Ashking's Story - (22/Got New Receding Hairline-What To Do?)

ashking

Reaction score
Jack82 said:
I think that the doctor that saw you in person can give you a much better and responsible opinion than some forum users (including myself). I see that somehow you drop his diagnosis, and keep some comments that are telling you what you probably want to hear...

I see what you mean but thats all the doctor said to me and i should ask my dad when he went bald....so then i went to "boots" a british pharmacy where they offer a program which is £90 every 12 weeks for propicia and she was willing to give me but again she didnt properly look at my hair and felt all she was concered about was getting the sale...but i do feel like im looisng and have ordered some products anyway....and feel the pictures i have put up are very clear and are more than what either docs have seen...my mates have said ive got a receeding hair line and i think i do as well...just want to know what everyone else thinks...

ashking

Reaction score
ThinFineCurly said:
It looks like a mildly receded hairline, like when my hair loss started.

okay, what meds did you take when yours first started?

ashking

Reaction score
finfighter said:
Thats how my hairline looked around age 18, when I first noticed hairloss, man do I wish I would have started taking Finasteride back then, my hair would be in a lot better shape!

when did u start taking it? have u got any sides?

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
My advice would be to hold off on any treratments until it gets a little worse. (assuming that it does). Check the mirror everyday and buy a bottle of propecia so you have it ready just in case.

Jack82

Established Member
Reaction score
timbo said:
My advice would be to hold off on any treratments until it gets a little worse. (assuming that it does). Check the mirror everyday and buy a bottle of propecia so you have it ready just in case.

crap advise, you are telling him to become paranoid and more confused than he already is, and also risk to more hairloss!

Ashking, you might think that the doctor didn't really paid any attention to your situation but he has seen thousands of male pattern baldness cases. He can recognise a receeding hairline, or herpes, or acne with just a glance. Propecia and minoxidil is all that we can do about hairloss, minoxidil just regrows more hair than the hairs that are falling for a while, and if your male pattern baldness is not very aggressive it might look good for a couple of years. It happened to me too. Then it starts to decline. But until the day that you wil hit baseline again, there will be made more damage to spots that are not yet miniaturizing.

When you have decent hair (and you still have) you get on finasteride and continue living your life without messing with applications, inflammation etc that will affect your lifestyle at your 22yrs! At least try it. If it doesn't work or gives you side effects just stop. Its no big deal...

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Thats really funny... finasteride caused erectile dysfunction in me and thousands of other patients along w/ other side effects... Talk about effecting his lifestyle... I am just saying, if I was in his situation, I would hold off. It's MY OPINION, take it for what it's worth. There's no point in using hormone altering drugs unless he needs them.

ThinFineCurly

Reaction score
Rogaine stops hair loss too and has less sides. Of course it will only stop hair loss where you apply it. Propecia is better at preventing hair loss all over your scalp, but the sides can suck, so it's a good idea to wait till your hair loss gets more severe.

ashking

Reaction score
cheers for all your posts and opinions, got abit heated for a min there....i can see all off your points...suppose its up to me now.. i will prob end up trying finasteride hope i just react well too it!...anyone tryed Saw Plametto orBeta Sitosterol?

ashking

Reaction score
anyone?

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hi, i'll just add that i've been on finasteride 2 years and never had any side effects whatsoever and it has completely stopped my hair loss (for now). i added foam too on the hairline, and despite what people say about "hassle" it takes me about 20-30 seconds each night before i go to bed, so not much of a hassle for me.

finfighter, i dig your message and trying to help people with their decision on finasteride, but sometimes you are a bit too aggressive in your "pro finasteride" posts. i am a huge supporter of finasteride and have always encouraged anyone with male pattern baldness to at least try (get blood work done first if you're that concerned) but i also recognize that for SOME people it does have sides, and I wish Merck would acknowledge these people and help them instead of sweep them under the carpet.

my 2 cents!

ThinFineCurly

Reaction score
finfighter said:
ThinFineCurly said:
so it's a good idea to wait till your hair loss gets more severe.

A good idea to wait... REALLY? That is just absurd, once your hair follicles are gone there's no getting them back! It's a lot easier to prevent hairloss than to regaine lost hair, prevention is the best treatment, the earlier you treat your hairloss the longer you will have your hair.

I said it's a good idea to wait on finasteride. Rogaine is a hair loss treatment too. It stops hair loss and regrows hair without messing with your hormones. I advised him to try that first.

I wonder if some people are just on here to promote sales of Propecia/finasteride. There are 2 drugs that are FDA approved to stop/slow hair loss, not 1. Rogaine and the generic minoxidil are a lot safer and cheaper. Rogaine regrows hair in 85% of men and prevents hair loss in most everyone.

Rogaine should be tried first when hair loss is minor.

Jack82

Established Member
Reaction score
ThinFineCurly said:
finfighter said:
ThinFineCurly said:
so it's a good idea to wait till your hair loss gets more severe.

A good idea to wait... REALLY? That is just absurd, once your hair follicles are gone there's no getting them back! It's a lot easier to prevent hairloss than to regaine lost hair, prevention is the best treatment, the earlier you treat your hairloss the longer you will have your hair.

I said it's a good idea to wait on finasteride. Rogaine is a hair loss treatment too. It stops hair loss and regrows hair without messing with your hormones. I advised him to try that first.

I wonder if some people are just on here to promote sales of Propecia/finasteride. There are 2 drugs that are FDA approved to stop/slow hair loss, not 1. Rogaine and the generic minoxidil are a lot safer and cheaper. Rogaine regrows hair in 85% of men and prevents hair loss in most everyone.

Rogaine should be tried first when hair loss is minor.

Bold statements from someone that treats hairloss for 2-3 months...

ThinFineCurly

Reaction score
Jack82 said:
ThinFineCurly said:
finfighter said:
Bold statements from someone that treats hairloss for 2-3 months...

More like on and off for 13 years! I tried Propecia and Rogaine 10 years ago along with a lot of other crap that was not FDA approved for hair loss. I'm still a Norwood 2 and my vertex has only recently developed barely visible thinning spots and a "little" thinning in front. It's been gradually thinning for years. I was off all treatments for 8 years, till recently, and have just had some very gradual thinning. Been reading/posting on hair loss forums for 13 years too, on and off. If they had Rogaine Foam 8 years ago, I would have started it then. I don't like the greasy liquid that was only available then, it messes up my hair and irritates my scalp. I just quit Propecia because it was expensive and I wanted re-growth and my hair loss was minor. Using Rogaine alone for 8 years likely would have prevented my relatively mild thinning.

Nene

Reaction score
I agree with what a few other people have said and would just use some rogaine for now. From the looks of it, you have a receded hairline but maybe it will stop there. If the hair loss gets worse and it becomes apparent that you will go bald, then I would consider giving finasteride a try. I take finasteride now and have had only minor bearable side effects, but I wouldn't rush into it.

ashking

Reaction score
cool thanks for your reply...i was thinking of taking some natural supplements like Beta Sitosterol & Saw Palmetto maybe first?

ryan r

Established Member
Reaction score
Use minoxidil.

That will PROBABLY help.

If not, go on finasteride. No-brainer!

You can even ad finasteride later if minoxidil does help.

I use finasteride and spectral (which contains minoxidil among other stuff).

finasteride has maintained what i had after a shedding and minoxidil improved my hairline.

Good luck pal

ashking

Reaction score
ryan r said:
Use minoxidil.

That will PROBABLY help.

If not, go on finasteride. No-brainer!

You can even ad finasteride later if minoxidil does help.

I use finasteride and spectral (which contains minoxidil among other stuff).

finasteride has maintained what i had after a shedding and minoxidil improved my hairline.

Good luck pal

okay mate i will try minoxidil

Loolapalooza

Reaction score
Ash I was looking at your pictures ...it seems exactly like my hair it is right now!
To me it gives me the impression that my hairline is shaping in a V.
The dermo also looked very bad to my hair, she didn´t seemed to care. She told me I was getting bald, but she also told me I could stay like this for years ... Mybe at 40 I could still be like this .. Maybe at 30 already bald ..

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

She imeddiately got me on finasteride, wouldn´t even consider minoxidil, but as I was informed, I told her if I could go on minoxidil first ... She told me it would only work for a couple years, finasteride was much better.

After a couple of weeks of undecision, I decided Nizoral+ minoxidil first, and when things get bad I´ll do finasteride.

I´m also considering a DHT supressor like spironoctale but I don´t know if it works ..

So what´s your decision?

cheers