any natural success

wookster

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Find evidence of identical twins, separated at birth, where one is balding and the other is not. That would provide some proof that environmental factors like diet, shampooing, etc. are causative factors in the male pattern baldness scenario. So far the evidence is strongly in favor of genetics/heredity and androgens.

Jacob

Reaction score
I personally am not going by just "diet". My "natural" regimen consists of diet..supplements..and topicals that are, for the most part, natural.

JohnnySeville

Established Member
Reaction score
Forget nutrition for hair loss, unless you have some form of deficiency, it will not work. A prime example of this failure of efficacy is Dr. Andrew Weil!

weil_andrew3_med.jpg

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
johnnyseville said:
Forget nutrition for hair loss, unless you have some form of deficiency, it will not work. A prime example of this failure of efficacy is Dr. Andrew Weil!

How is this a VALID example? He may have lost his hair 30-40 yrs ago when he was smoking pot and listening to the DOORs. :roll:

Come on now!

weil_andrew3_med.jpg

Optimist

Established Member
Reaction score
Thinneritgoes! said:
male pattern baldness has nothing to do with diet.....
The healthiest person on the planet could go bald

Look at all the bald athletes. male pattern baldness is genetic. Trying to takes herbs and vitamins for male pattern baldness is no different than trying to use the stuff to make yourself taller or shorter or whatever. It is really an unfortunate thing to associate balding with poor health.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Yeah you know though theres a hundred million posts and people that will argue until we are all Norwood 7 that diet is what makes us go bald or significantly impacts it. Diet is brought up everyday. I mean DHT certainly is not all there is to it, but lets not all just start making things up so we can feel more empowered.

Pondle

Reaction score
abcdefg said:
Yeah you know though theres a hundred million posts and people that will argue until we are all Norwood 7 that diet is what makes us go bald or significantly impacts it. Diet is brought up everyday. I mean DHT certainly is not all there is to it, but lets not all just start making things up so we can feel more empowered.

People who believe in the influence of diet on male pattern baldness have to disprove the null hypothesis, i.e. that it makes no difference. None of them have been able to cite robust data on comparative hair counts; perhaps no studies exist.

Given that we can point to people who have similar diets and lifestyles yet different experiences of hair loss, I think we should err very much on the side of caution.

goingoinbutnotgone

Established Member
Reaction score
Very interesting discussion, fellows.
#1 genetics. Remember, the gene pool is huge. imagine a gumball machine with 90% white and 10% black gumballs. If you remove 3 at a time over and over, you are likely to get 3 whites. BUT, on occasion you will get a black and you might even get 2 blacks and one white. One member of the family with balding tendencies WILL pass it along, but the occurence is RANDOM.

#2. Naturals. What you eat really will make a difference in the race to save your hair. Vitamins do a little, but the big thing to focus on is avoiding FAT. Especially animal fat. Avoiding it will also help you to live longer since heart disease is the #1 killer in the US.
I have found much success with topical essential oils. Do a search and look for my posts about it. My hair is actually growing back after 20 years of loss. I am not selling anything at all. Just stating my personal facts.

#3. Drugs. finasteride and Min are proven to stop hair loss for some individuals and the risk of harming your body are miniscual compared to eating pork and red meats and fried foods. They work!

Pondle

Reaction score
sublime said:
Pondle said:
abcdefg said:

People who believe in the influence of diet on male pattern baldness have to disprove the null hypothesis, i.e. that it makes no difference. None of them have been able to cite robust data on comparative hair counts; perhaps no studies exist.

Given that we can point to people who have similar diets and lifestyles yet different experiences of hair loss, I think we should err very much on the side of caution.

I would like people who believe DHT causes hair loss to prove that theory as well. You see no one can prove much of anything about hair loss. In some folks DHT seems to be the relevant cause of hair loss, in others it is something else. DHT causing hair loss is not called a theory for nothing.

Well, we know that balding scalp has higher levels of DHT than hirsute scalp. And we know that intersexuals with 5AR deficiency don't experience hair loss. We also know that DHT inhibitor drugs can regrow hair or slow loss dramatically.

sublime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Pondle said:
sublime said:
Pondle said:
abcdefg said:

I would like people who believe DHT causes hair loss to prove that theory as well. You see no one can prove much of anything about hair loss. In some folks DHT seems to be the relevant cause of hair loss, in others it is something else. DHT causing hair loss is not called a theory for nothing.

Well, we know that balding scalp has higher levels of DHT than hirsute scalp. And we know that intersexuals with 5AR deficiency don't experience hair loss. We also know that DHT inhibitor drugs can regrow hair or slow loss dramatically.

Unfortunetly we also know the opposite of each of those scenerio's. Trust me I wish it were just DHT then this whole painful situation could be ended with something like propecia.

mumuka

Established Member
Reaction score
[quote="sublime

#1. Poor genes can be reversed through diets or at least that is what Pottingers cat study shows us is possible. Maybe Native folks never suffered from hair loss because they maintained a very healthy diet where as the europeans did not.
[/quote]

I need to dig out those old balding american native tribe chef pics...

Pondle

Reaction score
sublime said:
Pondle said:
sublime said:
Pondle said:
abcdefg said:

Unfortunetly we also know the opposite of each of those scenerio's. Trust me I wish it were just DHT then this whole painful situation could be ended with something like propecia.

Well it's not just DHT, it's the sensitivity or preponderance of androgen receptors as well. That's why Androgenetic Alopecia presents differently between men, and between men and women. From reading the views of posters like Michael Barry, Bryan, CCS etc etc. it also seems that receptor exposure to DHT causes some kind of immune response to the hair follicle - hence the effectiveness of immunosupressant drugs in regrowing hair. A complex one, that's for sure.

sublime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It could be that fibrosis, TNF-Alpha, TGF Beta, Inflammation, etc. While information they provide is interesting to read I feel it over simplifies everything and treats hair loss as a condition. Post after post continue's to be prepared and distrubuted to reinforce the "DHT Theory" to prove that it alone causes a person to lose the hair only on the top of a persons head.

Native americans with hair loss, I would be interested to see that and have that myth displaced.