Body dysmorphic disorder patients see details, not whole fac

Cassin

Reaction score
CNN) -- Some people check their appearance in any mirror, window or computer screen they can find, but not out of vanity. It's because they hate the way they look so much.

An obsession with one or more bodily features, normally in the face, indicates a condition called body dysmorphic disorder. This mental illness, which leads some patients to seek multiple plastic surgeries, is not uncommon; 1 to 2 percent of the population is thought to have it. But most people who have the disorder don't get a diagnosis; they just think they are ugly, said Dr. Jamie Feusner psychiatrist at the University of California, Los Angeles.

Some celebrities have BDD, but few have been public about it, Feusner said. He and colleagues have treated celebrities at UCLA, but cannot disclose which ones.

"Everyone else would consider them attractive -- they don't consider themselves attractive," he said.

It turns out that people with this condition have abnormal brain function when it comes to looking at pictures of their own faces, according to a new study led by Feusner and published in the Archives of General Psychiatry.

When viewing themselves in photographs, patients with BDD underutilize parts of the brain used in seeing the face's overall shape and size, he said.

"If you just see the pieces of your face, and not seeing how they fit into the whole, then it's going to look distorted," he said. "That's how we interpret the findings."

Researchers used functional magnetic resonance imaging to look at the brains of participants as they viewed photographs of their own faces and familiar faces. Subjects viewed pictures that were high spatial resolution (showing details such as skin blemishes), and low spatial resolution (showing the general shape of the face), and unaltered.

The findings showed that when the BDD patients viewed normal and low-resolution photos of themselves, they had abnormal brain activity in visual processing systems. Also, the part of the brain that helps guide behavior and maintain emotional flexibility, the frontostriatal systems, had unusual activation patterns.

"What we think may be happening is that they may be seeing details, perhaps even seeing details normally, but that they're not able to contextualize it," he said.

Although the sample size is small -- 17 patients with BDD and 16 healthy people participated -- for a functional imaging study a 32-person subject group is reasonable, experts say.

The study is "groundbreaking" in its demonstration that patients with BDD are too focused on the details aren't able to see the whole picture when they see themselves, said Sabine Wilhelm, director of the BDD Clinic and Research Unit at Massachusetts General Hospital, who was not involved in the study. This can be observed anecdotally in treatment, but this study confirms it at the level of brain processing, she said.

Feusner's previous research found that when BDD patients viewed the faces of other people -- not their own faces -- the brain's left hemisphere, associated with categorization and details, was more more active. Healthy individuals used the right hemisphere, the part of brain that processes more holistically.

It is too early to directly apply the findings to treatment, but one possibility is that patients with BDD could be retrained to see their own faces, he said.

Treatments available today for BDD include medications called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, also used for depression and anxiety disorders, and cognitive behavioral therapy, Wilhelm said. She also sees implications for treatment in the study's findings.

"What we need to do in cognitive behavioral therapy treatment development is to really enhance efforts at teaching patients how to see the big picture," she said.

Many people with BDD will try to have what they perceive as flaws -- pimples, scars, birthmarks, or other features -- surgically or dermatologically removed. But plastic surgery almost never fixes their unhappiness about their appearance: 81 percent are dissatisfied with results of cosmetic treatments, Wilhelm said.

"The problem is really on the inside, it's not what they really look like," Wilhelm said.

Besides seeking surgeries, other symptoms include frequent camouflage with makeup, compulsive picking of skin, and asking for reassurance from others, she said. People with BDD may also check their reflection to the point of endangering themselves while driving while looking at themselves in the rearview mirror, she said.

The likelihood of attempting suicide or being hospitalized is high among BDD patients. Not enough research has been done on the subject to determine whether BDD is the results of genes, environment, or some combination thereof. It is unclear which of these pathways led to the brain abnormalities found in the study, Feusner said.

Some brain patterns seen in BDD are also associated with obsessive compulsive disorder, although BDD is probably not a form of it, Feusner said. People with OCD tend to recognize that their fears and behaviors are excessive, whereas BDD patients are more delusional and are convinced that the ugliness they perceive in themselves in real.

BDD is also different than eating disorders because it is purely about an imagined appearance and not eating habits, Wilhelm said.

But Feusner does suspect a connection between BDD and anorexia, and his next project is a brain imaging study comparing patients with the two conditions. If you are interested in participating in this study, contact Feusner's lab.

Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/02/01/bo ... l?hpt=Sbin

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I have a feeling the percentage of those who have BDD is slightly higher than 1-2 percent. In this forum, that percentage is extremely high. I really don't like the fact that one solution is to take anti-depressants. I would want a more natural approach. Honestly, staying away from mirrors as much as possible and keeping yourself occupied with unselfish acts does help some. However, I think once you have BDD, you will always have it. I think the key is to surround yourself with people who are positive and nonjudgemental. For some reason, that is not so easy since most people like to judge just to "feel better" about themselves. Mostly everyone is this forum thinks the world is judging them based upon how much hair they have on their head. Its very sad that we think this way. Most of the younger poster's need to realize that your "youth" is a gift. Enjoy your youth as much as you can with or without hair. Because once it starts slipping away, you will realize how much time you wasted thinking about your hair instead of enjoying the best part of your life.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Dudemon, you don't have BDD. Just super low self-esteem because you don't like the results of your hair transplant. You have also convinced yourself you are a pathetic loser which in "your frame of mind" and "your definition" of loser is true. Basically, you don't like what you see in the mirror. You also believe society has outcasted you because you are ugly. I think if you did some volunteer work in Haiti, you will find people will respect you regardless of how you look. You dwell too much in your past failures that you will never slap out of your "dismal reality". The only solution to your problem is to find someone who accepts you as you are in "all your glory". I guess if its meant to happen it will and if not, you will always remain on the same island for the rest of your life. Unfortunately for me, I am stuck on my own island and still waiting to get rescued some day.

Smooth

Experienced Member
Reaction score
dudemon said:
I'm pretty sad I know, and pathetic - yep - that's me, a complete, pathetic loser.

No one thinks that other then you!
the fact is you do things that most people dont, you study hard and have great grades (iirc you said once your the top of the class!), you work at the gym, you try to improve yourself rather then dwell on your "hair situation" most people would sink in a huge depration and evoid doing anything, your aware of the reality and i think that the fact you dont give up shows a great deal about you.... just relax, and stop think your a loser cause you anything but!

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
As a BDD sufferer I think it is a lot more complicated then that. A lot of the problems stem from probably childhood. I am an attractive guy, or so I get told but because I wasn't during my teen years, that is why BDD was allowed to develop.

Honestly, the only way to destroy BDD in my honest opinion is through social conditioning, not drugs. If someone is told they are ugly constantly, the likelyhood is they will believe that, however if they are told they are good looking AND this is backed with success with women, then they will start to see otherwise. It's a catch 22 situation with that said, because you can't be good with women if you cannot accept yourself. A lack of confidence and low self esteem is easily sensed by women too, just by the energy you give off around them. Women think with their emotions, and that is the wave you have to ride i.e. if you come across as stiff and uptight, she will feel uncomfortable being around you and runnnnnnn away. If you are energetic and happy, you will make her feel happy, causing her to come back to you for more due to attraction being generated.

Hairloss is a tricky one, because your look changes with it - even if the recession is minor, which is the case for me. With this, I think another thing that helps is if you carry the mindset "I am not the best looking guy in the world (even if you are hot) AND it is my personality which is why people like me". Also developing a tough skin is crucial...got lucky on the weekend, but had been rejected 4 times before this - I was persistent.

With the above in mind, it is hardly surprising most of the guys on here, their number one complaint is that they can't get a girl. That's precisely the problem...to much emphasis is put onto how the girl perceives you, rather, it should be "I am a charming guy, even if you don't find me hot... f*** you, if you don't think I am hot other girls do"

It's all in the head.

Thickandthin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I had BDD because of my acne when I was a teenager and did not look at my face in a mirror for over a year. I would cover up my face with one hand so I could style my hair, but I never looked at my face below the eyes.

I've also noticed that if I only catch a quick glance of myself in the mirror, I see a handsome guy and not all of my individual flaws that I usually concentrate on.

Obsidian

Reaction score
Cassin said:
erceive as flaws -- pimples, scars, birthmarks, or other features -- surgically or dermatologically removed. But plastic surgery almost never fixes their unhappiness about their appearance: 81 percent are dissatisfied with results of cosmetic treatments, Wilhelm said.

"The problem is really on the inside, it's not what they really look like," Wilhelm said.

THIS

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think this describes me. I was unhappy about the way i looked before baldness came on to the picture and would look in the mirror often even when i was 6 years old.

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I actually don't think a lot of people here have BDD. I don't really associate the traumatic experience of losing hair with BDD.

BDD sounds like basically attractive/normal looking people who obsess over a pimple or a scar. I think the feelings people have about hair loss are something completely different.

And Dudemon is right - some people are just dealt sh*t cards in life, have bad genetics, and are straight up ugly. This is how evolution works. We're lucky we are humans and at least have "personality" we can use to win a mate. In the wild if you're born with sh*t genetics you don't mate. You die alone and don't pass on your genetics.

God, I hate good looking people :innocent:

Edit: I don't actually hate good looking people, only the ones who are stuck up, judgmental and conditioned to expect everything in life to come easy.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
treeshrew said:
I actually don't think a lot of people here have BDD. I don't really associate the traumatic experience of losing hair with BDD.

BDD sounds like basically attractive/normal looking people who obsess over a pimple or a scar. I think the feelings people have about hair loss are something completely different.

Alot of the posters on here obsess over their hair and those who chose to post their face are always normal or above average looking. And most of these people I am talking about are never past a NW3. Most are either a NW1 or NW2. And if you don't think these people have BDD, then I guess I don't have it either. What a relief. All this time, I thought I had BDD. Now I come to realize I was just having a traumatic experience because I am losing my hair. :bravo:

Boondock

Reaction score
I would also add that, even for those who are legitimately non-good looking, their approach to the issue often borders on the psychologically unsound.

If you're not the best looking guy, that's a pretty tough break. But it doesn't follow that you should beat yourself up about it day after day after day, and refuse to even look at yourself in the mirror. I know plenty of ugly people who aren't exactly happy about it, but at least aren't spending their lives bullying themselves over it. It's not a plus point to your life, but it doesn't make sense to obsess over it 24/7.

superfrankie

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
BDD is also different than eating disorders because it is purely about an imagined appearance

I suffered from terrible acne when I was 16-17 years old, almost always avoided mirrors that time. Did I Imagine I was ugly back then? No. Why? Cause I looked like a vulcano back then and got comments for it, thats why.

After my accutane treatment everything was okay again. No problems looking in the mirror. Cause I was back where I was before! A handsome dude and got compliments for it.

Now my acne is starting to come back. I take accutane for it and also Im a Norwood 5 now and look like sh*t and get comments for it. Am I imagine things? No. Do I have BDD? NO. Why? cause I no longer get compliments and get negative comments about my hairshoe from people around me. So dont tell me I have BDD cause I spend 24 hours whishing I had a NW1 again. I dont consider myself as a monster, no no. But I cant see a young 21y old lad either when I wake up and look in the mirror. More like a 51 years old lad. Its hard to try to change view and try to se "the whole picture" when your lack of hair affects your WHOLE PICTURE so much. And that is not imagination. But sometimes I wish I had BDD, but I know thats not the case.

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
DoctorHouse said:
If you don't think these people have BDD, then I guess I don't have it either.

No, I don't think they, or you, have BDD.

For the people who are past NW4, they are obsessing over a traumatic experience, not BDD. For the people who are NW1 and NW2, they are still in the "shock" phase everyone goes through when they first realize they are losing hair.

BDD is a physical abnormality of the brain, not something that all of a sudden manifests itself when someone starts losing hair.

superfrankie

Established Member
Reaction score
DoctorHouse said:
Enjoy your youth as much as you can with or without hair. Because once it starts slipping away, you will realize how much time you wasted thinking about your hair instead of enjoying the best part of your life.

Its a bit of a dilemma here since Its hard to live out your youth when youre not feeling young on the outside. Sometimes I feel like a 51 y old dude trying to live out my youth. Does it make any sense? :dunno:

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Youth does not necessarily mean how you look. Let put it this way, your body is no way close to what a 51 year old man feels. You tend to have more aches and pains as you get older and your memory starts to go. Not only that but your sexual organs when not impaired by Propecia should definitely be working much better than a 51 year old man. No matter how many men I have seen balding at an early age, they may look 5 to 10 years old but nothing like a 51 year old man.

s.a.f

Reaction score
I think experiences can trigger off BDD its a psychological issue.
With me I think bullying in my youth made feel feel that I was somehow a lesser or unworthy person, back then I even wore glasses and was the only kid in class to do so, but I dont remember feeling bothered by it even with the insults like "four eyes" ect and then after the years of bullying took their toll, I think when I started to lose my hair that just gave me something to focus on.
But everyone is different I know people who may be NW7 or who may be 300lbs or may be 5'3" but dont seem to care whilst for other people any slight problem with their appearance is devastating.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I agree with s.a.f. I was bullied alot as well by my brother and other kids at school and it left "psychological scars" that cause me to focus on certain aspects of my physical appearance. When I was younger, the buffed tanned guys with great hair and great skin who had great confidence always seemed the most popular with the women. Even with the media today, that still holds true. So my BDD stems from that. We live in a society where everything is based on genetic perfection. And you have to go thru life with dealing with genetic blessings and genetic curses. Its the genetic curses like balding, acne, shortness, and fatness that most people dwell on. And when the elite are blessed with all including good looks, its hard to associate yourself with these "elite" lucky males or females. However, most of the elite are never really humble. , Alot of these elite males or females who end up using their looks to an advantage end up as either models or become actors. And then society, strikes back by accusing them of having gay tendencies or drug habits. I remember when growing up, I used to always hear women say, that guy is gorgeous but he is probably gay. What a waste. And for women, if a guy sees a gorgeous woman, we assume she has been "around the block" alot since she can get any guy so she is probably a sl*t. Its funny how everyone wants to be among the elite but they don't realize their can be consequences. Same thing with people who are successful, those who are not just want to steal from them. And when you were first blessed with a full head of hair and your cursed genetics start to steal it all away, you end up finding a forum like this to seek salvation and focus on your hair and other people's hair for the rest of your life. Maybe, obsessions about certain things does not constitute having BDD. However, from what I have read, I can honestly admit I definitely border on BDD/OCD. Most of this all stemmed from my lifetime experiences.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
I think BDD is a bi-product of a media driven society that normalizes perfection to the point where people think there is something wrong with themselves if they don't look like that. They've distorted our self perception to sell products. But however fascinating this disorder is, it shouldn't be used to explain the discontent of people who suffer from physically real issues that can be seen by everyone. Cassin says that girls with eating disorders are different then those with BDD because their images aren't imagined?! Many of these girls literally see themselves as 200+ lbs when they look in the mirror so it is not very different. Sure, you could get into how reality or perception of reality is subjective but you can't use it the other way around to try and convince an NW6 man or a 300lb woman that it is all in there heads.