Arachidonic Acid

DammitLetMeIn

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What do you guys know about this?

Kobren mentions in his book that based on keeping insulin in a tight zone not too high , not too low. By doing so, one is able to control the body's production of an essential fatty acid called arachidonic acid. By controlling the levels of archidonic acid the production of testosterone is also controlled.

The Gardener

Reaction score
I do not doubt this... there are lots of very controllable human behaviours that can affect testosterone levels.

The problem is that testosterone levels do not correlate to DHT levels.

There are men who have testosterone through the roof... but if they take finasteride or dutasteride, or otherwise have low levels of certain enzymes, their DHT remains low.

Testosterone does not cause hairloss... it is the comparative availabilty of the enzyme that converts testosterone to DHT, combined with the relative genetic sensitivity of hair follicles to DHT, that causes male pattern baldness.

DammitLetMeIn

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The Gardener said:
I do not doubt this... there are lots of very controllable human behaviours that can affect testosterone levels.

The problem is that testosterone levels do not correlate to DHT levels.

There are men who have testosterone through the roof... but if they take finasteride or dutasteride, or otherwise have low levels of certain enzymes, their DHT remains low.

Testosterone does not cause hairloss... it is the comparative availabilty of the enzyme that converts testosterone to DHT, combined with the relative genetic sensitivity of hair follicles to DHT, that causes male pattern baldness.

so what is the difference in people who are not genetically susceptible?

they have low levels of the enzyme alpha reductase, right?

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Nope, thats not it. With the exeption of some people somewhere(dont really remember where) who had no 5ar2, most everyday people, have the same levels of 5ar1 and 2, and about the same levels of testosterone and DHT through their blood. But, some of them go bald and some of them dont.

DammitLetMeIn

Experienced Member
Reaction score
sphlanx2006 said:

Nope, thats not it. With the exeption of some people somewhere(dont really remember where) who had no 5ar2, most everyday people, have the same levels of 5ar1 and 2, and about the same levels of testosterone and DHT through their blood. But, some of them go bald and some of them dont.

Then how do you explain the Japs/Africans going bald when they come to America.

I think it is an excess/change in alpha reductase levels which kickstarts baldness

And how come the only medications that ACTUALLY WORK are centred upon lowering DHT??

DammitLetMeIn

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Strange Days said:
DammitLetMeIn said:
sphlanx2006 said:

And how come the only medications that ACTUALLY WORK are centred upon lowering DHT??

Minoxidil doesn't lower DHT, neither does cyclosporine.

Minoxidil acts like NO as far as I'm aware to open the blood vessels which have been constricted due to the build up of DHT. doesn't it?

its the inflammation that comes along with the unnatural level of DHT which causes an additional problem. isn't that right?

is it not fair to say that Finisteride, on average, works better than minoxidil?

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Minoxidil acts like NO as far as I'm aware to open the blood vessels which have been constricted due to the build up of DHT. doesn't it?

No, minoxidil mechanism of work is not that simple. In fact, it is not completely understood by scientists yet. Michael Barry, a frequent science poster here, posted a study on some late info on minoxidil, proving it is much more complicated than we think.

Then how do you explain the Japs/Africans going bald when they come to America.

You know that this is not true right? First of all i am not aware of any serious (actually i am not aware even of non-serious) statistical evidence, proving that japs/africans were not suffering from baldness at their home regions, but go bald at america. Other than that, in the few documentaries i have watched, regarding the way of life in Japan, various african tribes, mongols etc, i have seen as much bald people as anywhere else.

I think you missed the line between DHT and genetics. In my mind, i would say that DHT is the fuel for the hair loss machine, but alone it is not enough. Almost everyone has DHT, but there are few, who have the right genetics, so DHT can kill their hair.

DammitLetMeIn

Experienced Member
Reaction score
sphlanx2006 said:

No, minoxidil mechanism of work is not that simple. In fact, it is not completely understood by scientists yet. Michael Barry, a frequent science poster here, posted a study on some late info on minoxidil, proving it is much more complicated than we think.

[quote:edee4]Then how do you explain the Japs/Africans going bald when they come to America.

You know that this is not true right? First of all i am not aware of any serious (actually i am not aware even of non-serious) statistical evidence, proving that japs/africans were not suffering from baldness at their home regions, but go bald at america. Other than that, in the few documentaries i have watched, regarding the way of life in Japan, various african tribes, mongols etc, i have seen as much bald people as anywhere else.

I think you missed the line between DHT and genetics. In my mind, i would say that DHT is the fuel for the hair loss machine, but alone it is not enough. Almost everyone has DHT, but there are few, who have the right genetics, so DHT can kill their hair.[/quote:edee4]

What you mean its not true? It sounds like you don't want it to be true.

There are studies to show that Jap men in urban areas who have adopted a western diet have more hairloss than those in rural areas.

Moreover, 2nd generation Japs in the US are much taller and suffer more hairloss and this is down to their diet.

Look man, you can go on believing that men go bald for nothing and that their testosterone/DHT takes on a life of its own for no particular reason.

I DON'T BUY IT. We have caused it by something we're doing and its more than likely down to diet like every other malady which goes wrong with the human body including cancer and many more.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Then explain why Dr Weil is bald.
story.weil.jpg

Or this fine fellow.
orangutandy4.jpg

DammitLetMeIn

Experienced Member
Reaction score
lol, u love the chimp. I'm gonna ignore the chimp cos he's a different species.

but, gimme a min on Dr Weil. appreciate the qu. tho.

Edit: he appears to have done a lot of drugs in his time.

michael barry

Reaction score
apes and humans share over 95% of the same genes. Thats why we test so many medicines on them to predict how well they will do in us (like minoxidil, finas, and latanaprost))

Dr. Weil has a great beard doesn't he? If I had a beard like that, I'd smoke a pipe and stroke my beard like the kung fu master in "KILL BILL VOL. 2".

JayB

Experienced Member
Reaction score
DammitLetMeIn said:
lol, u love the chimp. I'm gonna ignore the chimp cos he's a different species.

but, gimme a min on Dr Weil. appreciate the qu. tho.

Edit: he appears to have done a lot of drugs in his time.
lol ...so did these guys:
mick.jagger.jpg

perry.jpg

Robert-Downey-Jr-Marries-Movie-Producer-2.jpg

brown.jpg

i can go on and on...dude just be a man and admit that your grasping at straws here...your argument is full of loopholes..Stop being a girl and just flat out admit you're argument isnt solid but you want to try the diet anyways. people would respect you more.

DammitLetMeIn

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The Gardener said:
WE share 98% of the same DNA that the chimp does.

the Dalai Lama
08-14-dalai-lama.jpg

still his body is kinda hairy which suggests sumdin different hair wise. I'd rather focus on Dr.Weil

JayB said:
i can go on and on...dude just be a man and admit that your grasping at straws here...your argument is full of loopholes..Stop being a girl and just flat out admit you're argument isnt solid but you want to try the diet anyways. people would respect you more.

those guys you pictured are obviously not genetically suscpetible.

WEil's diet is 40% fat. which fats does he recommend and does he cook them?

JayB

Experienced Member
Reaction score
DammitLetMeIn said:
The Gardener said:
DammitLetMeIn said:
I'd rather focus on Dr.Weil
Should I post a bigger picture of his bald head?

:lol:

lolz, nah, what fats does he eat? his diet is 40% fat

plus, he is a fat dude himself, which points to high insulin
The once worlds heaviest man:
robby.jpg

Nice head of hair eh? There goes another flaw in your endless argument.

DammitLetMeIn

Experienced Member
Reaction score
JayB said:
DammitLetMeIn said:
The Gardener said:
DammitLetMeIn said:

robby.jpg

dude, you haven't grasped the fact we're focusing on genetically susceptible individuals not people who aren't androgen sensitive.

JayB

Experienced Member
Reaction score
DammitLetMeIn said:
JayB said:
DammitLetMeIn said:
The Gardener said:
DammitLetMeIn said:

robby.jpg

dude, you haven't grasped the fact we're focusing on genetically susceptible individuals not people who aren't androgen sensitive.
But you havent grasped the fact that according to your posts, a high fat diet takes precedence over genetic insusceptibility.