(artistical) I've Decided To Take You Up On Your Offer.

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
you're taking awhile.

if you don't really want to say what you think you could just say you want to withhold judgment.

Joan

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I had to log out. I can't devote enough time to read your lyrics at the moment. Do you really want to do this publicly, though?

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
You're a musician too?

yup, I've played piano, drums and guitar from a young age. I record my own stuff now and mix, sing and play the viola as well. :)

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Good point.

But I will say that when I used her name it should be pretty obvious I wasn't trying to be malicious or anything like that.

What would be ok would be a public thread "Happy birthday Joan !!!" that would be fine.

What you did here is place a public request on her time.

Last edited:

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
What would be ok would be a public thread "Happy birthday Joan !!!" that would be fine.

OK it would probably be best not to use someone's name in the subject line but anyone can see that I did not mean any malice. I really think you're making a bigger deal of this than is justified given that what I said was obviously not intended to be harmful.

OK now that you raise the issue you might have a point that I shouldn't have put her name in the subject line but it's still obvious that my intent was totally harmless.

Last edited:

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
And David let's keep in mind that when I (as you say) made a "public request on her time" I did so in response
to her earlier PUBLIC offer to do exactly that. Joan herself has PUBLICLY talked to me about this stuff in the past, which means she already expressed that it was OK for me to make a public request of her time.

Also, this thread is a continuation of a conversation already taking place between Joan and I for a few months now so I'm just continuing a public conversation that was already public so to me I was just publicly continuing a public conversation.

You're making it sound a lot more dramatic than it is. And to be totally honest about it, one of the reasons I did it publicly was because I was unsure if it was still OK with Joan for me to send her a bunch of text material. I wanted to be sure before I did it.

I also thought that Joan was the one I could accomplish the most with because she previously tried to give me her phone number but I declined. I figured if I had someone on the phone we could both be on our separate computers and we could discuss what she thought of different lines/words in the lyrics. It would have been a lot quicker and easier to do than to try to do this by emails/PMs.

Do you really see some kind of malicious intent in what I did?

Last edited:

nameless

Banned
Reaction score

What if a poster says "Happy Anniversary Joan" on her anniversary?

My point is that since you're OK with us using names in the subject lines in some cases could you please
list ALL of the instances where it's OK with you to use names in the subject line?

And I'm sincerely not being sarcastic...I'm just trying to demonstrate to you how impractical
your position is.

I honestly think that the better way to do this is to say that posters should not say malicious
stuff to other posters in the subject lines. I think that's a better idea than to use your standard
of not using a person's name in the subject except in some situations, when you yourself can
not really fully and clearly define the situations wherein one should be able to use the person's
name. The real point is that people should not say malicious stuff to each other.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
What if a poster says "Happy Anniversary Joan" on her anniversary?

My point is that since you're OK with us using names in the subject lines in some cases could you please
list ALL of the instances where it's OK with you to use names in the subject line?

And I'm sincerely not being sarcastic...I'm just trying to demonstrate to you how impractical
your position is.

I honestly think that the better way to do this is to say that posters should not say malicious
stuff to other posters in the subject lines. I think that's a better idea than to use your standard
of not using a person's name in the subject except in some situations, when you yourself can
not really fully and clearly define the situations wherein one should be able to use the person's
name. The real point is that people should not say malicious stuff to each other.

My position is correct, several people agreed with it and none agreed with yours.

On other forums, it is against forum rules to post a username in the topic header. If it is not against the rules here it may simply be because it's never come up before. I wonder what @Wolf Pack thinks about this. Note that this is a standard rule across the internet, so it's agreed by a lot of people, it's not "impractical".

The primary problem with what you did here is that you're making a public request on Joan's time. She may or may not be willing to give it you. That's her business. But you're putting her on the spot in front of everybody. It sets a precedent. Other people may think they're entitled to Joan's time as well now.

Reviewing your lyrics is not a five minute job. I don't know what Joan's thoughts on music are. It may be that she doesn't want to do it, or that she wants to set aside a block of several hours to do it. That's why you should ask privately.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Whoah dude, I only play the guitar and zither. You're awesome! :D

Dude, YOU are awesome for playing the Zither!! Are you good? Kinda similar I suppose, I am saving up some change to buy a decent little harp and soon enough a CELLO!!

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
My position is correct, several people agreed with it and none agreed with yours.

On other forums, it is against forum rules to post a username in the topic header. If it is not against the rules here it may simply be because it's never come up before. I wonder what @Wolf Pack thinks about this. Note that this is a standard rule across the internet, so it's agreed by a lot of people, it's not "impractical".

The primary problem with what you did here is that you're making a public request on Joan's time. She may or may not be willing to give it you. That's her business. But you're putting her on the spot in front of everybody. It sets a precedent. Other people may think they're entitled to Joan's time as well now.

Reviewing your lyrics is not a five minute job. I don't know what Joan's thoughts on music are. It may be that she doesn't want to do it, or that she wants to set aside a block of several hours to do it. That's why you should ask privately.

Joan did already PUBLICLY say she would do this so I don't get your point that I did something to her in public. It's part of an ongoing public discussion between Joan and I. You make it sound like I just brought this issue to Joan for the first time today and sprung it on her out of the clear blue.

And as far as people agreeing with you goes, a long long time ago everyone in the world agreed that the world was flat. So what? People like to take the negative and you ARE being negative towards me. You're making it sound like I've done something wrong in carrying on the same public conversation with the same person who has already been carrying on this public conversation with me IN PUBLIC.

I think you're making a big deal of something that isn't really a big deal. It might be a small mistake but it certainly isn't the crime against humanity that you are trying to make it out to be.

Now that I think about it, it would have been better for all concerned to keep this private in a PM but at the time I posted I didn't think so because she and I had already been discussing this out in public. This explanation by me should end this dispute because I have a valid point.

And I think it's kind of odd that you're making a huge deal of me continuing a discussion in public when this particular discussion has always been in public until today. I feel like you're being overly protective of Joan, perhaps because she's female. You know, she IS married, right?

Last edited:

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
This is a dumb thread. I don't need to read OPs lyrics to know they suck and it's just a delusional egomaniac manchild who things they are amazing at something they have no experience with. There's about a 0.0001% chance it's worth anyone's time.

Am I harsh? Perhaps. But past experiences haven't failed me yet and I see OP as just overly needy and looking for attention; its all very unnecessary...

Aren't you contradicting yourself? On the one hand you say I'm doing
all of this lyric stuff to get attention from posters here, which would imply
that I secretly know I'm a lousy lyricist. BUT on the other hand you say
I'm a manchild who believes I'm a great lyricist even though I'm not.

You can't have it both ways.

Either I'm a manchild who thinks I'm good at something even though I'm
not or I really know I'm lousy but I say I'm good because I want attention.
I can't be both.

And I don't care if you're harsh because your harshness tells me that
you have hurtful feelings inside of you and it makes me happy to think
about you having hurtful feelings inside of you.

Last edited:

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am going to move this thread to "off topic" and delete Joan's name from that title.
@nameless, we all love arts, and your lyrics will be good for sure.
But please respect the forum rules, which you know very well.

blackg

Reaction score
Dog cat horse hat group
summer fall winter easter
eat snow drive walk run
stay go leave run walk

If this is a verse from one of your songs, then it needs a bit of work.