Cryton's Story - (Age 21, 2 year struggle!!)

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hey man, how long have you been on propecia? 1mg/finasteride day is really your best bet, and only hope. upping to 5mg/day, i feel, will not help. if you've only been on 1mg/day for a few months it's way too early to tell if you're a responder or not. have you worked the minoxidil foam into your regimen yet?

your hair looks great, minimal thinning - if it's really as bad as you say i'd like to see some pics that show that.

cryton

Reaction score
hi,

i have been on propecia (1mg /finasteride) for nearly two years now and 10% minoxidil liquid for one year. i am not new to taking meds at all just new to this forum and all the other stuff that is out there. My hair is thinning all over the top and half way down the sides and back it seems. i am stressing that it will lead to NW7! Most people have posted photos at the start of their treatment. I think my hair was a lot thicker a year ago and i am just stuck with what to do. yeah my photos seem ok but its the decline over time and i just want to combat it!

reg: propecia (1mg finasteride daily)
10% minoxidil (5% morning, 5% evening)
Nanothik shampoo (3x a week)

So do people use fincar because its just cheaper than propecia? If it gets cut into 5ths then its just the same dose i guess??

Do you reckon i should add nizoral to this?

cryton

Reaction score
hi guys it been a while,

would anyone please tell me how they get on with Nizoral as i am just not happy with what i am doing right now. Plus, have you all told your mates about the medication you take? i have been in the game for over 2yrs now and my mates are none the wiser. I am missing out on things as i feel like a prisnor trapped by my hair loss as they dont understand. i am sick of making excuses and how i feel my personality has changed.

just not sure where to go anymore!

Obsidian

Reaction score
Well all I can stress is calm down and think straight. Is there a lot of male pattern baldness in your family like NW6 or 7's? If you feel that finasteride might not be working as well anymore it is still probably maintaining you from going to complete s@$%. If you want you could try avodart/dustasteride but I would research into it more before trying it.

cryton

Reaction score
hi,

yeah my uncle and grandad are NW6/7. my dad is pretty dam thin on top also. there is a history of MLB in my family but mine has started earlier than any other male member.

it is sowly getting worse and the shedding just does not let up!

cryton

Reaction score
Hi all,

Minoxidil and propecia not working need to take action. I am toying with the idea of shaving my head, i know this is the last thing we all want to do, I am sick of spending ages on getting it right! Does it get rid of the anxiety? i just want to move on with my life and just come to terms with it.

I know all about the cycle of hair loss and reasons. You lose most of your hair when it is wet or when you are drying it right? Has anyone noticed that their hair has stayed the same since they have buzzed it? Surely if it is at length then it can pulled at and speed the process up of hair thinning.

Really need some answers or ideas!

Ian Curtis

Established Member
Reaction score
I dont see no thinning on your head, I've taken 5mg for almost a year, no side effects, now I take 2.5mg, i notice no difference.
Going from 1 mg to 5 mg would only give you minimal advantage on mantaining. If you have sides with 1 mg you would have a little more sides though I doubt it, the only difference would be how much you spend on the medication.

Deus_Ex_Lemur

Reaction score
I gotta say, maybe it's the small pictures, but except for the one when your hair was wet or gelled I could see very very little if any abormal thinning... when dry, it looked thick as a bush. That one cowlick at the crown isn't bad at all imo. I myself am a diffuse thinner...

Now you say we cant see from the pics how thin it really is, you may want to post new pics, a little larger and really try not to conceal it. Can't really give advice until you post newer pics to show your claims because from what is shown I would kill to have your hair...

Also if you have sides, don't increase, see a doctor first. And remember it takes TIME everyone reacts differently. A lot of people see sheds or not increase after a few months and get scared and abandon and their hair is reshocked and loses more hair. Back and forth on finasteride can be a rollercoaster. (I am not on it yet, Just know RL friends and from forums and research. Sort of scared to go on that ride =)

As for shorter/buzz, your hair is pretty short already from the top but cant see it all... but the shorter the hair the thicker it CAN look. It'll 100% look better imo than longer hair which I had and my hair broke more, it was terrible but I was scared to get it cut short (as in a butch cut, 1/4 all the way around). It WILL be harder to break your hairs but you will still lose hairs. AND - it's easier to apply any topical (mino) to scalp. And any sheds won't be as noticeable.

Anyways, post NEW *honest* pics will help more advice! =D Good luck mate!

cryton

Reaction score
Hi,

I dont know how to put larger photos on here. I used that image shack as you can see, but they come out really small. This all started just before i was 21 and i turn 24 next monday and have been on meds since the beginning. It just keeps getting thinner and thinner! I have regular check ups with a clinic in london called B.e.l.g.r.a.v.i.a Centre in London and they said last time in it had got thinner. I know that it is getting worse and photos will not show its true colours.

I will try and get some new pics on here because they were over 6 months old.

alan_

Reaction score
man, hate to hear it. im just now starting my battle against hair loss, and i hate hearing someone say theyre losing the fight.

i noticed my loss at 21 as well, just before my 22nd birthday. its been 8 months, and its just recently hit me that im probably not going to get what i lost back, and that im probably not going to keep it from happening further. no fun, for sure.

ah well, i hope you manage to find some success. the more i travel around these forums, the more i feel like the only thing i can really do is just accept things as they are :(

Mitchem

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey cryton,

Just reading your story and your feelings are exactly the same as mine. It's horrible the last few years i've changed, lost confidance, upset and stressed and like you I spend more time in my room than out with mates, its a killer. We went Ibiza in the summer and I could'nt even get in the pool because with my hair wet, my hair would of looked a mess. You're not on your own here.

I've just started with proscar and nizoral(I suggest you get this asap from boots) I've used these for 3 months and now I've just added minoxidil Foam to the hairline(I was going to try and hold out for a year before getting on it) as my left side was receading very bad so I jumped on it.

I really feel for you mate,my hair is very similar to your's. Make sure you get the nizoral it seems to have helped my hair the way it looks already.

You need any help just PM me. Keep strong fella

Mike, 25, Manchester.