balding89's story

balding89

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi fellow members, :punk:

my current regime:

- 4 months and 16 days on Proscar (1/4th a day = 1.25mg)
- 4 months on minoxidil 5% only on the temples (once a day, every
evening)
- Nizoral (1 or 2 times a week)
- vitamins for hair

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I am 22 years old and I started thinning at my temples when I was somewhere around 18-19 years old.

in this period I slowly but steadily lost more hair in the temple areas, so that is why I decided to give "the big 3" a shot 4,5 months ago...

After one month I started shedding a lot of hair. I was shedding +- 150 hairs when I was showering. (this lasted one week or so).
In month 2 my hair got a little bit thicker, and also looked healthier (no regrowth yet).
In month 3 and month 4 I shedded a lot of hair again, (+-50-100 hair in the shower). I have to say, even though i shedded, my existing hair did get a bit thicker overall...

Concerning the minoxidil: I applied the minoxidil only on my temples these 4 months , because I only have a hairloss problem there at the moment. But what I noticed is that my hair has gotten worse at the temples these passed months :s... My temples have receeded more backwards (+- 1/2 inch). Also the hair in front has thinned out a bit, nothing drastic, but noticable to me.

My question are: :dunno:
Will these hairs that were lost grow back over time? And is it possible that my temples have receeded more because of the minoxidil? Should I stop using minoxidil then? I find it strange that minoxidil is making things worse after 4 months and I don't see any temple regrowth yet :s... I also feel like propecia should have kicked in by now, but the only thing I expercienced was a bit of thickening...

Anyway I have taken some baseline pics, and pics when I was in month 3,5 of treatment. Unfortunatly I can't post these pics right away, because I left my cam back in the Netherlands. I am now on vacation, and will post these pics asap. I return in 2,5 weeks! :woot:

What about the side effects?
Proscar:
- in the beginning some ball ache + watery seamon
- at first higher libido (lasted one week or so), then everything went
back to normal

minoxidil:
- None

Any suggestions / comments are welcome.

I'll Keep You Guys Updated Every Month! Pics Will Follow Asap!

God Speed to all !

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: My Story (+- 5months in to treatments)

what vitamins are you taking?

balding89

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: My Story (+- 5months in to treatments)

2020 said:
what vitamins are you taking?

Just some general vitamins for hairloss. containing methionine, cystine , selenium, vit b6 and vit PP.

Man in Space

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Regrowth from Minoxidil can take a while, certainly in my experience for the first three months I thinned out a fair degree and then it began to grow back with a bit extra at around 6 months, now im at 8 1/2 months and its looking better every day. Stick with it and give it time, best of luck

balding89

Established Member
Reaction score
Man in Space said:
Regrowth from Minoxidil can take a while, certainly in my experience for the first three months I thinned out a fair degree and then it began to grow back with a bit extra at around 6 months, now im at 8 1/2 months and its looking better every day. Stick with it and give it time, best of luck

I'm only using minoxidil once a day (every night).
Should I start using it 2x a day, or stick with my current regime?
Anyway, thanks for your post, it's really helpfull.

Man in Space

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have gotten my gains from applying it twice a day so I will continue using it like that but im not sure anyone knows how much difference two applications per day makes.

My only advice would be if you do decide to use it twice per day, its much easier to use rogaine foam in the morning as it dries quickly, can be used to style your hair and cosmetically thickens it too, then use the liquid in the evening. Best of luck whatever you decide

balding89

Established Member
Reaction score
Man in Space said:
I have gotten my gains from applying it twice a day so I will continue using it like that but im not sure anyone knows how much difference two applications per day makes.

My only advice would be if you do decide to use it twice per day, its much easier to use rogaine foam in the morning as it dries quickly, can be used to style your hair and cosmetically thickens it too, then use the liquid in the evening. Best of luck whatever you decide

Oke thanks, I'll keep that one in mind.

balding89

Established Member
Reaction score
Ben said:
Alot of people use it once a day without any problems. Considering your trying to get regrowth at the temples which is the hardest place to regrow then twice a day may be of some benefit.

You're probably right. Temples are the hardest places to get regrowth. I'll have to think about this one for a while. I really don't like using minoxidil 2x a day.. :s

balding89

Established Member
Reaction score
Just 8 more days and I will have reached the 5 month mark on treatments.

I still have some hair on my temples when pushed back (see pics). I am only receeding on my temples though, but I have not seen any regrowth yet...
Does anybody know when I will start to have some regrowth on the temples?

The funny thing is that I had DOUBLE the amount of hair on my temples this summer. (which is +- 6 months ago).
I started noticing more hair loss at the temples in Juli. and I started on Proscar and minoxidil (1x daily) on the 19th of september. In these (almost) 5 months, I have seen even more loss in the temple area. I think it is because I am shedding much more than I used to...

Before treatment my male pattern baldness was rather slow and I lost maybe max. 10-20 hairs when showering. now that I am using proscar and minoxidil I am shedding a lot more !!! :(

The shedding started at month 1.5 in to tratments and is still lasting ! :eek: (so I can say that I am almost shedding for 3.5 months now. When the shedding started I did notice that I lost arount 100 hair when showering. Now I am shedding around 50 to 70 hairs just when showering (I count them :) )... The interesting part is taht I am shedding all over my head. I lose hair on the sides, in the back, on top, temples, front ... pff

Only my temple loss is noticable, the rest of my hair is still rather thick.

Btw: the first 2 weeks of treatment I shedded a lot of hair. not every day, but just a some days... When I showered around 150 hairs would come out at once... But that went away after those first 2 weeks... Anyone knows what that could have been?

pics:
Richt temple
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/9571/s5035520.jpg

left temple
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/215/s5035526.jpg/

comments are welcome!

grtz!

Hellboy666

Established Member
Reaction score
cut finasteride tablet is tremendous stupidity

balding89

Established Member
Reaction score
Hellboy666 said:
cut finasteride tablet is tremendous stupidity

Why is that so? You are the first to say so...

balding89

Established Member
Reaction score
Regime update:

Since yesterday 13/02/2012

• Proscar 1.25 mg a day

Minoxidil 2 times a day

Nizoral 2-3 times a week

balding89

Established Member
Reaction score
Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff 6 months and stil shedding hair every day .. :(

since starting Proscar I am shedding a lot more hair than I would like too.

I really don't understand why this is happening for such a long period :s

balding89

Established Member
Reaction score
Shedding stopped 2 weeks ago ... really strange...

With 'stopped' I mean that I only lose maximum 20 hairs in the shower, instead of the +- 100 hairs that I shedded while showering.

I guess the propecia is taking hold now ?
Although my temples + hairline have gone back a bit over the past 5 months that I have been shedding... :(

I really hope that my shedded hair on the hairline and temples will grow back over the next couple of months. bc I am not 100% sure of anything anymore ...

balding89

Established Member
Reaction score
I seem to be maintaining !

I am not shedding anymore since the beginning of month 6. When showering I lose max 10 hairs.

My temples havn't gotten better. They are still kinda the same, altough I can see a lot of new little white hairs on my temples now.
At this point I really don't know if they will grow any longer. Guess I'll have to wait that one out :)

Anyway, I am almost 8 months on Finasteride/minoxidil/nizoral.
I have 3 batches of Avodart at home, and I am considering switching from propecia to Avodart. Hoping that Avodart will help me regrow more temple hair...

What do you guys think?? what are your opinions on what I should do best ?

:dunno:

please don't tell me I should be happy now that I am maintaining :s ... I really started the big 3 to regrow TEMPLE HAIR !! I still have a fair amount of hair on my temples! they are just freakin' miniturized !!! :(

antman

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey since u r considering Avodart I decided to do a few searches on my universities journal/studies database. I hope reading this helps u make an informed decision about Avodart. Best of luck to u.

Avodart reduces DHT by a lot, free testosterone by a little bit (no more than finasteride), increases total testosterone, there was a 3.1% increase in strength over 24 months (not significant), no change in BMI except that those with low testosterone lost BMI (didn’t say if it was muscle or fat),

Low serum testosterone levels are poor predictors of sexual dysfunction
Michael Marberger1,*, Timothy H. Wilson2,Roger S. Rittmaster2
Volume 108, Issue 2, pages 256–262, July 2011
This study was done on 8231 patients !!!!!!!!!

Sexually inactive 19%
Impotent 28%
Decreased libido 22%

testosterone levels was only found for ‘impotence

RESULTS
•?Multivariate logistic regression showed that baseline age and IPSS were significant predictors of all four sexual function criteria examined (P < 0.0001).
•?BMI was a significant predictor of decreased libido, impotence and a PAS-SFI score <9, while diabetes/glucose intolerance was a significant predictor of sexual inactivity, impotence and a PAS-SFI score <9.
•?Testosterone and TPV were not significant predictors of any sexual function criterion examined.

SEXUAL DYSFUNCTION BY BASELINE SUBJECT CHARACTERISTICS

When univariate analysis of baseline serum testosterone levels for subjects with vs. without sexual dysfunction were compared using Wilcoxon rank-sum tests, a signi?cant difference (P < 0.0001) in testosterone levels was only found for ‘impotence’ (Fig. 1A). Baseline age and IPSS score were signi?cantly greater for subjects with than without sexual dysfunction for all four criteria of sexual dysfunction (P <0.0001,data not shown). A signi?cantly higher TPV was observed in subjects with than without ‘impotence’ or PAS-SFI score <9 (Fig. 1B). Further, a signi?cantly higher BMI was found in men with than without ‘impotence’, decreased libido and a PAS-SFI score <9 (Fig. 1C). No signi?cant differences in TPV or BMI were found for subjects with vs. without the other sexual function criteria examined.

Effect of the dual 5?-reductase inhibitor, dutasteride, on serum testosterone and body mass index in men with benign prostatic hyperplasia
Sung Kyu Hong and co
Volume 105, Issue 7, pages 970–974, April 2010

CONCLUSION
Our results show that dutasteride treatment in men with BPH led to a significant increase in serum testosterone level and a significant decrease in BMI among those with relatively lower baseline serum testosterone levels.

Relationship among Serum Testosterone, Sexual Function, and Response to Treatment in Men Receiving Dutasteride for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia
Michael Marberger, Claus G. Roehrborn, Leonard S. Marks, Timothy Wilson, and Roger S. Rittmaster

Results: Although lower BST was associated with increased sexual dysfunction, this increase was not seen until BST was less than 225 ng/dl. There was no decrease in baseline PSA and prostate volume at low BST levels. Dutasteride was effective at decreasing PSA and prostate volume and improving BPH symptoms at all BST levels.