Ashking's Story - (22/Got New Receding Hairline-What To Do?)

ashking

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm 22 years old and have a Receding hairline. I saw a doctor about it today and they want to put me straight on propica but im not sure about it, how bad is it? any other treatments i should use first? my dad went bald early and i really dont want to!!

please help

please look at pictures

Thanks

Ash

Attachments

• DSC00137.JPG
    DSC00137.JPG
    660.2 KB · Views: 258
  • DSC00138.JPG
    DSC00138.JPG
    632.8 KB · Views: 246
  • DSC00139.JPG
    DSC00139.JPG
    627.3 KB · Views: 264

ashking

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply

i was kinda hoping to aviod that for the moment and try using creams foams and shampoos...or is that not an option?...just worried about site affects

thanks
ash

ThinFineCurly

Reaction score
You hairline is receded, but it isn't bad and doesn't warrant messing with your hormones, yet. Yeah, Propecia would help halt or slow down future hair loss, but there are some side effects that aren't nice. I would just get some Rogaine Foam or generic minoxidil and use that now. It will help prevent more hair loss. There's a slight chance it may re-grow hair too. If your hair loss gets worse and your vertex starts thinning out, then you might want to consider Propecia.

Doctors are paid to push drugs and sometimes they are ignorant, so just because they say that you need to get on a certain drug, doesn't it make it so. Propecia isn't cheap either. There are generic versions available online that are much cheaper, but then you risk not getting legit stuff. Doctors also want you to come back and pay them more for another prescription. If they didn't mention Rogaine at all, I would be suspect.

ThinFineCurly

Reaction score
Re: In Need Of Help - Got New Receding Hairline - What To Do??

finfighter said:
If you do not want to follow in your fathers footsteps than you must treat the cause of balding which is DHT. Finasteride (Propecia) is the only FDA approved hairloss treatment that suppresses DHT, if you do not suppress DHT your hairloss will continue. It's that simple, good luck!

Rogaine(minoxidil) is FDA approved to stop or slow hair loss and also regrow it. It doesn't block DHT though. It has less and less serious side effects.

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
use foam on hairline. don't freak during the shed. add propecia when it gets worse (when you start noticing crown loss).

ashking

Reaction score
thanks for the reply matey

yeah i felt like all she was doing was try to sell me the drug mentioning all the prices all the time and i didnt feel she knew alot about hairloss....ive just ordered some nizoral 2%...will looking into the foam..i do lift alot of weights and take quite a few supplemtns i also do cardio...not sure if this makes any difference....couple of years ago i burnt my hair really badly 2 weeks in the sun with wet hair became and after i got home it became very dry and it shedded quite badly maybe thats another reason...im always looking for reason that rule of male pattern baldness...ah well.. :)

ashking

Reaction score
what foam should i use? can i still use the nizoral 2%....i seem to be receding worse on one side that the other is this normal?

thanks

ash

ashking

Reaction score
also thinking of Revivogen ? :)

ashking

Reaction score
its nice to hear some positive comments about it, makes me feel more confident for when i have to take it mate. hows it working for you?

Jack82

Established Member
Reaction score
finfighter is right. The best option is to give finasteride a shot first, before messing with topicals and all this hassle. It doesn't have permanent sides, so if you experience any you can simply quit and in a week or two everything will be ok.

You still have good thick hair, but a little recession, a "mature" hairline. I think finasteride is all you need for now.

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Ashking, I am 21 and started to get a receding hairline much like yours, and my doctor offered to put me on propecia. I used it for 5 months and developed some pretty nasty side effects. Mine went away but there are many claims that some of the side-effects are permanent. I am not saying that they are all true, but it is something to take into account. I believe that propecia can be a great drug, but altering your hormones can be very dangerous, and the long-term effects aren't well-established. You should research. Knowing what I know now, I would wait and see if you respond to other treatments.

My Point is.. there are Topical DHT inhibitors that don't have systematic effects. Just because they aren't FDA approved, doesn't mean they don't work. I have been using the xandrox solutions, topical spironolactone, and nizoral for the past 8 months with great results. Revivogen is another great dht-inhibitor that many have had great success with.

You're in a really good spot right now because you still have all of your hair (just about). It shouldn't be too hard to keep it that way, but i would recommend getting on some sort of dht-inhibitor soon.

Best of luck!

ashking

Reaction score
timbo said:
Ashking, I am 21 and started to get a receding hairline much like yours, and my doctor offered to put me on propecia. I used it for 5 months and developed some pretty nasty side effects. Mine went away but there are many claims that some of the side-effects are permanent. I am not saying that they are all true, but it is something to take into account. I believe that propecia can be a great drug, but altering your hormones can be very dangerous, and the long-term effects aren't well-established. You should research. Knowing what I know now, I would wait and see if you respond to other treatments.

My Point is.. there are Topical DHT inhibitors that don't have systematic effects. Just because they aren't FDA approved, doesn't mean they don't work. I have been using the xandrox solutions, topical spironolactone, and nizoral for the past 8 months with great results. Revivogen is another great dht-inhibitor that many have had great success with.

You're in a really good spot right now because you still have all of your hair (just about). It shouldn't be too hard to keep it that way, but i would recommend getting on some sort of dht-inhibitor soon.

Best of luck!

Hi mate

thanks for the reply

so are you still taking pro? how bad are the sides? ive herd that it can stop working after 7 years or so.....what dht inhibitor should i try?

thanks

ash

ashking

Reaction score
Jack82 said:
finfighter is right. The best option is to give finasteride a shot first, before messing with topicals and all this hassle. It doesn't have permanent sides, so if you experience any you can simply quit and in a week or two everything will be ok.

You still have good thick hair, but a little recession, a "mature" hairline. I think finasteride is all you need for now.

thanks for the reply mate

so you think i should get on it now? suppose taking a pill for the rest of my life or badlness in 10 years or whever ......i know what i should choose, no chance of keeping what i have without using pills tho?

thanks

ash

ashking

Reaction score
finfighter said:
It works great at stopping hairloss, it helps thicken the hair a little, but mainly it is for hairloss prevention. It is best to use Minoxidil and Finasteride together because Minoxidil helps increase circulation to the scalp, which helps with hair growth, while Finasteride helps stop hairloss.

I used to notice tons of hair on my pillow and in the shower drain, but now I usually don't notice any hairloss.

to be honest mate i dont notice any hairloss just my hairline which as always been high....just looking for ways around this mate....

thanks

ash

ThinFineCurly

Reaction score
Propecia would work better to prevent future hair loss; that is true. It is generally pretty safe for "most" people. However, taking a pill that lowers DHT in your whole body is not the best thing to do with very minor hair loss. DHT affects a lot of things throughout your body. Propecia will also increase testosterone and your body may up the estrogen, in response. Most people get some minor side effects, like ball ache, loss of libido, watery semen. Rarely some people grow breasts. Ball ache can be annoying, but often goes away. Loss of libido would not be nice. Growing breasts, though rare, would not be nice either. So, I wouldn't touch Propecia until you see more receding and/or thinning on the top of your head(vertex). You don't even need the 2% Nizoral. The 1% is fine, used twice a week. Get some Rogaine Foam and rub it into your hairline. Rogaine halts hair loss in most people and regrows hair in a lot of people too(though those stats are for the vertex area). Exercise and supplements will do nothing to affect your hairloss. It's a genetic thing caused by the hormone DHT and follicles sensitive to DHT in people with the hairloss gene(s). Get on Nizoral and Rogaine and you will probably be fine for awhile. If it gets worse and your hairline starts receding more and your vertex starts thinning, then consider Propecia. Some people with hair loss won't even consider Propecia, because it changes your hormones. Your hair loss is extremely minor. It's normal for a lot of men to get somewhat of a receding hairline.

You might be fine doing nothing at the moment and you might not lose any more hair for many years. If you have a lot of blood relatives with early thinning hair or baldness, then you probably want to get on Rogaine. If you have no family history of male pattern baldness, then you might want to just wait and do nothing. Rogaine won't hurt you as far as side effects. It might irritate your scalp a bit, but that's it. Also, one you start either Rogaine or Propecia, it's a lifetime commitment. If Rogaine stops hair loss or regrows hair, the Rogaine dependent hairs will fall out of you stop using it. Same thing with Propecia. If you stop it, the DHT will increase and make you lose hair it prevented from falling out or regrew.

ashking

Reaction score
ThinFineCurly said:
Propecia would work better to prevent future hair loss; that is true. It is generally pretty safe for "most" people. However, taking a pill that lowers DHT in your whole body is not the best thing to do with very minor hair loss. DHT affects a lot of things throughout your body. Propecia will also increase testosterone and your body may up the estrogen, in response. Most people get some minor side effects, like ball ache, loss of libido, watery semen. Rarely some people grow breasts. Ball ache can be annoying, but often goes away. Loss of libido would not be nice. Growing breasts, though rare, would not be nice either. So, I wouldn't touch Propecia until you see more receding and/or thinning on the top of your head(vertex). You don't even need the 2% Nizoral. The 1% is fine, used twice a week. Get some Rogaine Foam and rub it into your hairline. Rogaine halts hair loss in most people and regrows hair in a lot of people too(though those stats are for the vertex area). Exercise and supplements will do nothing to affect your hairloss. It's a genetic thing caused by the hormone DHT and follicles sensitive to DHT in people with the hairloss gene(s). Get on Nizoral and Rogaine and you will probably be fine for awhile. If it gets worse and your hairline starts receding more and your vertex starts thinning, then consider Propecia. Some people with hair loss won't even consider Propecia, because it changes your hormones. Your hair loss is extremely minor. It's normal for a lot of men to get somewhat of a receding hairline.

You might be fine doing nothing at the moment and you might not lose any more hair for many years. If you have a lot of blood relatives with early thinning hair or baldness, then you probably want to get on Rogaine. If you have no family history of male pattern baldness, then you might want to just wait and do nothing. Rogaine won't hurt you as far as side effects. It might irritate your scalp a bit, but that's it. Also, one you start either Rogaine or Propecia, it's a lifetime commitment. If Rogaine stops hair loss or regrows hair, the Rogaine dependent hairs will fall out of you stop using it. Same thing with Propecia. If you stop it, the DHT will increase and make you lose hair it prevented from falling out or regrew.

wow that was a great post really what i was looking for, really helpful man so thanks to you mate-e. As far as blood relatives with early hairloss is concerned my bad was completely bald at 30-35 looking at pictures but my mums grandad still has hair and so do both of my uncles one has thinned quite abit tho....when it comes to Rogaine would this be twice daily? and ive herd its rather expensive? like £25 a month or somthing?

thanks

ash

ThinFineCurly

Reaction score
ashking said:
ThinFineCurly said:

wow that was a great post really what i was looking for, really helpful man so thanks to you mate-e. As far as blood relatives with early hairloss is concerned my bad was completely bald at 30-35 looking at pictures but my mums grandad still has hair and so do both of my uncles one has thinned quite abit tho....when it comes to Rogaine would this be twice daily? and ive herd its rather expensive? like £25 a month or somthing?

thanks

ash
Well if your dad was bald by 35, then I would get on Rogaine now and if it gets worse, then consider Propecia. I have some relatives that have receding hairlines and thinning hair, but none of them are completely bald. I also have some relatives that are pretty old and have all their hair. I had a receded hairline like yours at your age. It very gradually got worse and now I'm 32 and I still have a lot of hair left, but my vertex is thinning(I can hide it though cuz I have a lot of hair), so I'm on generic Propecia and Rogaine Foam(Kirkland generic minoxidil at night to save money). This is a genetic disease, so your relatives will give you an idea of how bad it might get.

Yeah, twice a day. There's generic brand of minoxidil(Rogaine) called Kirkland that is dirt cheap via amazon.com. The foam is more expensive, but won't irritate your scalp as much, won't mess up your hair as much and delivers minoxidil to the follicles more efficiently. It is sorta like mousse. If you get the foam, you probably want to cool the can and your fingers in cold water before using it, because the foam melts easily and fast. If you get the generic liquid, it is greasy, so it might kind of mess up your hair. It flows all over too, but it's probably gets to your scalp better than foam with long hair. The liquid kind can really irritate your scalp. Get some cheap generic dandruff shampoo and that will help with the itch. Nizoral will help too. Use Nizoral twice a week and the generic anti dandruff shampoo(if you have itching problems) on the days you don't use Nizoral. Nizoral AD 1% is good enough, though 2% is probably better, but I don't think it's necessary.

If you decide to get on Propecia(finasteride) eventually and don't want to pay a lot of money for the brand name stuff, you can get cheap generic version online. Inhouse Pharmacy is used by a lot of people on here and I recently got some generic finasteride from there and I'm getting ball ache, so I'm pretty sure it's legit. It's a lot cheaper.

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Ashking, did your doctor determine that you have hair loss? After looking at your uploaded photos again, it is hard for me to believe that you are losing your hair, or whether it is anything you should worry about at this point. The reason being that you don't seem to have any miniaturization along the hair-line. It may be a good idea to make an appointment with a dermatologist and find out for sure, before investing your time and money into treatments.

ashking

Reaction score
timbo said:
Ashking, did your doctor determine that you have hair loss? After looking at your uploaded photos again, it is hard for me to believe that you are losing your hair, or whether it is anything you should worry about at this point. The reason being that you don't seem to have any miniaturization along the hair-line. It may be a good idea to make an appointment with a dermatologist and find out for sure, before investing your time and money into treatments.

Is it not like yours was then?...yeah he did but all i did was hold my hair back he didnt really look he said yeah looks like it goes into a V shape...

Jack82

Established Member
Reaction score
I think that the doctor that saw you in person can give you a much better and responsible opinion than some forum users (including myself). I see that somehow you drop his diagnosis, and keep some comments that are telling you what you probably want to hear...