would say that you should consider using Minoxidil Topical 5% everyday twice a day PLUS Microneedle once every 2 weeks. You can skip Minoxidil application on the day you microneedle.

Also, whatever treatment you use, I'd say you only need to buy yourself time till 2023 when Kintor Pharmaceuticals drug called Pyrilutamide will be released which will supposedly be what Finasteride wishes it could have done and without side effects.

You're lucky you're still young and your hairloss isn't really bad but I would advise you start treatment as I can see scalp on the top of your head.

Also, when your hair is short, wet it and take a picture for yourself, you don't need to post it here, it will give you a true idea of whether you're really losing hair/thinning.

Because Dry, washed and styled hair makes it easier to cover up hairloss so it's difficult to judge then.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, try and start finasteride as quickly as you can. Most tolerate it quite well, even if you do get sides they will in all likely hood be minor, if you do get severe sides then simply stop. Finasteride is still for most the gold standard when it comes to hair loss.

James333

My Regimen
Reaction score
Firstly, well done on being so young but well aware of how dangerous using Finasteride can be. Blocking 70% of DHT which is the second most important hormone in males is obviously going to cause bad side effects in a LOT of men.

Secondly, genetic hair loss is not linear, meaning just because your dad started losing hair at 50 + doesn't mean you will follow that exact path.

Infact, I've noticed that this generation starts to lose hair even faster than the previous generations.

Also, I would say that you should consider using Minoxidil Topical 5% everyday twice a day PLUS Microneedle once every 2 weeks. You can skip Minoxidil application on the day you microneedle.

Also, whatever treatment you use, I'd say you only need to buy yourself time till 2023 when Kintor Pharmaceuticals drug called Pyrilutamide will be released which will supposedly be what Finasteride wishes it could have done and without side effects.

You're lucky you're still young and your hairloss isn't really bad but I would advise you start treatment as I can see scalp on the top of your head.

Also, when your hair is short, wet it and take a picture for yourself, you don't need to post it here, it will give you a true idea of whether you're really losing hair/thinning.

Because Dry, washed and styled hair makes it easier to cover up hairloss so it's difficult to judge then.
If you don't mind could you explain how Minoxidil works ? I read that it makes the blood vessels wider in order to increase blood flow, but how is it preventing hair from falling off again it doesn't do anything to the main cause DHT.

I was really thinking about Finasteride but screw it man too much risk i would rather get hair transplant in the future.

James333

My Regimen
Reaction score

Also what do you think of Zinc Gluconate and Biotin should i try them as well ? i've heard they are worth trying

James333

My Regimen
Reaction score

Sorry for writing seperate replies forgot to ask this how do i use microneedle am i supposed to run it over my hair? or just bald spots

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you don't mind could you explain how Minoxidil works ? I read that it makes the blood vessels wider in order to increase blood flow, but how is it preventing hair from falling off again it doesn't do anything to the main cause DHT.

I was really thinking about Finasteride but screw it man too much risk i would rather get hair transplant in the future.
Minoxidil is a vasodilator, meaning it’s designed to dilate blood vessels and improve the flow of blood to certain areas of your body.

Blood carries oxygen and nutrients, so it's obvious that sending your hair Follicle that is also vitally important as the hair Follicles tend to become starved of those when Male Patterned Balding takes place which results in thinner, weaker, dry looking hair, which basically looks malnourished because it's lacking those.

Although its mechanism of action isn’t exactly known, it is believed that when applied topically in the form of a serum or foam, minoxidil interacts with scalp sulfotransferase, which converts it into minoxidil sulfate — which is thought to be the active form of minoxidil.

From there, it shortens your hair’s telogen phase (the phase when the hair is resting and beginning the process of falling out), and pushes it into the anagen phase (the growth phase) prematurely, and even extends the growth period of hair, making your hair grow longer and thicker.

It does not address the problem of DHT, but neither does Finasteride for a very large % of people.

The mechanism of action which Finasteride works which inhibits the production of DHT is not the correct solution, it often causes a worsening effect of DHT and increases follicles sensitivity to DHT, which is why many people report a worsening effect from DHT.

Simply, because we don't have a safe and correct method of solving the DHT problem by all the current anti-androgens on the market, I would suggest not touching any anti-androgen such as Finasteride or Dutasteride.

You just need to wait till 2023 when Kintor Pharmaceuticals drug called Pyrilutamide will be released, that will tackle the DHT problem more effectively supposedly and perform better than Finasteride as well without the side effects of Finasteride supposedly.

Finasteride and Pyrilutamide are very different.

Finasteride is a 5-α-reductase inhibitor that works by decreasing production of DHT by 70%.

Pyrilutamide is an androgen receptor antagonist, that binds to HF's (Hair Follicle's) androgen receptors avoiding androgens doing so.

Last edited:

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Also what do you think of Zinc Gluconate and Biotin should i try them as well ? i've heard they are worth trying

There's a few vitamins that are really good to have. Zinc, Biotin, Vitamin B6 Vitamin E, A, and C... Get which you can afford. They won't solve your hairloss but they will make your hairs more healthy and stronger.

Last edited:

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry for writing seperate replies forgot to ask this how do i use microneedle am i supposed to run it over my hair? or just bald spots

I would suggest investing in a Derma Pen (it's much more effective and less painful than using a Dermaroller) , such as a Derminator 2 or Dr Pen M8, if you can afford it. Only use it twice a week.

And if you can try to change the cartridges after every use. I think the Dr Pen M8 comes with about 9 or 12 free cartridges, so that should last you like 5 to 6 months which is a really long time if you change needle cartridges after every session.

I think it's like $5 per cartridge which isn't bad because you only need to microneedle once every 2 weeks, and basically it only costs you $10 on needle cartridges per month.

Check on YouTube for tutorials on how to use a Derma Pen for Hairloss. I would advise using it on the whole top of your scalp, including your hairline.

Jacoby77

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

You're serious, there is a tablet called pyr coming that will help hair loss..? But it'll be entirely experimental, and how do you know this is the dead line. Thanks.

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You're serious, there is a tablet called pyr coming that will help hair loss..? But it'll be entirely experimental, and how do you know this is the dead line. Thanks.

Yes. Pyrilutamide.

Read about it here:

Pyrilutamide is flying through the clinical trial process in unprecedented speed.

It's already finished the Phase 2 trial and is planning to start a Phase 3 before the end of this year.

Judging by the speed and the fact that they not only met all promises, which is rare in the hairloss industry (basically never happens) it is actually highly probable they will meet the timeline they proposed of 2023 release in China and 2024 for the US.

Jacoby77

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes. Pyrilutamide.

Read about it here:

Pyrilutamide is flying through the clinical trial process in the unprecedented speed.

It's already finished the Phase 2 trial and is planning to start a Phase 3 before the end of this year.

Judging by the speed and the fact that they not only met all promises, which is rare in the hairloss industry (basically never happens) it is actually highly probable they will meet the timeline they proposed of 2023 release in China and 2024 for the US.
Well, I don't see many others talking about it but will read. Thanks.

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, I don't see many others talking about it but will read. Thanks.

You're following the wrong people, threads or websites then. It's common knowledge to the clued up people here and people have discussed it in length several times on this forum.

Subscribe to the Follicle Thought website and read their "updates" and "articles" section for all the latest news about hair loss treatments in the pipeline, all in one place.

Also, Google: "Follicle Thought - Ultimate Guide to Hair Regeneration 2021" and you will see all the best treatments in the pipeline with their proposed timelines for market release all in one nice neat table + a simple explanation of each treatment below.

royce gracie

My Regimen
Reaction score

You have a common misconception, a future hair transplant isn't necessarily the perfect solution if you're trying to avoid anti-androgens. The hair follicles you get transplanted are still at risk of thinning and the ones that are still on your scalp might also thin or fall out in the future. Even if you wait until you're a slick Norwood 7 you might still be f*****g yourself because your donor area might suck too much to actually get a decent looking transplant. Bottom line though, the majority of hair transplant patients still need to take finasteride to maintain. If you tell your surgeon you don't plan on doing so he might refuse to go through with it, given that you'll be a future shitty result from his clinic.

You can't avoid dealing with androgens. Whether that be by taking finasteride or something else.

James333

My Regimen
Reaction score
You're following the wrong people, threads or websites then. It's common knowledge to the clued up people here and people have discussed it in length several times on this forum.

Subscribe to the Follicle Thought website and read their "updates" and "articles" section for all the latest news about hair loss treatments in the pipeline, all in one place.

Also, Google: "Follicle Thought - Ultimate Guide to Hair Regeneration 2021" and you will see all the best treatments in the pipeline with their proposed timelines for market release all in one nice neat table + a simple explanation of each treatment below.
I would suggest investing in a Derma Pen (it's much more effective and less painful than using a Dermaroller) , such as a Derminator 2 or Dr Pen M8, if you can afford it. Only use it twice a week.

And if you can try to change the cartridges after every use. I think the Dr Pen M8 comes with about 9 or 12 free cartridges, so that should last you like 5 to 6 months which is a really long time if you change needle cartridges after every session.

I think it's like $5 per cartridge which isn't bad because you only need to microneedle once every 2 weeks, and basically it only costs you $10 on needle cartridges per month.

Check on YouTube for tutorials on how to use a Derma Pen for Hairloss. I would advise using it on the whole top of your scalp, including your hairline.
Thanks for the great answers man, appreciate it. Derma pen is little bit expensive for me right now i will start with Minoxidil and Mesoroller, do you have any tips for Mesoroller usage ?

James333

My Regimen
Reaction score
You have a common misconception, a future hair transplant isn't necessarily the perfect solution if you're trying to avoid anti-androgens. The hair follicles you get transplanted are still at risk of thinning and the ones that are still on your scalp might also thin or fall out in the future. Even if you wait until you're a slick Norwood 7 you might still be f*****g yourself because your donor area might suck too much to actually get a decent looking transplant. Bottom line though, the majority of hair transplant patients still need to take finasteride to maintain. If you tell your surgeon you don't plan on doing so he might refuse to go through with it, given that you'll be a future shitty result from his clinic.

You can't avoid dealing with androgens. Whether that be by taking finasteride or something else.
Thanks for the answer, it sucks that you have to take Finasteride even after the hair transplant. Anyways i am not going to touch any hormone blockers i would rather just go bald.

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

This is actually the common misconception, that you need to use Finasteride post Hair Transplant which isn't true.

People still thin and lose hairs even when using Finasteride post treatment. Finasteride is not the solution.

Also, there's a large amount of people who get sides from Finasteride and going to use Finasteride after a Hair Transplant will end up making their hair transplant actually useless.

And I'm not even talking about the mental and sexual side effects of Finasteride.

I'm talking about reflex hyper androgenicity, upregulation of AR. Which actually makes hairloss a lot worse.

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the great answers man, appreciate it. Derma pen is little bit expensive for me right now i will start with Minoxidil and Mesoroller, do you have any tips for Mesoroller usage ?

You're welcome. I don't know about the Mesoroller, but a Dermaroller is okay to start of with. Just watch a lot of YouTube tutorials and learn and do's and don'ts from there.

James333

My Regimen
Reaction score
You're welcome. I don't know about the Mesoroller, but a Dermaroller is okay to start of with. Just watch a lot of YouTube tutorials and learn and do's and don'ts from there.
One last question do i have to use Dermaroller everyday along with Minoxidil ? and which one would you suggest 0.5mm or 1.0mm ?