Any chance this isn't a receeding hairline?

Ourkes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm 20, and my hair is thinning I think like the trichologist said but early stages so seeing a dermatologist soon. But I found out I was badly lacking vitamin D so maybe that is causing the thinning. View attachment 164866
Hair looks really dense and solid in this photo. You have great hair. Really have to question the trichologist.

Jacoby77

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair looks really dense and solid in this photo. You have great hair. Really have to question the trichologist.
Trust me my hair isn't thick, I have a fair bit of hair sure but thick isn't it. It's like fine hair a lot of fine hair that makes it look and feel kinda thick only because there is so much. I'm seeing a dermatologist soon.

But thank you. I'm just so worried about it.

It's just weird, I thought a circle pattern or rounded temples means balding. I have rounded temples kinda if I comb the sides over too. It isn't rounded like naturally, I just mean if I comb it all up the sides make it look weird.

Ourkes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Trust me my hair isn't thick, I have a fair bit of hair sure but thick isn't it. It's like fine hair a lot of fine hair that makes it look and feel kinda thick only because there is so much. I'm seeing a dermatologist soon.

But thank you. I'm just so worried about it.

It's just weird, I thought a circle pattern or rounded temples means balding. I have rounded temples kinda if I comb the sides over too. It isn't rounded like naturally, I just mean if I comb it all up the sides make it look weird.
Dense fine hair is what I have, my hair strands are very fine. It doesn’t mean balding, fine hair is just a natural hair attribute of those that have fine hair.

Your hairline looks normal to me, just not juvenile, which is expected. I see women in the gym with the same hairline training with their hair pulled back. Some women even look receded when they do this (yes I know, if I keep looking at women’s hair in the gym I will no doubt be kicked out at some stage!!)

Keen to hear what the derm says. Be sure to tell your derm how much this is impacting your life, as its important they really take time to examine your hair and give you a proper diagnosis so that you can move on with your life, one way or the other)

Jacoby77

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dense fine hair is what I have, my hair strands are very fine. It doesn’t mean balding, fine hair is just a natural hair attribute of those that have fine hair.

Your hairline looks normal to me, just not juvenile, which is expected. I see women in the gym with the same hairline training with their hair pulled back. Some women even look receded when they do this (yes I know, if I keep looking at women’s hair in the gym I will no doubt be kicked out at some stage!!)

Keen to hear what the derm says. Be sure to tell your derm how much this is impacting your life, as its important they really take time to examine your hair and give you a proper diagnosis so that you can move on with your life, one way or the other)
Unfortunately bro, closest derm is 5 hours away I don't have a license and honestly don't want to make two trips, I simply can't afford it. Dermatologist sais you have to get a consultation before any scalp biopsy, so basically she will be checking my hair with her hands, and eyes no equipment until the appointment after thst, unfortunately I won't be able to see her a second time as I can't go back down to that city twice with my situation.

Should I still book in for a consultation? Will she be able to determine hairloss with 0 equipment or would that not be accurate?

It's literally all I can do, a consultation. So I can go down to see them, if they aren't sure I probably can just see if my hair gets worse myself. That's of course if they don't diagnose me the second they look at my hair, in that case I'll take finasteride.

Ourkes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Unfortunately bro, closest derm is 5 hours away I don't have a license and honestly don't want to make two trips, I simply can't afford it. Dermatologist sais you have to get a consultation before any scalp biopsy, so basically she will be checking my hair with her hands, and eyes no equipment until the appointment after thst, unfortunately I won't be able to see her a second time as I can't go back down to that city twice with my situation.

Should I still book in for a consultation? Will she be able to determine hairloss with 0 equipment or would that not be accurate?

It's literally all I can do, a consultation. So I can go down to see them, if they aren't sure I probably can just see if my hair gets worse myself. That's of course if they don't diagnose me the second they look at my hair, in that case I'll take finasteride.
I understand mate. I think it will be worth it, as the derm might be able to give you some good advice by just looking at your hair. I've never had a scalp biopsy and the derms and hair transplant surgeon I saw were able to give me solid comfort just by examining my hair and looking through a dermatoscope. What I have noticed is that, none of them will say, "you do not have male pattern baldness", particularly if you are convinced you are thinning - they just won't leave themselves open like that, as obviously male pattern baldness can kick in at any point. However, what they all told me was that I had excellent density and should my hair deteriorate, they can help me maintain it. As mentioned, this was years ago and my hair never changed. They also take account of your family history and explain the most likely outcome, which I suspect you already know, but it is good to hear from a medical professional.

What I found most useful was that all of them said harsh lighting, wet hair, greasy hair, hair with product in etc can make hair look like it is thinning when it is not - they also showed me how photos distort the truth, especially on phones, by taking a photo of their own hair and showing me how it presented while I was sitting there looking at their full head of hair with my own eyes. So much of the advice on here like lighting shows the truth reality is simply not correct.

Jacoby77

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I understand mate. I think it will be worth it, as the derm might be able to give you some good advice by just looking at your hair. I've never had a scalp biopsy and the derms and hair transplant surgeon I saw were able to give me solid comfort just by examining my hair and looking through a dermatoscope. What I have noticed is that, none of them will say, "you do not have male pattern baldness", particularly if you are convinced you are thinning - they just won't leave themselves open like that, as obviously male pattern baldness can kick in at any point. However, what they all told me was that I had excellent density and should my hair deteriorate, they can help me maintain it. As mentioned, this was years ago and my hair never changed. They also take account of your family history and explain the most likely outcome, which I suspect you already know, but it is good to hear from a medical professional.

What I found most useful was that all of them said harsh lighting, wet hair, greasy hair, hair with product in etc can make hair look like it is thinning when it is not - they also showed me how photos distort the truth, especially on phones, by taking a photo of their own hair and showing me how it presented while I was sitting there looking at their full head of hair with my own eyes. So much of the advice on here like lighting shows the truth reality is simply not correct.
I get what you mean. But like, this is clearly either diffuse thinning or fine curly hair. It can't be in between, look at this scalp... I just washed it then. If you honestly think these photos show I need finasteride, maybe this is my only chance to hop on it before I loose it.

If it's diffuse thinning it's definitely late stages, even though I still got a sh*t ton of hair when dry. This makes me so sad but if I need finasteride like I said. Clock is ticking and I probably should try see a derm ASAP! This is all over my scalp, everywhere I pull back when my hair is curly wet shows scalp like this.
Screenshot_20210628_230640.jpg
Screenshot_20210628_230652.jpg
Screenshot_20210628_230802_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg

Jacoby77

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
From that photo You have no male pattern baldness .
Let me change your mind? Curly wet hair here. Is it time to see a dermatologist? Not shedding so I may have time to see one before I begin the pill. I highly doubt this is due to my severe vitamin D deficiency.
Screenshot_20210628_230802_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg
Screenshot_20210628_230652.jpg
IMG_20210628_232050.jpg

Last edited:

Ourkes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not convinced as I have seen wet fine hair, especially curly, look like this time after time - hair bunches up together showing scalp. Plus your scalp is naturally pink and stands out against the hair. Of course, it could be thinning, without seeing it in person it is very hard to gauge. A lot of my friends have diffuse thinning as they are over 35, their hair looks diffused when dry and wet, plus they cannot grow it long, nor style it. Absolutely no way do you have advanced diffuse thinning, look at the photos of your hair dry bro, density unreal. If you have thinning going on, you are already on to it, which is great.

Jacoby77

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not convinced as I have seen wet fine hair, especially curly, look like this time after time - hair bunches up together showing scalp. Plus your scalp is naturally pink and stands out against the hair. Of course, it could be thinning, without seeing it in person it is very hard to gauge. A lot of my friends have diffuse thinning as they are over 35, their hair looks diffused when dry and wet, plus they cannot grow it long, nor style it. Absolutely no way do you have advanced diffuse thinning, look at the photos of your hair dry bro, density unreal. If you have thinning going on, you are already on to it, which is great.
It's so fucked because I have severe acne too and dermatitis so my face is red with a rash constantly. I can't take any anti acne pills as they will interfere with finasteride, it's so shitty.

I mean if absolutell worst came to worst I'd rather have a buzz cut with clear skin.

Ourkes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's so fucked because I have severe acne too and dermatitis so my face is red with a rash constantly. I can't take any anti acne pills as they will interfere with finasteride, it's so shitty.

I mean if absolutell worst came to worst I'd rather have a buzz cut with clear skin.
Pm’d you

Jacoby77

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No recession
Right but my scalp is diffuse thinning if you look at my replies to others. It's weird because my part isn't that big yet my scalp shows when wet. Seeing a derm in 4 months. Waiting time is ridiculous.