badasshairday's Story

G

im 18, going to turn 19 in april. i noticed thinning about 3 months ago in december. I went through all that denial sh*t then finally decided to see a doctor abuot it. I have male pattern baldness, and i got a precription to propecia. I am just about to finish my first month of it. I cant wait to enjoy the old days of having bad hair days with really thick hair. :hairy:

G

im pissed, cuz my temples are shedding too. man, i dont know if i should add minoxidil, or just see if propecia will do anything for my temples. I just want to keep them where they are right now. I've had a mature hairline for several years now. But anymore loss in the temples can be devastating. Im just about to hit the one month mark on propecia. My hair has been shedding before i started propecia and it still is shedding. im freakin pissed off. my scalp is all tender and sh*t, its annoying. and yes i do use t-gel which was used in the study for propecia.

G

:D , good news, that shedding around the temples has pretty much stopped, i guess those hairs i lost were gonna go anyways, so i guess the finasteride is working now. also i am starting on my second month and i know its early, but i am noticing a lil less hair loss. less in the shower and less while i am styling. its just a lil, but its somthing. :freaked:

G

ok i seem to be going through ups and downs with this hairloss crap. It is way too early for good results and this and that. So i am not going to update again until the 3 month mark. I am approaching the 1.5 month mark. :freaked:

G

Getting a haircut tomorrow and starting minoxidil application once a night tonight. Only applying minoxidil to the temples.

G

so i've been wearing a hat pretty much all month. Today i went to work and decided not to wear my hat. It was awesome. Some of my coworkers commented on my haircut. "thats a nice looking haircut." THey told me it looks good that way :lol: . Really boosted my confidence. Lately i haven't been thinking too much about hairloss anyways. It feels good not to worry about it 24/7. :freaked:

zroca

Reaction score
Hey badasshairday,
Have your temples filled in anymore since you started your treatments?
Thanks
Zroca

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
badasshairday,

It's going to take some time before your hair is noticeably coming back. The trick is to stick it out for a year before you will really see any results. There's gonna be some ups and downs but just stick with it.

I don't want to crush your hopes but unless you have some kind of miracle you will never have "really thick hair again". I think it's important that you know and try to accept it as soon as possible. It's tough man, I know....It took me a long time to accept it, but as time passes it gets easier.

BHD

G

thanks for the advice. But i do beleive i can get nearly complete regrowth due to the fact that i have just started losing it. I caught my male pattern baldness and started treating it when i started my first shed. I still have a full head of hair just slightly thinner in spots due to shedding. Zroca, its way too soon for me to see any results at the temples. I just started applying minoxidil to them 3 weeks ago. I have a pic of my left temple(the worst one).
http://photos.yahoo.com/vdy1985

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
Nice..

just one thing, can you change the way you covered your eyes in the 1st pic? The black dots are freaking me out man!!!

G

Somebody please advise me on how i can tell my parents i am suffering from male pattern baldness. They have asked me twice why i am taking propecia, they don't know what its for so i told them its for dandruff because i have excess DHt. They asked if it was prescription or over the counter. I said my Doctor prescribed it for me. They checked the record to get the bill because my mom wanted to put it on her medical insurance card from work. And she found that i had no record of getting a prescription from my HMO. So they asked again and i told them i got it from the costco pharmacy. :( It's only a matter of time. I think they know what its for.

zroca

Reaction score
badasshairday said:
Somebody please advise me on how i can tell my parents i am suffering from male pattern baldness. They have asked me twice why i am taking propecia, they don't know what its for so i told them its for dandruff because i have excess DHt. They asked if it was prescription or over the counter. I said my Doctor prescribed it for me. They checked the record to get the bill because my mom wanted to put it on her medical insurance card from work. And she found that i had no record of getting a prescription from my HMO. So they asked again and i told them i got it from the costco pharmacy. :( It's only a matter of time. I think they know what its for.

Why don't you just tell them the truth, that you really want to be a woman and grow a vigina and some breast? I'm sure they'll understand j/k
But really just tell them the truth, that your losing hair and propecia is a drug that helps you from losing it, what could be so hard about that? Hiding it from them is just going to show how insecure you really are about it, not that you should go telling everybody your losing hair, but if you get caught red handed you might as well tell them. My mom and sister know I'm losing my hair their the only ones I can really talk to about it openly other than this message board.
Zroca

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree...

Tell them the truth. They are your family, and hopefully they'll understand. You act as if you are ashamed of taking action against your hairloss, don't be! Tell them straight in their face.

Here's something to ask your dad if he is bald... would he have paid $0.50 a day to keep his hair! That sure put things into perspective for my parents :)

G

badasshairday said:

How, well you open your mouth and say, "I am losing my hair!"

See, that was easy.

BTW- you will do better in life if you banish the word "suffering" from you vocabulary. It is a terrible word to personalize.

Good luck and stop lying to your parents. That is just stupid.

G

thanks for the responces. Yea, it sucks because my dad is a NW1 and he is 48. But i guess i picked up the balding gene. My uncle(dad's brother) lost his hair really early. He became a NW7 by the time he was 25. Well, the next time they bring it up, i'm going to tell them.

pitomtl

Reaction score
This is how my family know:
I told my mom : "Mom, I think I'm losing my hair"..She said : "yeah, I can see that"...then I said: Do you think I should do something about it? ...she replied: "Of course, what are your options?"
See, your mom cares about you...you could be the ugliest kid in the whole world but she'll still love you and for sure she'll be concerned if she sees you're down.

f*** friends, man...they can be so fuckin' nasty sometimes, talk to your family first

Good luck

DisposableHero

Reaction score
From looking at your pics I can see that you have alot of thicknes to your hair already. I think the minoxidil and propecia should do wonders for your temples. But I'm just a newbie :( ... Good luck to us all....

G

Alright, Alright. At Cassin's request I am making an update. I wasn't planning on updating for another month but whatever. So I am now done with 2 full months on propecia. I'm on my third bottle of the propecia and will need a new supply after this. Hopefully I can get a Rx to proscar so i can save a ton of dough. Also I have been on minoxidil 5% for about a month(i think). I'm only applying the minoxidil to my temples.

I am a diffuse thinner. I have expericed thinning all over the top but the thinnest area is the frontal area. The midscalp i think it would be called. The crown and everything else has thinned out a bit, but it is not very bad at all. Actually if you saw me, you wouldn't even think i was balding unless you took a good look at the top of my head. Also the frontal area can look bad in certain light or angles, but i am probably the only one that really notices. Also I am experiencing receding temples. My left side is worse then the right. The right seems pretty stable and has a potential for great regrowth. The left side, I'm just hoping for a little bit of regrowth. My aim is to stop the recession in its tracks.

I started a badass shed in the end of December03', about a month before i started Propecia. I was shedding a shitload of hair, like 100+ easily in the shower and another 30+ styling. Come to think of it, everytime i ran my hand through my hair i'd lose a butt load of hair. While shampooing my hair, my hand would be covered in 30+ hairs each time i ran them through my hair. Fast forward to today, I am still losing it, but not nearly as bad as before. My shedding has definately slowed down. My hair looks about the same as it did when i started treatment. Thats all i got to say.

Cassin

Reaction score
Thanks for updating!

Hey sounds like your doing well bro! Check my update, I just finished a shed. Natsy business, but part of the process!

A few tips when you speak to your Doctor about proscar.....

1. Let the Doctor know it of for financial reasons only and not because you think taking a 5mg pill will net you more benefits. Personally I think this is why more docs don't prescribe Proscar often1

2. Cut the pill fast. The slower you do it, the more likely you are to cut a bad piece and ruin it.

Best of luck, thanks for updating.

G

Woohoo. I saw my derm today and she prescribed me Proscar! It was so simple. I didn't even really have to ask. When i went in to see her she was saying that the propecia is expensive and i told her yea it is. And then i was just about to ask her about proscar, but she beat me to it. She told me that i she's going to prescribe me proscar and to cut it into 1/4ths to save money. Its all good now. Now i'm not going to have to spend $50 a month for finasteride. Now its only going to be $12.50 a month. Im so happy, i have more beer money! lol!