BBen's Story - last update 15/08/2011

bben

Reaction score
Re: BBen's Story (22yo) update p3 with pics

I can't remember having any sides from the finasteride. The first week I was on minoxidil I had heart palpitations but since then no sides at all. :)

bben

Reaction score

Hi everyone,

I'm now at around 9 months using finasteride & Rogaine/minoxidil so I thought I'd post some updates.

Over all I think I've slowed hair loss down a bit but I don't seem to be having any regrowth and it seems to me my hair is worse than at the last 4 month update. :(

I always keep my hair much shorter now as it looks a lot neater than before. Here are a few pics I took a few days ago some of them still look quite bad as I've just got out of the shower so my hair is still damp.

[attachment=2:3h8140fh]IMG_1338.JPG[/attachment:3h8140fh]
[attachment=1:3h8140fh]IMG_1349.JPG[/attachment:3h8140fh]
[attachment=0:3h8140fh]IMG_1357.JPG[/attachment:3h8140fh]

I would really like to add some more to my regimen to help growth. I see a lot of people talking about peach fuzz growing when using minoxidil I have none... The existing hairs look thicker & stronger but I don't think there are any new ones growing so I'm thinking I need to add something else to help promote growth.

I've been thinking about retin-a does anyone think that might help?

Attachments

• IMG_1338.JPG
    IMG_1338.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_1349.JPG
    IMG_1349.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_1357.JPG
    IMG_1357.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 207

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score

You probably need a stronger minoxidil and increase in propecia doseage.

.25 isn't enough, despite what some people say on here, unless you have noticeable side effects. The scientific studies by Merck and that the FDA approved say 1mg or so is most effective.

I'd move to 5% or even that 15% minoxidil stuff.

I've been on 1.25mg of finasteride since mid-June and it seems my loss has stopped somewhat, less shedding and itching, hopefully regrowth, if not I'll be adding minoxidil.

bben

Reaction score

I've been using Rogaine foam for the past 4-5 months which I believe is 5% I've just ordered some more so maybe once that lot is out I'll think about 15%. Isn't 15% a lot though? I don't see it mentioned very much wouldn't it have a much higher chance of sides?

I'm already on 1.25mg of finasteride as it's 5mg Fincar which I split into 4. The thing is I've never had any sides at all from it so I'm wondering if it's really legit or not. I did buy it from an online pharmacy but it is one of the popular ones which quite a few people have ordered from.

juanfran123

Reaction score
Re: BBen's Story (23) 9 month update p3

I was on fincar from inhouse for about 2 years, defo worked for me as I do not use minoxidil!

Keep with what you are doing, I can see improvement!!!!

bben

Reaction score

Thanks, I won't quit the finasteride as I think that it's doing it's job at the back. What I'm worried about at the moment is the temples. You can see they look really thin in the last pictures I posted.

I've looked through some older pics I've taken and I think it's getting worse at the front. I'm going to take a look see if I can add some more to my regimen to improve the temples. I'm definitely interested if anyone has any suggestions. :)

cuebald

Reaction score

I think your temples look a little better in the recent pics, in the older ones you just had longer hair covering them up.

file.php

You can see evidence of temple recession in this one ??

When I first had male pattern baldness and was a slightly diffuse NW2 I kept my hair longer (about 3-4 inches long) as it looked a little better - covered up the temples. Unfortunately I'd never heard of finasteride and receded/diffused to a NW4. Now I am envious of people who can grow their hair longer than an inch long. ^_^

Did you die it on some of the pictures? It looks darker in some.

bben

Reaction score

Yeah my hair does look a lot better then in that one! But I do think the hair cut is mainly responsible for that.

I haven't dyed my hair in any of these pics, the colour difference is probably the lighting.

bben

Reaction score

Just thought I'd update again. I've been doing this for around 11 months now and I think I am now worse off then before. I think my temples have really receded a lot they seem very thin now more so then when I started. I've also noticed the top sides of my head are quite thin as well. I'll try and take some pics to keep track of everything.

I'm not sure if this isn't a seasonal thread? It was around this time I went to the derm because my hair was getting rapidly worse. Will the hair from a shed come back?

I've ordered a derma roller off eBay because I've been reading a thread here viewtopic.php?f=23&t=32768 which got me interested in it.

Also I've been thinking of doubling my dose of finasteride to see if that helps? I'm on 1/4 fincar at the moment and don't have any sides at all. Would doubling it help?

I'd really appreciate any advice to get through this shed. Thanks guys.

bben

Reaction score

So here are some pics of what's left of my hair :(

Any chance of getting it back after a shed like this? I don't know whether to drop what I'm using at the moment & change it completely or just try adding other stuff to it (Fluridil for example)...

For some reason the photos have uploaded sideways lol the hairless patch on the first photo is my temple and not the crown.
[attachment=1:19bf9jon]IMG_2002.JPG[/attachment:19bf9jon]
[attachment=0:19bf9jon]1photo.JPG[/attachment:19bf9jon]

Attachments

• IMG_2002.JPG
    IMG_2002.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 242
  • 1photo.JPG
    1photo.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 208

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Re: BBen's Story New 11 month update p4 - hair getting worse :(

Irishpride (he might be in success stories) has had great results with minoxidil, but then the past 2 months his hair shed HORRIBLY, now he seems to be showing regrowth again.

You might want to talk to him about what he's doing.

bben

Reaction score
Re: BBen's Story New 11 month update p4 - hair getting worse :(

Yeah I have been following his threads, I'll take another look at them see what he's using at the moment.

I've just cut my hair short again and now I think maybe this shed I'm on isn't as bad as I thought and that I may be seeing some results after all. :)

The angles aren't quite the same but compare these to the ones from the previous page (my hair is a bit longer on those ones) and I don't think things have gotten any worse.

[attachment=2:1ryqje8w]IMG_2017.JPG[/attachment:1ryqje8w]

I've had a bald spot for as long as I can remember so I doubt there's much hope of filling it in. Even my 12yo brother has a similar spot on the back of his head so I think that's just how our hair is in our family.
[attachment=1:1ryqje8w]IMG_2026.JPG[/attachment:1ryqje8w]

[attachment=0:1ryqje8w]IMG_2027.JPG[/attachment:1ryqje8w]

Attachments

• IMG_2017.JPG
    IMG_2017.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_2026.JPG
    IMG_2026.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_2027.JPG
    IMG_2027.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 250

bben

Reaction score
Re: BBen's Story - (new 11 month photo update p4)

A quick update my hair is now worse than ever, it's my own fault though. Over the past few months I have been very stressed because of a few things and have missed a lot of treatments.

Now that things are a bit less stressful and I want to get back onto the regime consistently again but I have no money :( I've got about a weeks supply of finasteride & a few applications worth of minoxidil and then I'll be using nothing for at least two months until I have a bit of cash spare... I will keep needling though as it does give a thicker appearance IMO and I think it may even help the shedding a little.

My temples are terrible now and look really thin at any angle or lighting, I just hope that when I hit the regime again I will get some regrowth...

Anyway if you are thinking of quitting or missing a few applications don't. Otherwise you'll be in the same situation as me where you'll have to start from zero again.

bben

Reaction score

Now that it's getting warmer I won't be able to wear my hat all the time :( I'm going to try getting back into sorting my hair out. I'm going to give Miconazole a try as I've seen quite a lot about this lately. Will hopefully start updating this thread with pictures soon.

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Dude, your last photos show HUGE improvement. Whatever you do, don't stop taking finasteride! Even if you can't afford minoxidil, just stay on the finasteride so you can keep your results! Sell your car or do whatever you can to afford it, but don't stop taking it. You can lose irreversible ground from taking inconsistent doses. It's working great for you, but if you don't keep taking it, you will be worse than baseline in no time!

bben

Reaction score

I've already been on very inconsistent doses, I completely ran out just over a month ago now... :( I will try to order some soon, but I think I've already lost quite a lot of hair since stopping.

bben

Reaction score

I thought it was about time I updated so here goes...

As I wrote in my last message, I ran out of finasteride & minoxidil in January. I finally got back on to both about 5 months ago. Since Christmas I've been pretty much shaving my head every couple of days and after getting used to it, it looked quite good and hid my hair loss well.

Just over a month ago I switched from foam to kirkland minoxidil as it's easier to get here in France & a lot cheaper. In the past two weeks I've been shedding a fair bit but I'm hoping it'll stop and grow back. I have noticed quite a few fine hairs popping up on my temples lately.

Here's a pic I've just taken after shaving my head again.
[attachment=0:5bg2falg]IMG_3591_resized.png[/attachment:5bg2falg]

As I've got pretty used to the shaved look I'm going to really try to stick to my regimen until December and then try growing it out longer and see how it looks.

My current regimen is:
1.25g fincar everyday
minoxidil 5% morning & night
Revita shampoo every other day

I've only been using the shampoo for about a month so too soon to say if it helps.

Attachments

• IMG_3591_resized.png
    IMG_3591_resized.png
    433.5 KB · Views: 196