Bender81's story - (pic inside)

Bender81

Reaction score
Hi, I'm 25 and I've slowly been losing my hair for several years now. So gradually in fact that I never realized how bad it got 'till about last year. I foolishy tried some products without doing enough research (Provillus which I saw no results in 4 months, and Nioxin which I liked but didn't help with only Provillus). I'm now thinking about the Big 3, but am currently in Korea so having some difficulty with it.

I found a Korean brand of Minoxidil 5%, 150ml for about $40US. Propecia/proscar is around, but I need to get a prescription and I don't really have the money for it anyways. I tried looking for Nizoral, but I realize now I should be looking/asking for shampoo with Ketoconazole. I couldn't find Rogaine at all, but when I asked for minoxidil there it was! Here's a pic I took recently:

Pretty bad eh? =\ I'm Asian too if that matters. Think Minoxidil alone could help? I'll keep looking for a Ketoconazole shampoo and hopefully will be able to get some finasteride eventually. Was even thinking about that amazing laser brush... couldn't hurt. For now I'm going to start minoxidil asap since it's available, and maybe saw palmetto (if I can find it here) 'cause it's cheap and helps inhibit DHT from what I've read. Also where would I be on the Norwood scale? My hair's been thinning all over the top so I can't really tell. Anyways, thanks in advance for any help!

Sean68

Reaction score
you may want to consider getting that cut significantly shorter or buzzed. i think it would look better. id also suggest a finasteride/dutasteride and minoxidil combo. try and find the the regaine foam if you can its better than the generic liquid.
everythings not lost by the way mate ive seen plenty of good results friom similar hair to yours but id say the minoxidil foam is must.

Bender81

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the quick replies. I just looked up dutasteride and it's supposed to be as good or better than finasteride? How come I don't hear about it much, more expensive or worse side effects?

Any thoughts on amazing laser brush or Norwood scale? As for cutting my hair usually it's shorter than this, really short actually. I have an odd head shape though not suitable for shaving unfortunately. =( Also does foam give better results than liquid minoxidil? Might be hard to get foam in Korea 'cause there's less options for this kinda stuff, unless I order online of course. Probably gonna start with liquid first though. Anyways, I'll take as many opinions on my situation as I can get. I wish I was this proactive about this 2 years ago... I think I was in major denial and other people don't wanna bring up these things and mention it to ya. >.<

Sean68

Reaction score
its because dutasteride isnt fda approved for hairloss even though its more potent its still classed as a prostate drug. youll have to get used to buying online its how i and most other people get pretty much everything.

G

Jesus........

I will be honest with you. Norwood is hard to judge since I can´t see any hairline (maybe because there is none left.....). I would say between Norwood 4 and 5.

You need to get on treatments immediately to save what can still be saved.

Your first step is to inhibit that DHT. I recommend dutasteride since it is more effective than Propecia/Proscar and your hairloss seems to be very agressive. Mine is agressive too and I am also switching to dutasteride soon since I am still balding after 10 months on finasteride.
You will have to order dutasteride somehow over the Internet. Don´t know how you can do that in Asia.

The next step: minoxidil, I recommend the Rogaine Foam or maybe the more expensive Spectral DNC. Maybe find out yourself what you like.

A Ket-Shampoo may be some bonus, but nothing really more.

And forget about that Laser thing or Saw Palmetto. Stick with proven treatments. Good Luck, mate!

klink

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think you should plan on doing big3, but plan out your attack so you can stick with it. If money is an issue, I'd look at what you can afford and go from there. You have to use shampoo regardless, and good 1-2% nizoral needs only to be used every 72 hours, so I do every other day. As for min, I'd do the foam, it works, and it's easy to use. As far as finasteride goes, well if you are broke try to get the proscar stuff and cut it up. I might myself consider using proscar at some point since propecia has become very expensive.

A month in, your hair will look better, and it's a nice boost. By the end of the second month, you might have a shed and freak out. Don't quit, power through it. Once you get past the shed your hair will look even better. The nice thing about the foam is that it styles good too.

Look at my pics, and look at the top has filled in. When I take my pics, I don't style my hair to make the crown look better, but in REAL life, I style it and nobody notices that it's diffuse right there.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
I am gonna be honest with you. Your hair loss is pretty bad, and you cant afford to waste any time. Get on the big 3 right away and hope for the best.

GL man

Bender81

Reaction score
I bought a Korean brand of 5% minoxidil (150ml for about $40) and generic 2% nizoral (90ml $9) yesterday. Going to start those 2 now and use nizoral shampoo 3x a week. I should leave the shampoo in for 5minutes? Also, is there anything non-prescription I can take to help inhibit DHT? I know it won't be nearly as effective as finasteride or dutasteride, but just temporarily. Thanks again.

TheHairGrower

Established Member
Reaction score
natural anti DHT's,

saw palmetto, lots of onions, in diet or rubed on scalp, MSM found in onions,

MSM supplement, and just research the good vitamins to take.

nissim shampoo is great on ebay, plus daily scalp massages, and rubbing knuckles against scalp to cause redness (bloodflow)

remember hair will grow back according to the last hairs that fell out. the last hairs that fell out will grow back first, so work (focus) on those areas.

blondeguy

Established Member
Reaction score
Bender81 said:
As for cutting my hair usually it's shorter than this, really short actually. I have an odd head shape though not suitable for shaving unfortunately. =(

Everybody thinks that about their heads until they shave it. I see nothing unusual about your head shape in the picture you posted. Just something to think about.

G

blondeguy said:
Bender81 said:
As for cutting my hair usually it's shorter than this, really short actually. I have an odd head shape though not suitable for shaving unfortunately. =(

Everybody thinks that about their heads until they shave it. I see nothing unusual about your head shape in the picture you posted. Just something to think about.

Exactly. I think my head shape is frigging weird but I've definitely seen weirder heads even on people who are bald by choice! And they don't mind it... so why should I?

IBM

Reaction score
I'll be honest with you. You should shave it. You hairloss is very bad.

I think only the Big 3 is not enough.

You need hardcore stuff. Consider Oral Spironolactone 100 mg at minimum.

The risks are high. Low libido, boobs, low ejectulation, etc...

Read socks and baldisbeautiful stories and search 'Oral spironolactone Knowledge Thread'.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
In Korea, balding rate is really low right?

Guys there seem to have great hair.

Bender81

Reaction score
My head is really long from the profile view. I can't even wear baseball caps 'cause they don't fit properly due to my head shape, lol. That's why I don't think I'd look good with a shaved head.

As for men in Korea, ya guys my age all have long thick sets of hair. Makes it even harder for me to swallow. :(

WorldofWarcraft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Taug,

If your hair was in similar shape, how would you cope?

RaginDemon

Reaction score
WorldofWarcraft said:
Taug,

If your hair was in similar shape, how would you cope?

I would like to know as well.

IBM

Reaction score
well i would shave and send everything to sh*t. I would be lazy and care about nothing. I would be an asian stoner.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
IBM said:
well i would shave and send everything to $#iT. I would be lazy and care about nothing. I would be an asian stoner.

What's the status of the psychiatric appointment you committed to last week? Please advise.