Baldyoungin86's Story - ( Improving my hair.with the BIG 3)

baldyoungin86

Reaction score
Hey,

I have been lurking here for a few months now. I will first start with my backstory which is not a good one at all. I see some people in here that are 25 crying about having a small receding line and I want to vomit... well heres why:

It started in 7th grade actually, I used to wear my hair really long in a "chili bowl" style. After football practice I would part in the middle after I would take a shower. This is when people starting commenting on my receding hairline. They laughed about it... but I didn't really see it nor really care too much. I was in seventh grade its not like it was even possible (so I thought).

8th grade started and I cut my hair shorter, like a normal boy hair. This is when I realized that I had some recession. It wasn't anything major at all in fact unless you were trying to spot it no one could tell. I hid it fairly well I guess. As my hair grew longer I started seeing the recession going farther back. There's an 8th grade football picture of me right after the game where I'm running into the locker room, I had a very mature hairline to say the least.

9th grade came, it stayed somewhat like that. I noticed I couldn't wear my hair like most people could. In the variety of slicking it back because of how much it was receding. I was getting comments on it. So I decided to bleach my hair, as everyone goes through that stage. It actually helped and the receding hairline pretty much was invisible. I had a nice tan as well which I think helped. I never did anything with my hair, I was growing it semi long and just letting it lay there.

10th grade is when things started getting noticeable to the point that I had to do my hair with enough hairspray in the front so it wouldn't move too much. Playing football this was hard to do... but I did it decently well. I was lucky enough to be able to spend a lot of my time in the coaches office. our school was one of those that football was such a huge priority that we were allowed to skip class and watch film. I think this helped because I wore a hat during these times. The only comments I would get would be at parties or after games when my hair was wet.

11th grade was pretty bad. I remember people thinking I had a toupee on because of the way my hair would sit. I had to fluff it up in order for it to cover everything that needed to be covered. I had good days and bad days. So much that girls would tell me "Wow you look different today" And that would be when the weather outside made my hair flatter... I'm sure some of you know what I'm talking about. I loved those days my hair would style so good and i wouldn't have to worry about it.

12th grade I didn't do too much at school I was lucky enough to be liked by most of the faculty and staff so that I could get away with leaving campus for lunch... staying in the field house half the time. When I did go to class I wore a hat most of the time, the teachers didn't mind as long as it was a team hat... it was showing school spirit. When i did take it off I would definitely get comments on it.

The downhill really started my first year in college, it got to the point that I couldn't hide it and that's when I started wearing a hat 24 7. I worked at a place I could wear a hat... I lifeguarded in the summers so I could wear a hat. Everything I did minus the family I wore a hat. I felt better about myself.

2006 was an even worse year to the point that I decided to forget about the baldness and embrace it. I shaved my head almost down to the skin and didn't care about the receding hairline. I liked it, I got good comments on it, but my biggest problem was my damn eyebrows. I have a very nice shaped head, but I have very dark bushy eyebrows that makes me look just weird. I also started wearing bandannas on the front of my head... you know that covered up the receding. I wore my hair long and it looked pretty good.

2007 was the worst year ever... the crown started thinning out. I couldn't wear the bandanna just on the front of my head, because people would laugh at my developing bald spot in the back.. .so i shaved my head again to the skin. Again this would have looked great had I NOT had the big eyebrows. I decided to hell with it, put on a bandanna and a hat... and never looked back.

Now its 2008 and my family and friends have not seen me without a bandanna or hat on since. This hasn't helped and my hair has gotten even worse. I work at a job while going to school that I can wear a bandanna at, and since its a steel mill I get away with it. They ask me why I always have a bandanna but none really think I'm bald since I just turned 22.

The only person who has seen me without something on my head has been my gf. She is supportive, but i feel bad because I won't go anywhere nice to where I would have to go without a hat. Her family is really religious and wants me to take part in it, but I won't because of my hair.

Its not that I'm bald that bothers me.. I wouldn't mind being bald... if I wasn't so young. Its just weird.

FAMILY HISTORY: My grandfather on my mothers side was bald by the time he was 23. He wore the horseshoe ever since I can remember, and he doesn't care at all. My other grandparents all had full heads of hair... very dark. My father is the one that makes me mad to no end. He looks just like George Clooney and ages like that as well. Both of my brothers have receding hairlines, but they are in their 30s and I'm thinking just have more of a "mature hairline." So Im the only one that was really blessed with this.

TRANSPLANTS: I've looked into transplants, as in I've seen what they do and how they do it. But I am not going to try and get one at this age not when I will lose much more. I have lost enough though to where you can tell where I'm going to be going someday, but still I want to wait until my 30s.

KNOWLEDGE FROM THIS SITE: This site has givin me a new lease on life. I have read all the stories and looked at pretty much everything I can get my hands on. I was always told rogaine and propecia did not work and not to try it... well I learned that wasn't the case I found out.

Now that you've gotten all that, its time for the regime that I am following and the results.

I started finasteride and minoxidil July 31st. I took pictures that day so I could have a starting base... and here they are:

THIS WAS A BASELINE... AS YOU CAN SEE I HAVE LOST A LOT OF HAIR (7/31)
hair-02.jpg

A PICTURE FROM A LITTLE FURTHER AWAY (7/31)
hair-03.jpg

CLOSER YOU CAN SEE THE BIG BALD SPOT ON THE BACK (7/31)
hair-05.jpg

HAIRS LONGER, ITS BEEN A MONTH (8/31)
hair-10.jpg

FRONT PICTURE FROM THE SAME MONTH (8/31)
hair-11.jpg

EVEN CLOSER TO SEE IF THERE WAS ANY HAIR GROWTH THOUGH I WASN'T EXPECTING (8/31)
hair-13.jpg

So I didn't really see too much during august, didn't expect to either so I wasn't really down. I was thinking it would be 6 months before I saw anything. I was taking these pills religiously. finasteride at 6 in the morning, then I would eat. Rogaine Foam at 6 in the morning and again before bed time. Through the past two months I have only missed two rogaine treatments and one finasteride treatment.

I started seeing a definite improvement in my hair during September. I did my best not examine it on a daily basis. I had always had really light blond hairs along my past hairline... even before I started rogaine foam, they were basically dead hair. Well I started noticing them thickening up and getting those black dots where you would expect terminal hair to grow. Again I wasn't getting excited because its only been two months. Well here are the pictures and yall can tell me what yall think. I believe my front is filling in somewhat. I have kept my head shaved down pretty short so that I don't constantly worry about it, plus it probably helps with absorption.

THIS IS REALLY CLOSEUP MAYBE YOU CAN SEE THE BLACK DOTS I WAS TALKING ABOUT (10/2)
hair-14.jpg

THIS IS SOMEWHAT THE SAME ANGLE AS THE BEFORE PICTURES I THINK IT LOOKS OVERALL BETTER (10/2)
hair-16.jpg

FARTHER BUT CLOSER TO THE ORIGINAL ONES (10/2)
hair-17.jpg

ANOTHER FROM SOMEWHAT SAME ANGLE (10/2)
hair-18.jpg

FINAL ONE FROM ANGLE (10/2)
hair-19.jpg

So to sum it up, I think its working somewhat. I dont want to get excited or anything but i have definitely seen a slowing down of the loss and I think its getting better. It could just be me getting my hopes up, which I promised I wouldn't do. Hope you guys can help me out. And if you wanna know anything else just ask away.

THANKS

SE-freak

Reaction score
You think it's getting better?

It's been 67 days and the difference in density is amazing. You are a great responder in case you haven't noticed.
I am sure it will keep getting much much better as long as you stay consistent on your regimen.

Add a ketoconazole containing shampoo (like Nizoral 2%) to the mix ASAP.

Cassin

Reaction score
baldyoungin86 said:
KNOWLEDGE FROM THIS SITE: This site has givin me a new lease on life. I have read all the stories and looked at pretty much everything I can get my hands on. I was always told rogaine and propecia did not work and not to try it... well I learned that wasn't the case I found out.

I am very happy you found this forum so helpful...thank you for sharing your story. And I agree with SE-freak...your results are amazing at the least.

Please keep up updated and stay constant with your current regimen.

A

Administrator

baldyoungin86 said:
This site has givin me a new lease on life.
The nicest thing you could possibly say. Glad we've helped.

Admin

baldyoungin86

Reaction score
Thanks guy... I definitely see the density, its one of those things about not getting my hopes up. I have a very different way of applying the rogaine foam I believe.

After I put my rogaine on the scalp I immediately put one of those skull caps from under armour on for atleast an hour. I'm not really sure if this helps really at all, but it does in my mind so thats all that matters.

As far as shedding, i haven't noticed too much at all, but that's probably because I have kept it super short so the small hairs wouldn't be too noticeable anyway.

SE FREAK- Thanks, I believe I had good results as well Im glad others see it. I have Nizoral 1%, I use it every 3rd day. I was going to add MSM but my hair already grows insanely fast, so I figured I would have to shave my head like twice an hour if I did that. I do take saw palmetto sometimes, especially on days I workout... again this might not do anything but it does in my mind.

CASSIN- Thanks so much... I can't stress enough how great these people are here. If I hadn't stumbled on this website I would have never tried finasteride or even rogaine, because everybody has always told me it doesn't do anything. Thanks again for that. And I will definitely keep everyone updated once a month, or if there's not much improvement twice a month.

ADMIN- Again all the thanks goes to yall.

I hope one day I'll be in the success stories... a boy can always dream.

Cassin

Reaction score
baldyoungin86 said:
After I put my rogaine on the scalp I immediately put one of those skull caps from under armour on for atleast an hour. I'm not really sure if this helps really at all, but it does in my mind so thats all that matters..

I'm not sure I would do that. In my opinion you should let your scalp air out a bit after application.

Cassin

Reaction score
baldyoungin86 said:
CASSIN: I actually thought about that as well. I think I'll let it air out from now on, thanks.

You are welcome!

I'm going to sticky your thread for a week or so...I think this would be a wonderful feature for the new folks to read since its very encouraging considering your attitude and results.

Sorue

Reaction score
dude grats, those are fantastic results.. as se freak has already said, the diff in density is just wow.. it's good that your attitude is so positive too. awesome

baldyoungin86

Reaction score
SORUE- Thanks... I am also very excited about the density.

CASSIN- I'm glad that I can help the site in any way I can, I will definitely keep you guys updated on my results every month. I think attitude goes a long with with this, it is a lifelong commitment, but I think its a very fair trade off considering what it can do to your confidence and whole psychological state.

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hey baldyoungin,

i definitely see results too, and it's only been about 2 months - amazing response to say the least. keep doing what you're doing, i'll be excited to see where you're at come 2009!

it's been almost a year since i first came to this site. when i started freaking out and searching online the first site i came to was slybaldguys.com. everyone there espouses hatred for meds like propecia and minoxidil and says "just shave it" - boy am I glad I found this place! It took me almost 2 months of research on this site before actually starting meds, but they've totally stopped the loss and it has been an amazing weight off my shoulders to not worry about my hair everyday. Being able to read real people's testimonials and struggles with hair loss on this site changed my life. The meds might not last forever, but I'm thankful for the time I've got.

anyway, it's people like you that make this site so valuable, so I really hope you hang around and join the community. congrats on your success!

haunted-ballroom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I dont really have anything to add that hasnt been said already, but your hair has definatly improved I have no doubt about that. Keep up the treatments and keep posting pics. Im interested to see just how much your situation improves. Well done.

die_hard

Established Member
Reaction score
Wow, amazing results. You're a great respnder obviously..I think this should be in the "success stories" forum as well.

I hope I respond the same way, allthough I'm not as far along as you in terms of loss.

-DH

baldyoungin86

Reaction score
Thanks once again guys. I do enjoy my results and looking back at some of my older pictures I can't believe how bald I was... and how much of a difference two months makes. I am still a huge hat guy, and will always be, but that's just what I'm comfortable with. I think that's the best thing about my situation is I don't have to worry about what my head looks. It bothers me of course, but I'm wearing a hat at school... then I wear a bandanna at work so the only times I have to worry about it is when I'm doing the treatments.

I have definitely been pretty good about not checking the mirror looking for anything. Occasionally I will look close because I seem to get a lot of dark dots forming around my hairline... i think that's a good thing because it seems like the hairs are turning terminal. I don't want to get my hopes up, but those dark pits are definitely forming.

I wouldn't say Im a success story yet... but I hopefully one day I will be. I do believe I am a good responder but I think that has a lot to do with my young age... and the severity of my baldness. There's nothing I can do about it though, its something that happened and without the medicine there is no telling how bad it would get. Honestly I would love to get more results... but if this is how far it goes and I stay like this I will say that the medicine worked.

Thanks for all the kind words guys... I will definitely keep you guys updated. I hope that my story and results persuade others to get on the Big 3.

I also see a lot of flack get fed about Rogaine Foam, I believe it has worked pretty well... I mean I can't be 100 percent sure that the liquid wouldn't do the same thing or better, but I do think it has helped my hair out tremendously and will continue to use it throughout the treatments.

I probably won't send many pictures for a month or two... just because I don't want to start looking at my hair every day or anything... I haven't done it yet and it has worked out fine.

THANKS

Reaction score
Awesome results man! It definitely looks better in a very short space of time.... give it 3 years and im sure your hair will look great!