captaineyes' story - (26 and hair loss on the crown)

RaginDemon

Reaction score
FlashDance said:
Have you experienced any shedding?

read his second last post. :)

captaineyes

Reaction score
I'm back!

And not because things are bad. Just because I realized how long it's been and started to feel guilty!

Things are getting better and better (slowly) every month. It's been a gradual process but I can't even compare the state I'm in today to where I was 12 months ago.

I've been on finasteride for 11 months now, Propecia for the first 9 and Proscar for the last 2. The transition seamless. Haven't skipped a beat.

Also, over the last month I started taking the pill between meals (2 hrs after breakfast and before lunch) and I don't know if that's the reason, but the improvement has been noticeable. I also take it with grapefruit juice now because I heard some rumours! I usually don't buy into that stuff but... well, things are good now! There must be a reason for them. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing! Grapefruit juice here I come!

No shed (that I'm aware of) during the transition from Propecia to Pros. I also take minox5% from the pharmacy now, it's not the Rogaine I took for the first year of that, but I haven't noticed a difference there either.

When I say it's "good", what do I really mean? Well, for those who can't stand to read my history (don't blame you one bit!) I had a balding spot before. Less and less hair every month. I've turned that around. I pretty much have hair all over the former spot now, though it's thinner and softer- but getting thicker and stronger all the time. After a shower, I look in the mirror and still have a spot, don't get me wrong, but it's not as easy to see AT ALL and it's reaching the point where it might not be visible at all soon. It's already not visible depending on the mirror and angle I'm using in there (you know what I'm talking about!). We'll see where it goes from here.

The best thing (or rather, one of them!) is the change in Toppik application. I used to pretty much OVERDOSE on the stuff because it just had so much work to do! I would apply it at least twice daily (after minoxidil) and it still wouldn't hold that well. Now it's different. It's like, after applying it post-shower, I don't have to add any more until I wash my hair again. It's so much more convenient and while a bottle used to last me 2 months tops, it now lasts at least 5-7 times as long, I would say. I just don't have to use as much anymore!

Do I have any regrets? Not yet. I'm still improving, though there's still some work to do. But if I never "fully" grow back my spot, I'll only regret not having started on the minoxidil/finasteride regimen sooner. I've been balding for about 6 years now. I used only minoxidil 2% for the first 4.5 years, before switching to minoxidil 5%. Didn't notice any improvement until I brought finasteride into the picture and from there, it took off.

I've had no side effects either. If anything, the volume of ejaculate is probably less than it was, but I can't even say that for sure so it doesn't matter. And the 'feeling' is exactly the same, anyway.

It's getting better... but it's already pretty good!

-captaineyes-

captaineyes

Reaction score
Whew, haven't been here in awhile!

Story's pretty good. Starting about a month ago I actually considered going out without any Toppik! The spot is pretty much all gone. Anyone who tells you that minoxidil and propecia are a myth is not well informed. I am living proof. Had a pretty big bald spot, started using Rog/Min5 and, presto, I'm a new man. I don't even feel like I'm the exception, either. I honestly feel like there are much better cases than mine, and I'm pretty good!

I'm facing a bit of a situation now, though. When I went in about one month ago to get a new supply of minoxidil 5%, it was a new pharmacy. I don't exactly trust pharmacies in Canada (I'm in Toronto), I've had far too many experiences with them not doing their jobs properly, so I was already skeptical. Went in to pick up my order and they gave me my 5% in 2 % boxes.

I'm like, "The prescription was for 5%."

They said, "I guess you have to trust that we mixed it. I didn't do it myself but you have to trust your pharmacist."

I would've taken exception to this but I didn't want to waste my time. I looked at the bottles over and over to find any proof that they were mixed but couldn't really find it. What's more, the odor was not as pungent as I was used to 5% being. It just looked and smelt like 2%.

Anyway, I figured, what can I do? There's no way for me to tell if it's 2% or 5%, I just have to take a chance. Never felt more scared than I did then.

Well, I'm starting to notice my hair falling out a bit again. I'm sure the pharmacist will say, "5% wasn't going to last forever," and that would be true but it doesn't mean it was supposed to stop working NOW. That would be a pretty crazy coincidence. I've come to believe that I was in fact sold 2% minoxidil since they forgot to mix it, and don't know what I should do.

Should I wait to see if my hair gets worse before I go in and order 5% again?

Should I go into the pharmacy and punch them out for being incompetent? :)

Is there any quick test I could do at home to see if it's 2% or 5%?

I don't know if I'm being paranoid or what but Toronto pharmacies have a way of doing that to you. It is remarkable how unprofessional some of them are. I may be paying for another one of their mistakes here.

If you have any suggestions, let me hear 'em! Thanks.

-captaineyes-