ClarkLewis690's Story (Balding at 19 yrs old)

clarklewis690

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was told of this website off Yahoo Answers that it is really helpful. So I signed up and thought I'd share my story. I'm 19 years old, and recently uncovered that I have a receding hairline. My hair is thinning and falling out, and it's very depressing. I used to have a straight hairline, but now I don't. And it's getting worse. I attached a picture, but here is a link of it too just in case it didn't attach right.

http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af1 ... 0/hair.jpg

I used to spike my hair in the front, then didn't for a year. And when I wanted to this year, I saw the change. What do you guys think I should do? Is there hope for me yet? Or am I screwed? I don't think I can pull off the bald look well, my ears are kinda big. I just don't want to lose my hair at such an early age. I have been suggested Rogaine, Propecia, and other things but I don't know. Any help would be great. Thank you so much...

Attachments

• hair.jpg
    hair.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 315

irishpride86

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
don't start any treatments yet.... your hair looks fine... since your 19 you developed a mature hairline but the thickness looks the same...

amsch

Reaction score
??? said:
don't start any treatments yet.... your hair looks fine... since your 19 you developed a mature hairline but the thickness looks the same...

Oh lord... Don't listen to this "???" guy.

So you feel it's getting worse? Do you think you're losing more hair than you did before?

clarklewis690

Reaction score
Yeah I have noticed loss in thickness, and every day I get super pissed because I have loose hairs dangling in front of my eyes and they fall off. And if I like run my hand down my hair it feels much flatter than it used to. I used to have really dense hair, but now it's feeling like I don't. If I run my fingers through my hair, and kind of clench on a group (not pull, just clench), and then bring my fingers up I'll have like 3 or 4 hairs. I'm just worried man...

Here are some more examples, before and after (now)...

http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af1 ... 1254251540

^ the front of my hair, you can see the difference hanging by the temples. although i have a little bit of a different hairstyle, my bangs or whatever still are the same and they have difference in thickness by the temples then in the middle.

http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af1 ... 1254251539

^ the back of my hair, i don't think ive hit the point where im getting a bald spot. that would be really bad. but if im truly beginning to bald, i guess its only a matter of time before i hit that bump in the road. =[

thank you so much again for anything anyone contributes.

Attachments

• backhair.jpg
    backhair.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 276
  • fronthair.jpg
    fronthair.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 247

amsch

Reaction score
Ok good thing is, you still have lot of hair left. I'm pretty sure that you started balding.

How about the family? Father, grandfathers, uncles... are they bald/balding?

clarklewis690

Reaction score
My dad sort of is balding, he's almost 60 (I was a late baby in the family) but he had a full head of hair til about his mid 40's and never experienced any hair loss until then. He has no brothers, all his sisters have full heads of hair. And their kids do.

My mom has a full head of hair, and her brothers do as well. They are also almost 60. One of my uncles has the fullest head of hair I've ever seen for an older man. Though one of my cousins (different uncles kid) started to bald late 20's and now just shaves.

I never knew my grandparents, they were all dead before I was born. I haven't really seen many pictures of them, so I don't remember how they looked.

My sister has a full head of hair, but I can't really compare otherwise.

I have had a stressful 2/3 years, maybe that lead to hair loss? Idk...

amsch

Reaction score
clarklewis690 said:
My dad sort of is balding, he's almost 60 (I was a late baby in the family) but he had a full head of hair til about his mid 40's and never experienced any hair loss until then. He has no brothers, all his sisters have full heads of hair. And their kids do.

My mom has a full head of hair, and her brothers do as well. They are also almost 60. One of my uncles has the fullest head of hair I've ever seen for an older man. Though one of my cousins (different uncles kid) started to bald late 20's and now just shaves.

I never knew my grandparents, they were all dead before I was born. I haven't really seen many pictures of them, so I don't remember how they looked.

My sister has a full head of hair, but I can't really compare otherwise.

I have had a stressful 2/3 years, maybe that lead to hair loss? Idk...

Ok, now I'm pretty sure you're balding.
Don't think about the stress. It will not cause male pattern baldness.

The most effective treatment for you would be Propecia, altough it can have side effects.

clarklewis690

Reaction score
Alright man. So Rogaine won't work if I get it at Walgreens and apply it to the front? I'll look into Propecia more and probably get a prescription for it. How long does it usually take for you to lose alot of hair? Or is it different with everyone? Ah man, I look stupid with short hair. I can't even imagine what I'll look bald. This sucks. =[ Thank you for the info and help, btw.

amsch

Reaction score
clarklewis690 said:
Alright man. So Rogaine won't work if I get it at Walgreens and apply it to the front? I'll look into Propecia more and probably get a prescription for it. How long does it usually take for you to lose alot of hair? Or is it different with everyone? Ah man, I look stupid with short hair. I can't even imagine what I'll look bald. This sucks. =[ Thank you for the info and help, btw.

Rogaine may help you short-term, but it will lose it's effectivness probably soon as it does not do anything against dht (dht is the hormone that causes sensitive follicles to shrink).

If you start the propecia soon you should be able to stop hairloss. However, as said, it can have side effects for some. Best would be to try it and than stay away from the hairloss boards.

clarklewis690

Reaction score
Okay, thanks. I'll post back with updates. If there is anything else that anyone thinks I should know or try, feel free to comment. Thanks again...

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
very minimal loss IMO

but i do agree with amsch

it does look like your whole top head is thinning out

i believe if you go on treatments and have a lower stress level
your hair will fill back out

stress can very much cause hairloss
stress combined with male pattern baldness and DHT degradation
can be drastic

and once again dont listen to "???"
hes clueless

clarklewis690

Reaction score
I tried taking Saw Palmetto Extract for a little over a month cause I read it could help stop Male Pattern Balding, but it didn't do anything. =/

haunted-ballroom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You can try rogaine at the front if you want to try and grow back hair in the temples. Keep in mind though that regrowth in the temples is very rare and using rogain can be a hassle. Also, dont bother using rogaine unless you are using propecia, as someone else mentioned rogaine wont stop the balding process. Good luck

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
agree with haunted-

rogaine is not as beneficial as finasteride

although ive seen good success stories with MIN alone

finasteride and MIN have a synergistic effect
both benefit from each other
finasteride does the DHT thing
MIN does the regrowth thing

you can acquire finasteride in the form of Proscar
which is 5MG of finasteride
100 pills of 5mg finasteride is about $80 USD
you can split the pills into 4ths
lasting you over a year

MIN foam is a bit pricy at about $50 USD
for a 3 month supply (3 cans)

MIN liquid is wicked cheap online (ebay)
like 50 dollars for a years supply

i myself use the liquid at night
and foam during the day
to cut costs

going on the big 3 is quite an endeavor for you
as your hair loss is minimal/not extremely noticeable
only you can decide if these lifelong commitments
are worth it to keep you hair

i myself thought it was

clarklewis690

Reaction score
Ah okay cool. Btw what could this be if, by some chance, I'm not experiencing Male Pattern Baldness? I know that this likely is male pattern baldness, but jw...

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
fo shoooooow

it could just be an mature hairline

who knows and who can actually diagnose things
with only pictures

only you know whats actually going on
with your hair

if you think your losing it

you probably are

astros148

Established Member
Reaction score
oh give me a break, his hair looks fine. i know many people with that type of hairline at age 19 and there 25 and still look like that

irishpride86

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
BodyDysmorphic said:
fo shoooooow

it could just be an mature hairline

who knows and who can actually diagnose things
with only pictures

only you know whats actually going on
with your hair

if you think your losing it

you probably are

so first you insult me then you agree with me ???

:jackit: