Confused about hair transplant aftermath...please advise

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
chromedomefear said:
Since I'm fairly new and not extensively educated on the levels of amount of work to be done and how much hair I currently have, I'll just post some pictures. I would like to have somewhat of a hairline back....natural for my age of 34...that doesn't look like I'm "really losing my hair now". I apologize if I screw up posting the pics, I've never done this before.

IMG_1474a.jpg

IMG_1475a.jpg

IMG_1476a.jpg

IMG_1479a.jpg

IMG_1480.jpg

I would stay with strip surgery as it has much better results in large cases like yours and is much cheaper than FUE. I would guess you need about 3K grafts depending on where you want the hairline. You're most likely going to have to shave your head so I would guess about 3 weeks before you look normal again. What state are you in >?

BTW your curly hair is much better for coverage than straight hair so you have that going for you.

I would use either Shapiro or Hasson and Wong.

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Petchsky said:
Aye, seeing him in January, excited and shitting it at the same time.

You are in great hands. Do you have surgery or a consult scheduled for Jan ?

Petchsky

Reaction score
HT55 said:
Petchsky said:
Aye, seeing him in January, excited and shitting it at the same time.

You are in great hands. Do you have surgery or a consult scheduled for Jan ?

Surgeryyyyyyy, i'm going to be slit and sliced. I'm just wish i was 6 months post op so i can get on with my life, sad really, as i'm wishing part of my life away.

Devender

Established Member
Reaction score
10 days are a must minimum requirement.
If you go for fue, the scabs will be off and you could buzz cut the entire head to make it look natural by day 10.
With strip you cant do buzzcut, so you will have short hair on top and long hair on back and sides which may look odd for 1 month.
Can you wear a cap to work?

chromedomefear

Established Member
Reaction score
In my research here I'm also not seeing much about years down the road after the hair transplant. If my head gets to the point over time to be a NW7, there surely is not enough donors. Will the head be left looking like a NW7 with a patch of (transplanted hair) from the hair line and trailing back to wherever the sessions stopped?

And if at that point, or any point, it is decided to throw in the towel and shave it all off, are the scars from the previous hair transplant sessions too unsightly to reveal?

s.a.f

Reaction score
Thats the gamble, how much more hair will you lose? Not many people progress right through to NW7. Its adviseable to get omeds and wait a year to see if it halts your hairloss. And its also important to be conservative with your hairline.
There are many guys out there who've used up 50+% of their donor on a just the front 3rd to get a NW1 hairline. Some of these guys will be in deep 5h!t in the future as their hairloss progresses. A well planned hair transplant could only need to be done once.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Typo he meant on meds (medication) Finasteride/Dutasteride - drugs that inhibit your production of Dihydrotestosterone.

chromedomefear

Established Member
Reaction score
Oh....ha...thought I'd been missing something this whole time.

Its adviseable to get omeds and wait a year to see if it halts your hairloss.

Yeah, I was on Propecia for a couple/few years, and now been on Avodart for a year or so. Since Avodart my loss has gotten progressively worse, especially the past couple of months.

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If the meds don't at least halt your hair loss getting a hair transplant is very risky. I'm not a big FUE fan for a few reasons but it might be a good choice in your case because the strip scar definitly will show if shaved down

How old are you ?

chromedomefear

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm 34. My loss was halted while I was on Propecia. But now it seems to have progressed since I've been on Avodart. I'm thinking of switching back, but I'm not sure if there are any adverse affects or cons in doing so. Any info on that?

s.a.f

Reaction score
I've used both without getting any side efffects, currently using proscar.

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
chromedomefear said:
I'm 34. My loss was halted while I was on Propecia. But now it seems to have progressed since I've been on Avodart. I'm thinking of switching back, but I'm not sure if there are any adverse affects or cons in doing so. Any info on that?

I would switch back and get your loss under control before getting a hair transplant. I have had great results with Propecia/Noizoral 2% and Rogaine FOAM. I switched from liquid to foam about 14 months ago and the growth has been amazing

chromedomefear

Established Member
Reaction score
I switched from liquid to foam about 14 months ago and the growth has been amazing

Seriously? Everything I read says there's no difference in results with the foam. How do you apply it. Just put it on and let it sit, rub it in? My buddy puts it on with the applicator and then takes a hair brush and massages his scalp for a few minutes....says it stimulates the follicles....I don't know if I buy that or not.

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
chromedomefear said:
Seriously? Everything I read says there's no difference in results with the foam. How do you apply it. Just put it on and let it sit, rub it in? My buddy puts it on with the applicator and then takes a hair brush and massages his scalp for a few minutes....says it stimulates the follicles....I don't know if I buy that or not.

The only thing I do different is I use about twice the recommended dosage of foam because there is no way I could cover my entire head with what they say to use. I put on what i need to cover my head from hairline to crown and a can lasts me about 13 days.

http://s525.photobucket.com/albums/cc340/mikeb5555/

chromedomefear

Established Member
Reaction score
Holy sh#t HT55, if I had your hair problems I wouldn't even be on here. You've got a great head of hair. You're like one of those skinny model chicks that thinks they're fat. I'm jealous.