BarcaFan's Story - (18yrs old - already a Norwood 2.5 Pix)

barcafan

Reaction score
Hey what's up guys, i am another unfortunate early sufferer of male pattern baldness.

Backround info:

Age - 18
Height - 5'11
Weight - 160

Brother still Norwood 1.5-2 @ 24 with good hair

Daddy was NW7 @ 25 ,his brother is like a Norwood 5 right now at 50, Grandfather is a Norwood 6-7 (At around like 30ish though).

Mother's dad died at 65 around norwood 4 i'd say, so not too bad. Her brother is like a norwood 3.5 @ 40. She has good hair.

I am probably around a norwood 2 - 2.5 BUT i have Serious side thinning and some temple reccesion.

Started loosing hair from sides / temples / a little from back of head @ 16 as shown:

hairlj0.jpg

The blue represents the thinning, it's not as patchy as shown in the picture BUT the sides (Area above sideburns) have definite thinning, as well as the temples (Not as much as sides) and the back of my head (the corners that are just a bit above the neck).

I am JUST about to start using 5% minoxidil 2x daily (Will probably get on propecia, but wait till im around 20ish)

=============================================================
Update : Pictures - MID MARCH 07

Well i finally buzzed my head (Did it myself! ;D) so i can free myself of the daily morning routine to cover up the crappy areas.

buzzedfrontrc9.jpg
- Hair line front

buzzedtoppf8.jpg
- Hair line Top

buzzedleftne2.jpg
- Left side

buzzedrightsideed3.jpg
- Right side (Edited because i looked like a douche)

New Pic Added --- JulyISH 2007

n510846128_44198_3922.jpg

NEW *SHAVED* PICS (SEPT 2 , 2007)

front1sh2.jpg

front2cz3.jpg

leftfg7.jpg

rightab2.jpg

topfrontub9.jpg

topleftzl9.jpg

toprightdh8.jpg

topzf2.jpg

New pic longer hair - Nov 22 2007, Looks to be maintaining decently although under other lighting i wonder......

n510846128_475924_1239.jp.g

....man its crazy how many pictures i took.
Goals

I would like to 'fix' the problem areas im having (illustrated above, on the norwood picture). I have really thin sides (Above side burn area) and f*cked up temples (Especially the right) and thinning above my ear area and thinning on the very back of the head (Right on the neck area), and have developed vertex thinning as well, don't want to use minoxidil on it hoping propecia will nip it in the bud.

I have many thin vellous hairs (Not too visible in pics) on my temples and side areas, im feeling confident that i can recruit those into being terminal hairs.

I am now ~5 months on 5% minoxidil , .625 MG Finasteride regimin (Not much difference yet, which can be a good thing, hair is quite thin all over)

I'll try to keep pictures in order to record progress!

And good luck to everyone else who's fighting male pattern baldness!

WILL POST SOME LONGER HAIR PICS FROM BEFORE

idcardcv2cx0.jpg

barcafan

Reaction score
No, its definetly more progressed than that. The temples are still thinning and i have a naturally big friggin head :oops: .

WorldofWarcraft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
psych721027 said:
I'd say you're overly dramatizing your hair loss. Looks closer to 1, maybe 1.5NW.

Norwood 1? There goes your credibility. His hairline looks a lot like mine and I have been diagnosed with male pattern baldness from a medical doctor. No, neither him nor I are norwood 1s, or even 1.5s. Try Norwood 2.5 headed fast into NW3.

psych721027

Reaction score
At the most he's a 2. And that's pushing it. From the top of his head, he's got good, round symmettry which is closer to a NW1 than anything. And the sides are at most NW2 at the temples. Better get your eyes checked WOW before you start mouthing off about people's credibility.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be concerned about it, however I am saying it isn't as bad as you think. I'd bet, that if you asked most people on the street how your hair looked, the last thing you would get is your going bald. The only place you'll hear that is from here. Though on the whole most are pretty neurotic about their hair on here, however, they are some of the most knowledgeable on the subject.

So, even though I said you're being overly dramatic about it and still think that way, you should at least be on minoxidil and Nizoral if you wanna try and keep what you have a grow a little back.

G

Both of you are wrong. He's not a 1 and he's not a 2.5. He is basically a 2. He does have receded temples as psych said, but the center of his hairline is still in good shape. He basically has the look that almost all Caucasian men get when they get older, balding or not. I am surprised that it's happening at age 18 or earlier though, which may indicate future balding on the horizon. He does have a history of it on both sides of his family so chances are he is starting the balding process.

You can clearly see that he's not a 2.5 or 3 by looking at this overhead pic that he posted:

http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/9896 ... toppf8.jpg

A Norwood 2.5 or 3 would have the hair in the frontal center starting to turn into a straight ridge of hair rather than still having that evenness across the front.

Here's me at Norwood 1.5:

As you can see, it looks similar to his buzzed top although his front is a bit more rounded and the center a bit more separated and sharp which makes him a 2.

THAT said, he is 18 years old and this has prob been going on for at least a few months so chances are he will be a 3 quite soon without intervention of medication(READ: PROPECIA). Talk to your doctor buddy. You'll regret not getting on it as soon as you can if you're a candidate.

Jojje

Experienced Member
Reaction score
well boys and girls not everyone is born with a perfect

|------| hairline 8)
so that could be naturly look as well.

Jojje

Experienced Member
Reaction score
damit now i looked at jaymans pic... my bad, youre pic looks like a bitt receeding on the temples.
:oops:

G

Jojje said:
damit now i looked at jaymans pic... my bad, youre pic looks like a bitt receeding on the temples.
:oops:

whose pic looks like that? you are right that not everyone is born with a perfectly straight hairline. i wasn't.

Jojje

Experienced Member
Reaction score
barcas, jayman i think the pic u posted there looks pretty normal, if you compare with the hair on the side.
anyway, take it as a compliment, looks good and i dont think if you meet a girl that she would have noticed any male pattern baldness :D

Jojje

Experienced Member
Reaction score
no i dont think it will be noticed if he grew out his hair. think it will be too smal receeding to se, if you are not looking for it.
i my self is a Norwood 2 or 2.5 but getting good results on my treatment.
looking like its going to be a good recovery.

G

Imo, he is a Norwood 2.25. His hairline reminds me of Aplunk1´s (btw. has anybody seen him in the last weeks?).

You should think about adding Finasteride asap. For a 18years old your hairloss looks very agressive. Good Luck mate!

barcafan

Reaction score
Alright about 1.5 months in with foam / .625 mg finas daily.

No results to report except a slight shed. Keeping in mind that i was using liquid minoxidil for about 1 months so the foam didnt have enough time to show its magic (in the form on a shed) yet.

Will update in a couple months.

Sir Guy of Frizzbourne

Established Member
Reaction score
Your hairline doesn't look too bad as of now, but considering your age, I'd be concerned too. You could even grow it out if you wanted, although the buzz looks good on you. Based on your pic, you strike me as the kind of guy who could get a lot of female attention (good attention) as long as you don't let your hairline keep you down. If it makes you feel any better, look at Ewan McGregor in Trainspotting. You hair looks similar to his. His hair has not changed that much over the years. I bet he used finasteride or some kind of treatment. There is hope.

Knendell

Established Member
Reaction score
I never in my life had that much hair. I must have been born at NW3 or something. I would kill to have had hair like that at any point in my life. I guess I am around a 5 now.