Bryan, Old Baldy: I think I found cheap GLA

Old Baldy

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
Old Baldy. You don't need the pure stuff. You don't even need GLA. ALA, some long omega-3's, linoleic acid, and even oleic acid are good too. And oleic acid is a good AR blocker. You just need to remove the glycerol from the fatty acids and don't have to separate them.

I tried to freeze the product to crystalize out the water, but the whole thing just frooze at -10 F. It melten in the bottle in my hand when I took it out. Still looks cloudy. I wonder if The HCL needs more time to react, or a higher amount. I can put the product back in a flask and add more acid and try again today. There has to be an easy way to do it. Maybe it needs to be hotter.

You're getting over my head College. I don't know how you would do what you are attempting to do.

I know that when making soap, the glycerin rises to the top. But that's the extent of my knowledge with this sort of thing. :oops:

If you find an easy way to "purify" the oleic acid, I'd love to know that. Good luck!

You can buy linoleic acid here, (look how the prices differ based on grades of product). Type in linoleic acid in the product name box.

https://citychem.readyhosting.com/searchResults.asp

powersam

Reaction score
wow, thats a really interesting patent. so is it really the expense of getting pure fatty acids that has stopped anyone making a product containing a high percentage of them?

i have to take it with a grain of salt of course, because most patents i've read have promised the world. The Regenix patent for one..

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Old Baldy said:
If you find an easy way to "purify" the oleic acid, I'd love to know that. Good luck!

OB, I'd really like to know why you were warning everybody so strongly a while back not to use oleic acid!

Bryan

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
powersam said:
wow, thats a really interesting patent. so is it really the expense of getting pure fatty acids that has stopped anyone making a product containing a high percentage of them?

That's a good question, and one can only speculate on why the use of topical fatty acids hasn't been used anywhere else (except in Revivogen?).

The expense might be one factor, although it shouldn't be really all THAT bad if you do it the way Revivogen does it, which is to de-esterify natural oils en masse. Maybe researchers at companies nearly had heart attacks when they looked at the cost of purified single fatty acids like GLA! :)

Maybe an even more serious problem is the stability issue. Those highly unsaturated fatty acids are very prone to oxidation, especially GLA with its three carbon double-bonds. That problem is a tough nut to crack.

powersam said:
i have to take it with a grain of salt of course, because most patents i've read have promised the world. The Regenix patent for one..

I'll remind everybody that that patent was by Shutsung Liao, who is a legitimate scientist/researcher. He is the author and co-author of several studies published in medical journals, including many of the ones on fatty acids. He's not like these various clowns you read about on hairloss sites who took out patents on crap like lysine or aloe vera juice!

Bryan

CCS

Reaction score
OK, it said 20 mg of fatty acid per 0.56 cm2 of area. So if I want to apply it to 16 square inches, that is about 100 cm2, so I need about 200x 20mg per day = 4mL of fatty acid, not counting the ethanol, twice a day.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, it said 20 mg of fatty acid per 0.56 cm2 of area.

HUH?? No, you mis-read it. It was 20 mg of fatty acid per 16 square centimeters of forehead area. 0.56 cm2 was just the area of the probe on the Sebumeter that they used for testing.

Bryan

CCS

Reaction score
Oh, good. you had me worried there. So I only need 120mg for my 100 cm2. If I use 20% in alcohol/ppg, and 1mL, that is 200mg, which should be fine.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Old Baldy said:

OB, I'd really like to know why you were warning everybody so strongly a while back not to use oleic acid!

Bryan

I don't think the stuff I buy from the Chemistry Store has the action of the free fatty acids in Revivogen. It's just too cheap. Just a gut level reaction.

I'd hate for someone to buy that stuff from the Chemistry Store thinking it would be a treatment for the DHT side of the equation. Someone would have to test it before I'd recommend that stuff.

Also, like you mentioned, oleic acid is one of the weaker fatty acids as far as reducing the effects of androgens is concerned.

Penetration enhancement from the Chemistry Store's oleic acid - yes. Free fatty acid for DHT treatment - ???????. My guess - no - not pure enough.

CCS

Reaction score
I'd agree on the cheap part if they said it was pure, but if it is 70% pure, and especially if it also had ALA or linoleic acid, I'd say it is just fine.

Separating fatty acids is cheap.

And while Oleic acid is a weaker 5ar inhibitor (still decent, though), it is the strongest AR inhibitor of the fatty acids. I think that makes it more valuable, since I already have dutasteride.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
I'd agree on the cheap part if they said it was pure, but if it is 70% pure, and especially if it also had ALA or linoleic acid, I'd say it is just fine.

Separating fatty acids is cheap.

And while Oleic acid is a weaker 5ar inhibitor (still decent, though), it is the strongest AR inhibitor of the fatty acids. I think that makes it more valuable, since I already have dutasteride.

I understand. But less than $20.00 per gallon?! :?

CCS

Reaction score
Yeah, that does not leave much of a profit margin. A gallon of corn oil is under $10. So if they just took a high oleic acid oil, and removed the glycerol, that only leaves $10 or $11, though the oil would come from wholesale not retail.

I don't know how expensive the separation is, but extracting the oil from all that corn does not seem to be too expensive.

Perhaps they just mean 50-75% oleic acid. It would be much more expensive if it was 90+%.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
And while Oleic acid is a weaker 5ar inhibitor (still decent, though), it is the strongest AR inhibitor of the fatty acids.

WHOA!! We don't know that. That latest study I quoted only tested three of them, and oleic acid was the only 18-carbon one. So we don't know about any of the others.

Bryan