Best Topical DHT blocker?

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan is already bald... I'm not sure why he's still here. Join slybaldguys or something.
He's here just to play "google scientist" and start fights with Jacob.

BRYAN GO AWAY

maximiliandreams

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan is owned again. :punk:

jassi12

Reaction score
To get back on topic, if I take 1.25 mg of finasteride every other day, is it still quite efficient? Just to ensure the lower dosage/week. Since I'd be splitting Proscar 5mg into a max of 4 peices.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
majorsixth said:
Bryan said:
LOL!! Who would be stupid enough to argue medical issues with a DOCTOR, and who calls himself "majorsixth" on a hairloss forum? :laugh:

Do you really believe you can hide your real intention behind this rubbish ? [obnoxious profanity deleted]

So what do you think is my "real intention", Boopy?

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
jassi12 said:
To get back on topic, if I take 1.25 mg of finasteride every other day, is it still quite efficient? Just to ensure the lower dosage/week. Since I'd be splitting Proscar 5mg into a max of 4 peices.

IIRC, taking finasteride EOD gives you about half a day where 5ARI isn't inhibited. I'm not sure how much this would actually raise your DHT, but you aren't really getting the full therapeutic effect this way.

Rather than 1.25mg EOD, I would say do 0.625 every day. Even at this lower dosage, you are still getting almost the same inhibition amount as 1.25mg.

It would be difficult to cut a proscar pill into 8ths, but possible with a thin exacto blade and possibly a magnifying glass. If your cuts aren't perfect, don't worry; I believe even 1/16th of a proscar pill will still give you the same inhibition as 1/4 (or even a whole pill).

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
jassi12 said:

Sure, it's pretty efficient. Lots of people over the years have taken similar intermittent doses of finasteride.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Wuffer said:
IIRC, taking finasteride EOD gives you about half a day where 5ARI isn't inhibited. I'm not sure how much this would actually raise your DHT, but you aren't really getting the full therapeutic effect this way.

After taking a single dose of finasteride, DHT levels stay suppressed for up to a week or two, as levels of the 5a-reductase type 2 enzyme slowly return to normal. I think the "therapeutic effect" of taking a finasteride dose every other day is almost certainly good enough.

Bob Chylan

Reaction score
Wuffer said:
jassi12 said:

Rather than 1.25mg EOD, I would say do 0.625 every day. Even at this lower dosage, you are still getting almost the same inhibition amount as 1.25mg.

It would be difficult to cut a proscar pill into 8ths, but possible with a thin exacto blade and possibly a magnifying glass. If your cuts aren't perfect, don't worry; I believe even 1/16th of a proscar pill will still give you the same inhibition as 1/4 (or even a whole pill).

Excuse me for my ignorance, but what does EOD stand for?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
"EOD" mean "every other day".

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I may have been thinking about the medication half life, where most if not all the medication is out of your system after 1.5 days. Of course, this doesn't necessarily mean 5ARI will return DHT to normal levels in this time.. So there you go, EOD should be fine if it's going to save you some money!

abcdefg

Reaction score
How many mg of propecia to inhibit 10-20% of DHT? I want small amount to see how it works and my personal guess is my DHT and T are pretty low already so I suspect I do not need anywhere near full dose.

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
abcdefg said:
How many mg of propecia to inhibit 10-20% of DHT? I want small amount to see how it works and my personal guess is my DHT and T are pretty low already so I suspect I do not need anywhere near full dose.

Why would you even bother? Chances are even if you could hit 10-20% DHT inhibition you wouldn't really see any results. There is an extremely fine line between inhibiting 0% DHT and 65% DHT, I think it sits somewhere around 0.02mg. This is pretty tricky to do, and you won't know for certain if you have hit the 10-20% DHT inhibition unless you are taking hormonal tests to confirm. Everybody will be different, so you can't tell for certain how much effect it is having on you unless you can test your blood.

jassi12

Reaction score
Ok so I got my Generic Proscar prescription and plan to fill it as soon as my free testosterone blood work is done. I just want to be as safe as possible in terms of side effects and what not. Has anyone been able to cut proscar into more then 4 peices? And how many?

Also, just want to confirm, if I want to take 1.25mg of finasteride only EOD, is it still quite as effective as daily? I'm a diffuse thinner all over so was it smart to start with finasteride or should i go with minoxidil? Also now if I do take finasteride, should I add in minoxidil right away or avoid the life time commitment and mess and wait attleast 6 months to see some results from finasteride first?\

Suggestions and answers pleasee! A very big thank you.

Bob Chylan

Reaction score
jassi12 said:
Ok so I got my Generic Proscar prescription and plan to fill it as soon as my free testosterone blood work is done. I just want to be as safe as possible in terms of side effects and what not. Has anyone been able to cut proscar into more then 4 peices? And how many?

Also, just want to confirm, if I want to take 1.25mg of finasteride only EOD, is it still quite as effective as daily? I'm a diffuse thinner all over so was it smart to start with finasteride or should i go with minoxidil? Also now if I do take finasteride, should I add in minoxidil right away or avoid the life time commitment and mess and wait attleast 6 months to see some results from finasteride first?\

Suggestions and answers pleasee! A very big thank you.

I currently cut the 5mg tablet into 6 pieces. I cut it in half and then cut each half into thirds. It does not come out exactly perfect every time, but most of the time is good enough

jassi12

Reaction score
And that is with a pill splitter ofc? Also if your a diffuse thinner, wiill it grow back hair in areas? I'm not really bald specifically anywhere, but my just above my hairline and the crown and slightly the sides have thinned.

Bob Chylan

Reaction score
jassi12 said:
And that is with a pill splitter ofc? Also if your a diffuse thinner, wiill it grow back hair in areas? I'm not really bald specifically anywhere, but my just above my hairline and the crown and slightly the sides have thinned.

i just use a razor blade...ive been meaning to buy a pill splitter, but i can only seem to find ones that cut pills into half

jassi12

Reaction score
Ah okay, I guess I could do that, is it posible for you to cut the pills any further but you choose not to? And has anyone that takes creatine noticed its supposed inflation of DHT cause problems with finasteride?

Bob Chylan

Reaction score
jassi12 said:
Ah okay, I guess I could do that, is it posible for you to cut the pills any further but you choose not to? And has anyone that takes creatine noticed its supposed inflation of DHT cause problems with finasteride?

ive heard of some people cutting it into 8ths, but i have hard enough time cutting it into 6ths so i wont bother with that personally. As to creatine, I am not sure with the studies on that. I used to take pure creatine at one point as well as no explode which has it at another point. So i am not sure if it is the creatine it self or the working out that would increase the dht levels (because these are used as workout supplements)

jassi12

Reaction score
So can anyone thats used finasteride 1.25 every other day possibly give some input on their results? Especially if your a general diffuse thinner all over?

Just wanting to be 100% sure of what my regime, is the EOD method nearly just as effective? Atleast for starters, to see how you cope with possible sides?