ChrisW1980uk's Story.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've had to knock the minoxidil on the head for now. It's just making my scalp so itchy, that I scratch until it scabs. It's still itchy now, which seems strange. I'll see if I lose any hair, and if I don't then I'll keep off it. If I do, I'll have to look into other options. I think it's the alcohol that's causing me problems

hi there
I have been using rogaine foam for 9 months and it doesn't make my scalp itchy or anything, though I do get soreness on my scalp from time to time (but this pain on my scalp has been there way before the treatment). So maybe try foam?

ChrisW1980uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I thought foam would just get caught in my hair as it's quite long, and not get to the scalp. Been off the minoxidil for over 3 weeks, now, the itching has gone completely, trying to weigh up whether to use up the bottles I have, see if I can build a tolerance to the itch!

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think we're at the same level temple wise. Just be glad you don't have that terrible thin spot on the crown haha, it's crept up to the top as well.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Chris, I would try some other types of growth stimulants. If you have itching its a sign of allergy so you may have an allergy to minoxidil. Try Capillogain tonic. It has ingredients similar to minoxidil plus other stuff in in that could help with hair loss. I quit minoxidil a year ago and I am glad I did.

ChrisW1980uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks DoctorHouse. I shall look into that. I wonder if I was getting irritation because I wash my hair every other day.

Thom, I can feel slight thinning in my crown, but it's the thinness of the first couple of inches on my hairline that bothers me more!

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah I understand that, and the worse part is that some people lose very slowly for years and then it can just all go to hell in a month. I wish I had started finasteride before age 24, my hair would be a lot more dense now. It's your length and no one can tell I've lost hair now but it's far less dense than it once was.

ChrisW1980uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I hear ya man!I wish I'd not faffed around over finasteride for a few years and just bit the bullet. One of my friends has hair a similar length, but wow is his hair dense, it's astonishing! Having said that I don't think I've seen any blokes over 22/23 with a true juvenile hairline. If mine was thicker I'd consider going shorter again, but the first couple of inches are noticeably thinner than the rest :/ still can't complain, could be a lot lot worse :)

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yep, that used to be my hair. I put the Beatle mop-tops to shame and even complained about it being too thick haha. You're right though, most guys I see have some level of recession or less density which makes me feel better about it all. I've tossed around the idea of going shorter but I'm afraid that I might have lost more hair up top and it will be noticeable. Right now my crown looks pretty good but I still dab toppik on it every morning. Some of my university classes are in an auditorium-type setting and I hate the idea of people behind/above me seeing that I've thinned haha.

We just have to hold out a few years and hopefully that cure will present itself. Balding is a curse to us young-looking guys. My Dad still looks young and he's almost 50 so I'm not holding out any hope of gaining chiseled/distinguished features with age haha.

ChrisW1980uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Too true! Like I said in my OP I've had esteem issues for such a long time, the hair was the final straw as it were! My crown would be sooooo difficult to hide being a short guy lol! My old man is 60 next year and because he's kept most of his hair (nw3 with a small bald patch he combs over, combined with thick wiry hair) he could pass for late forties. But I take after my mum's side, short, big forehead, high hairline, fine hair, so it could get ugly!

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think we all have some self esteem issues, just people like you and I are more apt to try to fix it. Always aim to better yourself I say! Thinning and stuff like that tends to make one think they are abnormal or a beta male in somehow but the truth is that "normal" doesn't exist. Even the most average guy has some quirk that sets them apart so I think as long as we embrace that we're unique it helps us see things in a brighter light. Sorry to get all hippy on you haha, I've just embraced new ways of thinking the past few weeks and have been happier than I was in high school. Yet I'm still on here so that means insecurities still exist lol.

I wish I got my mother's family hair genes! They have a lot of Native American in them which is resistant to the balding gene....but nope, in every physical and biological trait I take after my Dad's European heritage, skin cancer and all. Some of us just get the cards stacked against us in these things ha.

ChrisW1980uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've had to take off my avatar as it seems to have annoyed people. Funny how they overlook nearly 4 years on meds,every styling tip going and a major comb-forward from the back of my head. Ah lovely ...

Benjamin36

Established Member
Reaction score
I've had to take off my avatar as it seems to have annoyed people. Funny how they overlook nearly 4 years on meds,every styling tip going and a major comb-forward from the back of my head. Ah lovely ...

Here, use this:

246px-George_Costanza.jpg

ChrisW1980uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well I've hit the four year finasteride mark now. Where have the years gone?! Upon Quantum Cat's advice, I shall be enquiring with my GP about private prescriptions, when my current supply runs out. Also going to go for a shorter haircut for the first time in years, the long hair is a mither, and it's time for me to grow up a bit!

akp22191

Reaction score
Hey men, I just read your story. It seems like your hair loss story is kind of like mines. I've had self-esteem issues too, along with being depressed for 5 years and continuing. Funny how over the summer I was going to get my **** together and put the depression behind me. Everything was going well and all of a sudden it felt like the atomic bombs that were dropped on IWO JIMA just dropped on my head. **** Life lol. I'm also on the same page as concerned with the hairline and hair loss. I'm in that area where idk whether it's my mature hair locking into place or if I'm receding. I mean I notice miniaturized hairs along the front of my hairline, but then just a few centimeters behind it's all thick hair. I kind of have this delusional feeling that maybe those miniaturized hairs are the hairs from my juvenile hairline trying to grow back since I jumped on rogaine and finasteride right after I noticed the front thinning. But then I could also be delusional of thinking it's just a mature hairline, but in reality it's male pattern baldness. Idk what to do lol.

ChrisW1980uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hey there fella. I'm unsure as to what exactly is going on. But finasteride hasn't given me side effects, doesn't cost much, so am happy to continue with it, if only for peace of mind! I jsut wish I'd been able to get miniturisation mapping done before I started. Sadly I don't have pictures of me in my early 20's to compare too, which would have been helpful. What convinced me I was balding was how my temple points pretty much vanished. They are still thin, but better than not having them.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. How long have you been on finasteride and minoxidil? I stopped the minoxidil as it was messy and made my head really itchy. The thin hairs in my case are certainly thicker than they once were, but I'm too scared to have my hair short enough to see my hairline, as a fringe minimises my large forehead and hides them. It is a quandry though, thanks for you comment mate!

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hi Chris..I am sure that you will look good with shorter hair so don't worry. I was like you too when I decided to shave my head ...but you get used to your new look and people don't really notice I am balding as there is no hair to see to suspect.....anyways good luck, mate..

ChrisW1980uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thank you bud! I'm lucky to have the choice. I know my hair loss is not severe and finasteride has halted further loss. It's just a bit scary changing look, I remember when I used to love changing my look. Thanks for your post :)