badasshairday's Story

G

Today marks my 3 month on finasteride and around 2 months on minoxidil. I have only been applying minoxidil 1x a day to my temples. It seems like the top of my head still looks about the same or a little better since i started. I have noticed a decrease in hair loss. As for my temples, the peach fuzz has thickened up and i see a bunch of baby blonde hairs. Also right under my left temporal hairline i see a bunch of baby hairs and if all of these little hairs mature I will have a cool hairline. My worst area is still right behind my hairline where i have lost quite a bit of density but still have full coverage. The first 3 inches from the hairline to midscalp are the worst. My hairloss is very similar to elquapos. Since i am a diffuser, i have lost density all over the top but the midscalp is the worst. It's funny because i am sure that the area right behind the first 3inches to the crown has gotten slightly better. My crown seems to have completely stopped dropping hairs.

I had my first shed about 1 month before started finasteride. I remember losing like 100 hairs in the shower alone. My crown started losing density like crazy right before starting finasteride, but i am pretty certain it looks better now then it did back then. Once i started the finasteride i continued to shed like a madman until about the 2 month mark. I think my shed even increased more. I am not afraid of any future sheds because I doubt they will be as horrible as my first shed. I had started a massive shed before treatment that continued for 2 months on treatment.

I am beginning to think i am already starting to maintain at the 3 month mark. Hopefully I will some thickening in the next 3 months for my six month update.

Brasileirao

Experienced Member
Reaction score
sounds like me

Sounds like you are going through the same thing as me. I am approaching month 2 on finasteride and nizoral and I see fine hairs along the hairline. I m still shedding like crazy, but I hope to see results by month 3-4. Good luck bro...sounds like its working for you.

p.s. would you recommend using minoxidil on the temple area?

Thanks,
Tony

G

Update: 4month on finasteride, and I don't know how many on minoxidil. Maybe 3 months on minoxidil(or less). The top of my head looks about the same. I still have thin areas right behind the hairline and the left side of the hairline. My bald temples are no longer bald thanks to minoxidil. They are filling in slowly but surely. I've noticed some shedding in the past few days, i'm not worried. So far i'm maintaining, but no real thickening up top, not that i even expeceted it this early. Temples are just plain looking better. Next update probably month 6. I'm tired of talking about hairloss.

G

LOL! Hairloss, what a fuckin joke. HAHA that ain't sh*t to me anymore. I don't even think about that sh*t anymore. Peace.

And, thanks cassin, HairLossTalk.com, the gardener, flux, bomb, brian, xzel, BHD, and all you other fuckers that helped me out with advice and information.

My reg: cut up proscar, 5% minoxidil on my temples, nizoral and TGel

G

:lol:
........Months later.... my hair is doing awesome. I am way above baseline and everything is looking good. I don't even think about hairloss, just thought i should give an update... it's been a while.
Man, and whats up with all the new moderators? I should be one. j/k
peace.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
I really happy for you bro. Reading that you're not even thinking about hairloss anymore actually put a smile on my face.
Thanks for coming back and letting people know :rockon:

BHD

badasshairday III

Established Member
Reaction score
Quick update:

3.5 years on finasteride to combat my diffuse thinning up top and 3.5 years on minoxidil (apply on temples only).

I am still above baseline. The hair up top is looking good.

Sometime about a year ago I got lazy with minoxidil but now I am picking it back up with the foam. Hopefully I can recharge the temples a bit more with the foam.

Londo

Established Member
Reaction score
badasshairday III, I take it you are Gunner?

Thanks for the long term update. It is good to hear you caught things early and are maintaining.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
you dont look like you have hair loss at all man

Londo

Established Member
Reaction score
He wasn't bad when he started 3 years ago, but he was only 18. His pictures aren't high definition, but you can see thinning at the temples and at the crown.

I think he did a great job of catching things early.

How about some new pictures?

I hope you got your eyes fixed :shock:

badasshairday III

Established Member
Reaction score
Londo said:
He wasn't bad when he started 3 years ago, but he was only 18. His pictures aren't high definition, but you can see thinning at the temples and at the crown.

haha, yea the eyes! I was just playing around with paint before I posted those. I really did catch it early. It is hard to see in the photos because they are low resolution but in a few of those pictures you can see some of the thinning up top. The thinning up top that looks like a thin lane gowing from my crown to my hairline has pretty much filled up all the way.
See it here:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/vdy1985/d ... pg&.src=ph
(the shadow doesn't allow you to see the frontal region, which was also thin like that)

I still have a little thin spot in the frontal region, but its not much to worry about. The temples regrew nicely, but I got super lazy with the minoxidil so they kind of took a hit. Now i'm back on minoxidil foam and they seem to be responding. I will probably post some pics in a few months to assess the foam.

Londo

Established Member
Reaction score
It is probably good you stopped the minoxidil, at least you know you still need it. Your temple thinning seemed kind of odd. It might have been a temporary condition, but now you know it isn't and can keep applying minoxidil.

I'd be curious how your hair would turn out without the Finasteride. Too bad there is only one way to find out :wink:

Good luck and thanks for sticking around. Newbs like me like to hear about long term results, even though our circumstances are very different.

badasshairday III

Established Member
Reaction score
My temples got really deep, especially the one in the left. It had been receding for a number of years. The only reason I got on treatment was because I experienced a huge amount of shedding and noticed the thinning up top.

This is the baseline before minoxidil on the left temple:

After about 2.5 months on minoxidil it looked like this:

A lot of baby hairs sprouted from the minoxidil. My hair is longer overall also in that pic compared to baseline. They weren't, and still aren't full terminal hairs but they make a cosmetic difference in the appearance of my temples.

Here you can see the thinned out regions up top, I know it isn't much, but I'm glad I caught it early:

I will take another round of pictures like this in a few weeks when my hair is approximately the same length as in these photos.

Londo

Established Member
Reaction score
You where 18 when you started Finasteride. Some would say that is too young. Three years later, what are your thoughts on starting so young? What would you recommend for someone young who is thinning? Did you have any sexual side effects? Do you think finasteride stunted your final growth or muscular developement any?

I'm 45, started receding noticeably at 26, bald spot became noticeable in my thirties, and I started finasteride six months ago. I wouldn't hesitate recommending finasteride to someone say 22 years old or older, but I don't know that I'd recommend it to someone who was 18. Personally, I was 5' 9" at 16 years old and that was as tall as I ever got (bummer).

badasshairday III

Established Member
Reaction score
Londo said:
You where 18 when you started Finasteride. Some would say that is too young. Three years later, what are your thoughts on starting so young? What would you recommend for someone young who is thinning? Did you have any sexual side effects? Do you think finasteride stunted your final growth or muscular developement any?

I'm 45, started receding noticeably at 26, bald spot became noticeable in my thirties, and I started finasteride six months ago. I wouldn't hesitate recommending finasteride to someone say 22 years old or older, but I don't know that I'd recommend it to someone who was 18. Personally, I was 5' 9" at 16 years old and that was as tall as I ever got (bummer).

I was just about to turn 19 when I started finasteride. I did a lot of research before starting and thought it would be my best option because I could not imagine having to apply Rogaine liquid twice a day all over the top of my head. For me, I knew finasteride would help all over the top by just taking a tablet a day. I knew I would need to keep start my temples with minoxidil, which was not a problem because applying to the temples is much easier than doing it all over the top.

In terms of recommending finasteride for 18 year olds, the study by the FDA consisted of men 18 and up so I wasn't concerned about that aspect. Although I feel it may be a problem for other males who bloom a little bit later. As for me, I was pretty much done with puberty by 16, I was an early bloomer. At 16 I was 6 feet tall and could grow a full beard. For the next 2 years I didn't grow at all so I knew my growth period was over. I haven't had a prblem with gaining muscle or anything out of the ordinary.

I'm really glad I started it when I started because it has allowed me to maintain a head of hair without anyone noticing thinning unless they really examined my hair properly and used their hands. Also I knw that the finasteride is going to keep working and any more hairloss I experience will be extremely slow, so I can hope on keeping a decent head of hair for a long time to come. *knock on wood*.

The worst case scenario for me right now is if my hairloss increases again suddenly and I start to thin out despite using finasteride. Then I would have to use the minoxidil all over the top of my head to get regrowth and maintanence. That alone will buy me several more years of a decent head of hair.

Londo

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great responses.

I'm kind of surprised that finasteride didn't get you your temples back since you started so early. I thought DHT would take longer to kill the follicles completely. Maybe it is due to one of the other mysterious factors involved in hairloss. I'm still trying to understand hairloss as much as I can so I can give sound advice.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
badasshairday III said:
Londo said:

haha, yea the eyes! I was just playing around with paint before I posted those. I really did catch it early. It is hard to see in the photos because they are low resolution but in a few of those pictures you can see some of the thinning up top. The thinning up top that looks like a thin lane gowing from my crown to my hairline has pretty much filled up all the way.
See it here:
(the shadow doesn't allow you to see the frontal region, which was also thin like that)

I still have a little thin spot in the frontal region, but its not much to worry about. The temples regrew nicely, but I got super lazy with the minoxidil so they kind of took a hit. Now i'm back on minoxidil foam and they seem to be responding. I will probably post some pics in a few months to assess the foam.

I see what you mean now, in that particular pic, the top was rather thin.

Good thing you caught it VERY early, and your hair should be great for many years to come man